It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PLEASE put this music where it belongs....inn "BTS"...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
"BTS"...."Below Top Secret"...the "Off Topic" arena....the BEST part of "ATS".....in reality.

So...."music"....please explain.

There are only "eight" (or maybe "twelve") notes, per a private 'U2U'.....in any case, even IF only "twelve" notes.....WHY are these so able to be so "diverse"???

Here.....listen to this (over an hour) example:

Now......HOW do "eight" (or "twelve") notes make such a beautiful combination??

(I have a "tin ear"....so, can anyone explain??)

edit on Fri 11 May 2012 by ProudBird because: Correct video....OOPS!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Well I don't know the "why" but I will say that is one lovely piece. I shall use it for a painting endeavor this wknd. I always dig semi-non repetitive and non lyrical music with 'feel' to it.
Nice find there bird

ETA: Found this:

The music of the Arab world is diverse; and includes several types of genres ranging from the classical tradition to the pop culture and from the sacred to the secular. While Arab music is an independent style of music with a distinct sound, it has a long history of interaction with different styles and genres of music from different cultures in the surrounding region. Among those interactions would be the translation of Greek texts and works of music which have had an influence on Arab music; as well as regional influences from the Byzantine Empire and North Africa. The history of Arab music can be traced back to the 5th century pre-Islamic era, or otherwise known as Jahiliyah; where music was traditionally performed by the Qiyan, a class of women who were considered both servants and trained musicians.

According to Hasan Habib Touma’s book, The Music of the Arabs, there are five components in Arab music which he explains in this way:

A tone system with specific interval structures
Rhythmic-temporal structures that produce a rich variety of rhythmic patterns, used to accompany the metered vocal and instrumental genres and give them form.
Musical instruments that are found throughout the Arabian world and that represent a standardized tone system, are played with standardized performance techniques, and exhibit similar details in construction and design.
Specific social contexts for the making of music, whereby musical genres can be classified as urban (music of the city inhabitants), or Bedouin (music of the desert inhabitants). By way of example, consider the Bedouin, by virtue of mass media, can listen to any kind of music in his desert tent but who would never make music himself outside of a specific context.
A musical mentality that is responsible for the aesthetic homogeneity of the tonal-spatial and rhythmic-temporal structures in Arabian music, whether composed or improvised, instrumental or vocal, secular or scared.

More Here
Learn something new everyday here.

Peace
edit on 11-5-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

THANK you.....

Hope music inspires you, inn (sic) your creative endeavors............(sic).....

I like these tunes....amazing how a few "notes" can be "arranged"...(Of course, there is a modern "back beat" as well....still......this could be done, in ancient times, with "drums"...I suppose....).........

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I just sampled a few tracks from what you posted, and it's amazing.

I've been looking for a place to post this Bulgarian Folk song.
Not Arabic music, but seems to possess some of the same mystical qualities.
the harmonies seem dissonant in style...But to me, it's just very haunting.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

THANKS, "SD".....music is amazing,to my "tin ear".......HOW can just a few "notes" be arranged in so many different ways??

From Beethoven to Mozart..to modern music.....it is AMAZING!!!!

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Thank you.....music is fundamental to Humanity....not sure why, but it IS!

A "dozen" notes..... A few octaves.....quite fascinating, music.....

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Well, that fact that you even noticed, tells me that there's more than tin, in them thar ears..LOL

Plus, just because there are such a limited number of notes..doesn;t mean they can't spew forth from hundreds of different instruments, all having their own special timbre, or tonal quality. Even within the same instrument, there can be different timbres. and different attacks on the note. Like plucking a violin, versus drawing the bow across the same string.....It's endless, the musical language. And everyone can enjoy it, even if it's in another language..

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

i could notopen the link so let metry this one for you to see if it will work here

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
ok it seems to work then again why not see this one
www.virtualmusicalinstruments.com...
edit on 11-5-2012 by nii900 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
There are many advanced methods and techniques in musical theory. Much of it involves mathematics. Let's stick to the basics for now.

The musical alphabet has 12 notes. This is called the chromatic scale. Notes are played in intervals of whole and half steps. Natural notes are A B C D E F G in between some of the natural notes are notes called sharps and flats.

There are many different musical scales that can played. The most well known is the Major scale or Ionian scale. Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do. The interval between the two notes Do and Do is called an Octave. The Major scale has 7 modes. One mode is called the Minor scale or Aeolian scale. These scales are the basis for nearly all other scales. Scales are used to create melodies and also harmonies. Scales are used as a lead voice in songs.

Some of the other common scales the Pentatonic scale, blues scale, harmonic and melodic scales.

Using scales a musician has many options. Playing different patterns and arpeggios to create different moods, melodies and tones.

Along with individual notes and scales. A musician can use chords. A combination of notes. Usually at least three or more. Chords and chord progressions are usually the basic building blocks of songs. They are often part of the rythm section. There so many different chords it would take a long time to list them. Each chord can be played in different Octaves just like notes. This gives a different "voicing" to the chord.

There is much more that a musician can do to uniquely create different sounds using the above. But for now let's move on to the importance of timing in music. Timing is hugely important. Not just a fast song or slow song. But the style and mood is altered by the timing within a song. Silence is also a part of a song. A long pause can create a dramatic effect. The volume is also another tool a musician uses.

Staccato, vibrato, crescendo and these other techniques below all play a part in the tone we hear from music.

al niente: to nothing; fade to silence.

calando: becoming smaller

calmando: become calm

crescendo: becoming stronger

dal niente: from nothing; out of silence

decrescendo or diminuendo: becoming softer

fortepiano: loud and accented and then immediately soft

fortissimo piano: very loud and then immediately soft

in rilievo: in relief (French en dehors: outwards); indicates that a particular instrument or part is to play louder than
the others so as to stand out over the ensemble.

perdendo or perdendosi: losing volume, fading into nothing, dying away

mezzoforte piano: moderately strong and then immediately soft

morendo: dying away (may also indicate a tempo change)

marcato: stressed, pronounced

pianoforte: soft and then immediately strong

sforzando piano: with marked and sudden emphasis, then immediately soft

sotto voce: in an undertone (whispered or unvoiced)[11]

smorzando: dying away
[edit]

Below is a musical tool used to find relationships between relative notes based on mathematical intervals.

Circle of Fifths

These are just some of the basic methods that musicians use to create unique combination of the same 12 notes. If you were to try to calculate the possible combinations the numbers would be astounding. We may be given only 12 notes. But the variables are too many to list in a short post and the position of each variable matters greatly.

Sort of like if you played the lotto and had to get each winning lotto number in the exact correct order and you have to pick 100 numbers from a pool of 1000 numbers. The combinations are endless.

top topics

join