It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Watson Of The Sea Shephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Hmmm....
Captain of a "reality" television show arrested...
This should make season....6? quite marketable.
I don't care for Watson and do not respect him either, he puts his people in danger as a matter of course, all the while he kicks back on the bridge, hardly dangerous at all.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

You clearly know nothing of the subject you speak of., and instead are blinded by your pre-determined opinion on the subject. And while I doubt you have any interest in educating yourself n the subject, I'd suggest READING a bit on it instead of constantly referring to one mall, out-of-context youtube video you clearly dont understand the details of.

You are basing your ENTIRE opinion on the topic on a sensationalized television show! READ, man READ! It'll do your brain some good.

Because as far as 'dangerous' more people are killed every year by bee stings and car accidents and the flu than they are by the tactics of the sea sheppard.

And if you knew even ONE THING about ships you would understand my point.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A LOT of ignorance on display in this thread, obviously perpetuated by those who have decided they dislike Paul Watson, but havent ever taken the time to educate themselves about what the Sea Sheppard does. They have never killed anyone in three decades of work. The ships they stop in the act of illegal fishing activities often lie about Watson (as is most likely the case in this incident in Costa Rica) while they themselves engage in truly dangerous and life threatening acts.

Watson will be cleared of the charges. They are more than likely bogus.

But the guys cutting the fins off of sharks may see prosecution. And that will likely bum some of you folks out.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by stanguilles7

They *might* damage a ship in a way that disables it, but not in a way that woud sink the ship in open water or cause any real harm to the crew.

A ship in a disabled state is a death sentence at sea.

If a car breaks down, you can pull to the side of the road and seek assistance. At sea, you have no such luxury.

Add a decent swell and the vessel is instantly in immediate danger of broach and subsequent capsizing.

As someone who has considerable experience working in the maritime industry, I can honestly say that there is no way in hell that you would get me onto any vessel that was under the command of Paul Watson.

Oh don't be so dramatic. We have this awesome new technology called radio and gps which can be utilized not to mention the fact that the ships they go up against are often 3 times as large. At least this guy has the guts to stand up for what he believes in. Instead of hiding behind procedure or a keyboard he is acting on his beliefs to protect a dying species actually several. In Australian waters the Japanese whaling fleet operate with impunity illegally in our waters despite our populations consensus against whaling and does our Gov do anything? No because they are worried it will affect relations and trade with the Japanese government.

And when your children and grand children ask what whales used to be like you can just point them to a dvd and say ah son we didn't really agree with the tactics of those who actually did something about illegal fishing so we locked them up and our government failed us. In reality you failed them because you didn't stand up for the little guy. You peeps over the pond have a very different view on the Good Captain than we do.

In this world there are doers and those who make excuses why they never did. So hide behind the red tape and crucify one of the only Citizens of this planet who has the stones do stop the carnage and when your old and grey on your death bed you can proudly look back on your life...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Secondly how would you know if the whales are not facing extinction? I am not aware of any conclusive research in this area.

Then you have not spent much time researching the topic.

Paul Watson encourages his followers to make up facts and data if needed to support their argument, is that what you are trying to do here?

No conclusive cetacean studies?

edit on 16-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

Can you please provide evidence to support your blanket statement re Paul encouraging his shipmates to make up facts and data? That is a very serious accusation to not provide some form of evidence smells like toropoo

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

You are basing your ENTIRE opinion on the topic on a sensationalized television show! READ, man READ! It'll do your brain some good.

No, I have formed my opinion from years of working on the water and first-hand knowledge of the sea by way of observation and interaction. I hold several maritime licenses including SCUBA and also refuse to fish nor eat it unless it comes from a sustainable source or farm.

You can be "environmentally friendly" without being a moron, as you can capitalise on natural resources without being greedy.

There must be a balance between the two or we all suffer.

Too "green" and people starve.

Too "greedy" and the natural resource is gone......forever.

Mankind has always lived on natural resources and seafood has always been a staple in many countries.

Now we are in a situation we the balance has tipped the wrong way........but unfortunately it isn't whaling* that is the problem....It is overfishing. *Whaling was a problem and legislation(by way of anti-whaling treaties) has proved effective as a way to increase whale populations.

The problem is in fact a crisis when you take into account of how many 3rd world nations rely on the oceans for staples.

IMHO western countries have a responsibility to create more marine reserves in order to protect the ecosystem and safeguard it from potential collapse.

Education programs(with varying success) have been undertaken to teach commercial fishermen in poor economies the value of protecting the natural resources but it needs to be taken to a broader audience.

edit on 16/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Your opinion on the subject is CLEARLY politically driven, and not interested in the facts.

That is obvious for all, now.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I have seen this show like twice and I can tell you that I admire the restraint of the Japanese Captain’s.

In international waters a hostile force attempting to board one's vessel can and if it were me would be summarily shot and thrown into the water.

Further any action by the dumb asses in the little zodiacs zipping around the front of my hull would be seen as an overt and hostile attempt to hazard my vessel and I would intentionally ram the crap out of them - dump them in the sea and run full throttle over their bodies.

While I respect the Sea Sheppard’s goals - they are idiots of the first order. They are also engaged in piracy in boarding other vessels and interfering with their legal right to ply their trade.

I would love just once for some Captain to ram the crap out of the Sheppard in one of those huge fishing vessels and film it as it sinks into the cold sea.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nietrick
reply to post by intrptr

Seethe all you like. Fact is, there is nothing noble in what Watson does. It's not about caring about whales. It's not about balance. It's about this man thinking what he thinks, feels and believes is more important than human lives, family incomes, private property, foreign sovereignty, and international law. It's about pushing HIS desires on others. This is the repeated theme with enviro-Nazis. Save the whales ( owls, newts, trees, fairy shrimp....and on and on) and damn the humans whose lives are effected by that self-righteousness.

You are clearly ignorant of the mass species die offs going on right now as well as the current state of the fishing industry due to over fishing and illegal fishing.
Of course the last bastion of one who hopes to vilify a person of an opposite view would be to call them or compare them to a Nazi.
You see its all a matter of perspective. After my own experiences and meetings with Whales on the water I would consider them a fellow intelligent earthling. As I am not discriminative on species where that is concerned I would place the same importance on that life as that of a human. If one human tried to kill another I would try and intervene where I could the same goes for other intelligent creatures. You naysayers of what the good Captain Paul is trying to achieve are just not conscious enough to get it.
Perhaps when the last elephant the last tiger the last Rhino the last Salmon is removed from our earth perhaps then you will start to get the idea of preserving and stuartship of this planet. Then again ignorance is bliss for some. Go back to your 40 ounce and shotgun on the porch you'll most likely never do anything to change this world to a better place in your lifetime anyways with that attitude your descendants will be so proud... Not.
edit on 16-5-2012 by Shirak because: /

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

So, basically, you are saying you wouldn't hesitate to murder people who are attempting to stop you from violating the law?

Are you call Watson 'dangerous'?

LOL. Hypocrites.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Your opinion on the subject is CLEARLY politically driven, and not interested in the facts.

That is obvious for all, now.

Politically driven?
Really?

What, did I reveal myself to being green?

edit on 16/5/2012 by OccamAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
#1 I am sure MR Watson is a better "skipper" than most.
#2 Harassing a Small Port whos lively hood is based on Whale Meat and everything else isnt what a "skipper" would do.
#3 He is wrong in this case

Other than that, keep pissing off the Japanese fleet, I dont quite understand why he is changing his Focus. (unless the ratings were starting to dip).

Anyone who goes on TV for a cause = Commercializing the Cause.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
I have seen this show like twice and I can tell you that I admire the restraint of the Japanese Captain’s.

In international waters a hostile force attempting to board one's vessel can and if it were me would be summarily shot and thrown into the water.

Further any action by the dumb asses in the little zodiacs zipping around the front of my hull would be seen as an overt and hostile attempt to hazard my vessel and I would intentionally ram the crap out of them - dump them in the sea and run full throttle over their bodies.

While I respect the Sea Sheppard’s goals - they are idiots of the first order. They are also engaged in piracy in boarding other vessels and interfering with their legal right to ply their trade.

I would love just once for some Captain to ram the crap out of the Sheppard in one of those huge fishing vessels and film it as it sinks into the cold sea.

Actually they are fishing illegally in Australian waters and the Gov won't do anything about it as they don't want to upset our trade deals.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by hoochymama
#1 I am sure MR Watson is a better "skipper" than most.
#2 Harassing a Small Port whos lively hood is based on Whale Meat and everything else isnt what a "skipper" would do.
#3 He is wrong in this case

Other than that, keep pissing off the Japanese fleet, I dont quite understand why he is changing his Focus. (unless the ratings were starting to dip).

Anyone who goes on TV for a cause = Commercializing the Cause.

Yeah m ore like they fleeced us for all the Tsunami aid we gave Japan. 30 million to be exact for the survivors and the whaling industry lobbied and got it all. They are not exactly a small company.
Source

The hunt, already controversial, has attracted greater ire from critics with an admission by the Japanese government that it is using funds earmarked for earthquake and tsunami reconstruction to subsidize the fleet's operations.

edit on 16-5-2012 by Shirak because: pic

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Actually they are fishing illegally in Australian waters and the Gov won't do anything about it as they don't want to upset our trade deals.

No, they are not.

They do refuel and refit in Australia and New Zealand though.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by Golf66

So, basically, you are saying you wouldn't hesitate to murder people who are attempting to stop you from violating the law?

Are you call Watson 'dangerous'?

LOL. Hypocrites.

You can bet he’d only hazard my crew and vessel once…

Piracy

Piracy (Maritime Law) Definition:
Violence or depredation on the high seas or in the air, for private ends, using aircraft or vessels.

He is not a law enforcement officer of any nation, he has no license from any government to enforce law anywhere…not that it’s be valid in international waters. That makes him a pirate entitled to be treated as the same.

A Captain at sea in international waters can and should use any means possible to protect his ship and crew. That includes lethal force.

When the Sea Sheppard buzzes my ship with their 1950's helo, I'd take that as a threat

When they approach to board and throw crap at my ship - a threat.

When they foul my lines and try to foul my screws I'd consider that a very threatening acts.

They even fly a version of the pirate flag.

IMO They are lucky some Captain has not gone medieval on their ass...

Their videos and crap won't do them any good if they are visiting Davey Jones Locker.

Play the game - pay the price. Can't be both an activist and pirate and not expect to face the consequences.

edit on 16/5/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by Shirak

No, they are not.

They do refuel and refit in Australia and New Zealand though.

By that one comment you have shown your ignorance of the real situation.
It is well documented through our media that it happens.
Japanese fleet ordered to leave Australian waters
Unlike Americas BP tainted waters and Japans radioactive sea we enjoy healthy fish and marine life which is treasured in our culture we want to keep it that way. Ever wonder why its happening? Its because they bled dry their own resources soon the parasite mentality of certain contingents of humanity will wreck it for our descendants. I dare you to take a swim in the gulf or off the coast of Japan. Don't look after your own backyard and soon you'll have nothing left.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Read the thread.

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

From the horses mouth....

In “Earthforce!,” Watson advises readers to make up facts and figures when they need to, and to deliver them to reporters confidently...

Neptune’s Navy

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak

Then he should follow from a safe distance - film, gather whatever evidence he wants then submit to the legal authorities for action.

Any intentional act of hazarding of another vessel at sea is no different than a civilian walking into a bank robbery and waving a gun around.

He has just taken a dangerous situation and made it worse.

Without any authority he's just as dangerous if not more so than the actual perpetrators.

When he engages in acts of piracy he defeats the purpose of his cause.

edit on 16/5/2012 by Golf66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

I find the real piracy stealing from our fishing and protected zones. He seems to be the only one taking action because his hands were until now not tied by red tape. Steal from my countries waters? That makes you a thief on the high seas in my books.
The man is a bloody legend over here.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join