It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The True Name Of GOD

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by abe froman

YHWH

Were these letters pronounced the same way as we pronounce them today? Like Jose is pronounced Hozay.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The Godname Yahweh is but one of ten Godnames that are assigned to the ten Sephiroth of the Tree of Life (Otz Chiim). But it is the most powerful because it expresses the creative (as opposed to formative) nature of the divine archetypes, being assigned to Chokmah, the second Sephirah, embodying the Pythagorean principle of apeiron, the Hindu "Brahma", the Kabbalistic "Abba" and the Tantric "Yang" polarity. The Godnames are mathematical prescriptions of the nature of reality. The person regarded by some as the world's leading expert on the mathematics of Kabbalah and how the Godnames mathematically determine the nature of holistic systems discusses their wonderful, mathematical power here and here
His website demonstrates (among many other things) the way in which the Divine Names Yahweh, Ehyeh, etc prescribe:
1. the dynamics and structure of superstrings;
2. the tone intervals of the notes belonging to the seven diatonic scales;
3. the codon/anticodon pattern of mRNA/tRNA;
3. the sacred geometries of the Tree of Life, Sri Yantra, Platonic solids and disdyakis triacontahedron.

If you want to understand what these ancient Hebrew words really mean, you need to go beyond etymology and get to grips with their mathematical nature.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AQuestion

Dear abe froman,

Which is more important, the sound of the name or the meaning of the name? While we may not know for sure what the sound was, we know that his name meant "I Am". All that can be is what we call the universe.

From my point of view should it not be rephrased so that no missinterpetation can be made. I am the ONE that is All. From ALL is ONE and ONE is ALL. But now I am not talking about religous termonology but what is the source of the religons. The thing you get if you dig to the core of spiritual experiances from all religon from my point of view.

But I am in a way of no religion and all religon at the same time so do not listen to me to much if you do not like a new age spritual viewpoint.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by micpsi
The Godname Yahweh is but one of ten Godnames that are assigned to the ten Sephiroth of the Tree of Life (Otz Chiim). But it is the most powerful because it expresses the creative (as opposed to formative) nature of the divine archetypes, being assigned to Chokmah, the second Sephirah, embodying the Pythagorean principle of apeiron, the Hindu "Brahma", the Kabbalistic "Abba" and the Tantric "Yang" polarity. The Godnames are mathematical prescriptions of the nature of reality. The person regarded by some as the world's leading expert on the mathematics of Kabbalah and how the Godnames mathematically determine the nature of holistic systems discusses their wonderful, mathematical power here and here
His website demonstrates (among many other things) the way in which the Divine Names Yahweh, Ehyeh, etc prescribe:
1. the dynamics and structure of superstrings;
2. the tone intervals of the notes belonging to the seven diatonic scales;
3. the codon/anticodon pattern of mRNA/tRNA;
3. the sacred geometries of the Tree of Life, Sri Yantra, Platonic solids and disdyakis triacontahedron.

If you want to understand what these ancient Hebrew words really mean, you need to go beyond etymology and get to grips with their mathematical nature.

Lol. Could not reach the links but just wanted to say you are playing around in another part of the rabbit hole that I have not explored. That was really cool. I wonder what else we do not understand yeet that have been hidden in plain sight. I think you just lighted up my day. Do they have any explanation to the repeating pattern of synchronicity? 11:11 kind or x:11*y or y(1)xy(1). Either I am being shown these patterns or I am attracting them.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by jmdewey60

When it says, "God is one.", it does not mean there is one god.
It means the various gods, as a collective, being addressed as a single unit.

Who are these "various gods"?
and who created them?

Who do you think is better to govern the universe? The One who created it.... or a committee of lesser beings, themselves being creations of the Creator?

edit on 13-5-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

Think of the ants. Single ants are not always so smart and intelligent but as a collective the become more than the sum of their parts. God have in a way splitt himself up to experiance things and is waiting for the parts to return. From my point god is right now a work in progress since I am not perfected yeet
. What do you think big bang was? One(god) splitting himself/herself up. I have probably been evolving for 13,7 billion years and I have still only evolved to human. If that do not crush my ego then I do not do what will

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abe froman
The ancient hebrews left us with "YHWH" as the name of GOD, but in an abbrieviated form,with all vowels removed, as was custom. Since then many religious scholars have tried to interpret these consonants to find God's name. Some sects of christianity have given us JEHOVA. Our muslim brothers have said this name is ALLAH,our jewish brothers say YAHWEH. Well, what do we all agree on? The first syllable of GOD's name is basically YA or AH. The last syllable of GOD's name is AH or EH . Something muslims, christians and jews can all agree on.(and there are very few things that they can all agree on) The middle part of the name, HW,HO, or LL, throughout all translations,produces essentially a very weak consonant structure, if any . So with all of this and given the pervasive linguistic structure of mankind, it seems that the true name of GOD is "AH HA" or basically " I get it, I understand", "EUREAKA!". "I have found it!". The true name of GOD is the moment of truth.
edit on 13-5-2012 by abe froman because: DIVINE INTERVENTION

But you assume of course that Yehova, Allah or Yahweh actually exists.
And where does he/she/it actually reside?
If god is a physical being, he/she/it musst live somewhere - agreed?

Then if he/she/it lives in heaven he/she/it is an extra-terrestial (ET) by definition.
"Eureka!!".

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Also Atum
The one Creator of gods and goddesses.
The name "god", "goddess" referring to natural laws.
In Ancient Egyptian Philosophy

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Abe

I'm not sure of your point here - are you referring to the post-exilic clan god of the Jews (i.e. YHWH - which the Septuaginta LXX Greek translation c. 250 BCE wrote out as 'IAUE' presumably something like 'yah-wweh') ?

Persons on this threadlet are referring to the post Exilic clan god of the Jews as 'God' for some reason. Sort of like using the term, 'THE PRESIDENT' and always refering to Millard Filmore.

But there were more than 40 US Presidents - and not all of them were called Millar Filmore. There were likewise several hundred gods and goddesses worshipped in the ancient Levant (e.g. EL, El-Elyon, El-Shaddai, Ba'al, YHWH, Asherah, Dagon, Sik'khun, Molek, Sin, Yam, Lotan (aka Leviathan), Mut (aka Mavet), Elohim, Shamash, Shapash, Amun, Ra, Amun-Ra, Lillitu, Ba'al Berith, Aset, Hadad, Ba'al Hadad, Anat, Baal-Haamon, etal.) worshipped at various times and in various places e.g. Ugarit, Shiloah, Megiddo, Kadesh, Jebus, Seccacah, Gaza, Ashkelon, Shechem, Sidon, Byblos, Hazor, Jericho, Gezer, Dan, etc. etc. etc. )

Most of these shrines of various preExilic Canaanite gods and goddesses were wiped out by the Assyrian invasions (c. 722 - 701 BCE) and the rest by the Babyloinian invasions c. 621 - 587 BCE - and consolidated over time where the cults of EL, Ba'al, ELOHIM and YHWH were blended into one single clan god after the Exile during Ezra's monotheistic reforms (c. 440 BCE).

So which god are you referring to now, exactly? There were so many in antiquity in the Levant is it hard to keep them all straight !

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

It is not Only an unknowable it is also an unammable. To experience that which is un experienced. Sorry to burst your bubble. What you offer is only conjecture. Define god through creation and by expressing love in your life.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

When you want to get to know someone,

The first thing you do

Is ask for their

Name........
edit on 13-5-2012 by dusty1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The Tetragrammaton (4 letters) is all we know. Prior to the destruction of the second temple the Jewish priests came to the conclusion that speaking his name regularly, and publicly was likely to subject his name to blasphemy which they considered as a violation of his Sacred Name. They stopped writing it and speaking it and forbade HIS names use in songs and stories. Eventually their protection of his name grew to the point where it was only spoken one day a year, on the day of atonement, it was spoken 10 times but only by the high priest.

Since it was no longer written or spoken after the destruction of the 2nd temple the true pronunciation was long. Since that time many have tried to discover the original pronunciation but all alternate names were eventually deemed to become possibly too common place such as ADONAI and ELOHIM which were quite frequently used in reference to him as HIS name. Many will be surprised to find that for a period of time he was also referred to as Ba'al.

His name is now an unknowable unspeakable name.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I always thought that yahwah, although a holy name and saying it, is the cover up of the REAL name. I figure the jews know

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Jordan River

Ah Ha?

Seriously?

More like Uh-Huh...

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Furbs
reply to post by Jordan River

Ah Ha?

Seriously?

More like Uh-Huh...

You get a *kiss* and a *shoulder shrug*,

follow up next time

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Hi Pixie

You wrote:

"...since [haShem] was no longer written or spoken after the Destruction of the 2nd Temple the true pronunciation was long [sic]

...since that time many have tried to discover the original pronunciation but all alternate names were eventually deemed to become possibly too common place such as ADONAI and ELOHIM which were quite frequently used in reference to him as HIS name.

Many will be surprised to find that for a period of time he was also referred to as Ba'al. His name is now an unknowable unspeakable name..."

UNQUOTE

I think you meant 'LOST' not ('long') in the first part of the opening quote above.

Howbeit, with just consonants to work with, the vowells can be added differently (e.g. YHWH). Some people add the VOWELS of EDONAI ('my lord' ; the term used to read the name in Synagogues during the 2nd Temple period) into YHWH and get YeHoWaH (i.e. Jehovah) which is a mis-pronunciation if we take the pointed (vowelled) version of haShem in Exodus chapter 3 into account in the Septuaginta (LXX Greek Torah Exod 3) version - where in the 'burning bush myth', the Greek texts includes a (rough?) pronunciation of the Name (i.e. haShem) as a TRANSLITERATION into GREEK LETTERS of the UNPOINTED (unvowelled) Hebrew 4-consonants (YHWH) as (in Greek Letters) = YAWUH with the vowells added (i.e. pointed).

That is about as close as we can get in terms of how YHWH was pronounced. Exactly when the name became forbidden to be spoken is not actually known - presumably by the time of Ezra's reforms c. 440 BCE the idea of the name of any god was linked to controlling its power i.e. to be used in magic spells.

In conversation it was referred to as ('haShem' i.e. 'the name') in legal blasphemy cases ('you will not take the Shem of YHWH your clan god in vain) at least by the time of the Macabbees certainly c. 163 BCE) and various methods of circumlocation were used to avoid actually pronouncing it (e.g. 'The Blessed One' or 'The Most High', 'Our Father' etc.)

That part of the LXX Greek Septuaginta was written c. 250 BCE - a full 320 years BEFORE the destruction of the 2nd Temple of YHWH at Jerusalem (the so-called Herodian Temple) by the Roman Army in 70 CE during the 1st Failed Jewish War against Rome (66-72 CE) in which most of the Tzaddukkim ('sons of Zadok' i.e. Saduccees or priests of YHWH, and high priests of YHWH at Jerusalem) would have died.

Howbeit, the title in this threadlet is 'the true name of GOD' which is misleading - since it SHOULD say 'the true name for the post-exilic clan-god of the Jews' - not 'name of GOD' - mainly because the name YHWH is merely the name of a local Levantine clan-god (i.e. the 'clan-god of the Jews' or 'the clan-god of the Hebrews...') and NOT that of any 'universal' god who actually tolerates goyim (i.e. non-Jews), at least to hear the priests of YHWH tell it in the 'bible'...

read: Judges 11:21-24

"Then YHWH, the clan-god of Yisro'el gave Sihon and his whole army into the hands of Yisro'el & they defeated them, so that Yisro'el took over all the land of the Amorites who had been living in that Countr, capturing all of it from the Arnon River to the Jabbok Brook and from the Wilderness [of Yehudah] to the Yordan.

And since YHWH the clan-god of Yisro'el had driven out the Amorites from before the face[s] of his People Yisro'el, what Right have you to seize it for yourselves?

Should you not seize ONLY that which YOUR OWN CLAN GOD CHEMOSH has already given into your hands?

Likewise, whatever YHWH our clan-god has already given into our hands, we will keep for ourselves....!"

We're not dealing with universal gods here, any more than Millard Filmore was the only President of the US. The term GOD is a TITLE; the term YHWH is the name of a local Yisro'elite clan-god, local to an area no bigger than the state of Delaware.

Clear as mud?

edit on 13-5-2012 by Sigismundus because: stuttering commmmputterrrrrrrr

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I am surprised that no-one has mentioned one possible understanding of God's identification of Himself to us:

Hebrew is a pictographic language, each letter had several levels of meaning:
It could be a number.
It could be letter.
It could be a concept (in one letter).
It could be a physical object (that the original form of the object represented.

Classical Hebrew Pictograms

Yodh was a pictogram for an arm and hand.
Heh was a pictogram for a man with his hands raised.
Vau was a pictogram for a hook or nail.

If Heh is assumed to be "to look" or "to see", then the meaning of the four characters (from right to left) is "see the nail, see the hand".

Who do you think was speaking from the burning bush?

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sigismundus

I think you meant 'LOST' not ('long') in the first part of the opening quote above.

You are right typo. I had read quite a bit of what you posted but was a bit hurried once I decided to post. When you start digging back into the biblical past there are a lot of things that are confusing.

One day I would like to learn some of those early biblical languages as they are written and see for myself what the early texts actually say for myself

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
May God bless and keep each one of you. Shalom and Amen.

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixiefyre

Hi Pixie

A good place to start would be Pritchard's collection called ANET ('Ancient Near Eastern Texts') which show how the various Canaanite clan-gods and goddesses (Marduk, Ashur, El, Ba'al, Re, Amun, Elohim, Chemosh, Dagon, Sikkhun, etc.) were all merged into a single clan-god YHWH after the Exile with the goddesses all expelled from the toybox.

It was originally released waaaay back in 1956, but since has been re-issued and supplemented. There are also a number of additional books which compile similar artifacts for comparison especially since 1970.

www.amazon.com...

We know from archaeology and from the very texts of the Hebrew 'scriptures' when compared closely to the kinds of texts that appear in ANET etc. that many of the earlier 'separate' clan gods and their temple and their cults (e.g. the Assyrian clan god ASHUR) had various gods with various attributes that were later given over to YHWH as early as the time of the 'mad' prophet Hezeki'el (c. 600 - 540 BCE) in chapters 1 and 10 of the oracles attributed to him 'and his school of prophets...' - e.g. Ashur the god of Assyria (whose armies invaded eretz Yisro'el c. 722 - 701 BCE) had FOUR FACES e.g. the Face of a Man, the Face of a Lion, the Face of a Bull (or ox?) and the Face of an Eagle; likewise according to the visions of Hezekiel, YHWH also had four faces, the Face of a Man, the Face of a Lion, the Face of a Bull (or ox?) and the Face of an Eagle.

This kind of merging and mingling of clan gods after invasions is called Syncretism - and we see alot of it going on with the invading 'tent dwelling' bedouin Hapiru (i.e. Hebrews) with their tent-dwelling clan-gods - as they moved into the Levant armed to the teeth - (Hapiru is an Egyptian word meaning 'land thief' or 'armed bedouin') c. 1100 BCE and merged (read: married into) the local established (read: temple building, goddess worshipping and city dwelling) civilisation living in the Levant millennia (e.g. in Ugarit).

In Egypt the temples of Amun and the temples of Ra became merged in antiquity - their priesthoods joined forces ('if you can't beat 'em...join 'em') to become more politically powerful and bam !! you have presto-chango, the new god Amun-Ra.

There are dozens of nations with their own separate clan-gods who god mingled in this way to form, well...new gods entirely e.g. the Roman god Serapis (who had his own Mystery Religion like Mithras or Attis or Cybele or Demeter etc.) whose name derives from TWO separate clan-gods, Hapi and Wusir (i.e. Apis and Osiris to use their much later Greek renditions).

Thus in ancient Yisro'el, the cults of Ba'al and the cults of YHWH (a cult is a temple with a priesthood - it has nothing to do with what Americans call a 'cult' - the term in actually neutral not pejorative) were blended so that the psalms of Ba'al (e.g. Psalm 29) had their original words changed from e.g. ('haBu Ba'al Benei Elim' = 'give to Ba'al [glory] all ye sons of the gods') to (haBu YHWH Benei Elim = render [glory] unto YHWH all ye sons of the gods etc.) where the BBB poetic alliteration is lost in the revision !

Likewise the clan god EL (or Bull-EL) was later mixed into the mythology of YHWH so that EL (or Elohim) which is translated 'GOD' in the King James ahd the god YHWH (translated as The LORD in the King James) were joined together to form a new hybrid deity e.g. YHWH-Elohim, which is translated in the King James Bible as 'The LORD GOD' - in writings after the Exile (post 587 BCE) especially by the time of Ezra's total re-writing of the 'Torah' c. 440 BCE using the new Square Aramaic Letters he used in Babylon (formerly Jews had no aleph-beth and had to use the Phoencian Canaanite aleph-bet of 22 'paleo Phoenecian Horned' letters that you can look up on google.

Interestingly, many of the Dead Sea Scrolls were copied out by scribal hands DELIEBRATELY using the older Phoenecian aleph-beth (even in texts clearly written after the time of Ezra in their present versions) - probably to add local 'antiquity' to their traditions and make it look 'seamless' (sort of like taking the play The Crucible by Arthur Miller and having it type set using fonts current in 1694 to give it more 'authenticity' despite the modern English language constructions that are employed throughout...)

Another good starter book on these issues (aka the Graf Wellhausen source critical method) would be Who Wrote the Bible by Richard Elliott Friedman, a pupl of the great Frank Cross of Harvard

www.amazon.com...

Elliott breaks down the sources used to write the Torah into common non-academic language - although my sister said she had to read the first three chapters it 4 times to understand all the 'new information' (which is actually 'old' info !!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Interesting theory.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join