It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New anti-piracy propaganda to run before movies, courtesy of FBI, ICE, and MPAA

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

lol

Oh look the piracy didn't destroy the industry after all

You think that they would have realized that before making a part 2......

In this sequel to 1992's "Don't Copy That Floppy," MC Double Def DP continues his crusade against piracy in the digital age. Brought to you by SIIA

The Software & Information Industry Association is the principal trade association for the software and digital content industries. SIIA provides global services in government relations, business development, corporate education and intellectual property protection to the leading companies that are setting the pace for the digital age.

www.siia.net...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Anything that they can do to demonize people who they think are taking their profits. Forget about the crappy economy and that 95% of the stuff they pump out is pure garbage.

Granted, but if you think it's garbage, why bother watching it to begin with?
Stealing is stealing.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Juggernog

lol

Oh look the piracy didn't destroy the industry after all

You think that they would have realized that before making a part 2......

In this sequel to 1992's "Don't Copy That Floppy," MC Double Def DP continues his crusade against piracy in the digital age. Brought to you by SIIA

The Software & Information Industry Association is the principal trade association for the software and digital content industries. SIIA provides global services in government relations, business development, corporate education and intellectual property protection to the leading companies that are setting the pace for the digital age.

www.siia.net...

Damn, that was way worse than the first one. I think its hilarious how they try to make the claim that pirating automatically means bootlegging.
Ill admit, I have downloaded or copied hundreds of games and movies, mostly movies and have never made one cent off of any of them.
Hell, everyone and their mothers know how to download/copy, theres no need to buy or sell bootlegs.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sligtlyskeptical
Why does anyone have a problem with this? It is all pretty factual. Just because you don't agree with it, doesn't mean it isn't true. If you are violating these copyrights you are a thief plain and simple.

Agreed. These movies take millions to make and just as much to distribute and advertise.
When people illegally download a movie, they're not just hurting the "corporate" movie making millionaires, they're also hurting the craftsmen and women who do the work on these movies, regular folk like you and I.

The same people that will claim that "stealing these movies is fine because these rich bastards are stealing our money anyhow", will turn around and call the Occupy Advocates "lazy folks just looking for a handout from the 1%, angry because they aren't a success."

Don't forget, not all movies are corporate affairs. Most of the better films these days are independent flicks, which take a serious punch when people illegally download their work. They usually put themselves in debt making their movies, and if the movie flops they're screwed for life. People should ponder that for a moment before downloading.

edit on 11-5-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yeah, that'll stop em'

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wanted to add this little tidbit....

"The Avengers" holds the record for highest opening box-office weekend. It will probably hit a billion dollars after this weekend.

"The Avengers" also now likely holds the record for most downloaded CAM rip of any movie.

The Avengers Demonstrates Piracy's Overstated Effect on Ticket Sales

However, despite setting piracy records, all that’s really happened is that this has shown how much illegal downloads of in-theater movies really does not effect box office tallies. Even if you’re using the skewed math that says every download is a lost sale, the pirates would only make up 0.5% of the revenues of the film so far.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Also insightful. Here is Neil Gaiman (a popular writer in the comic book industry) on the topic of piracy.

ETA

In a nutshell, he explains how MORE Piracy = MORE Sales.

If anything Hollywood should turn a bind eye at the issue. IMO, had I seen the CAM rip of Avengers before I saw it in IMAX 3D, I probably would have stopped it half way through and rushed to a theater to see it.

But alas, I saw it in IMAX 3D first.... because well, it's the FREAKIN AVENGERS BY JOSS (Holy @#$ He Killed Another Character) WHEDON.... *pours a drink on the floor for Kitty*

edit on 11-5-2012 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daemonicon
Not that I think the messages are necessary, but do you think that just because YOU paid for it, it grants you the right to give friends/family the movie to copy? Not saying you would specifically, but that is the audience the message is intended for.

Fine to buy the movie, but the distribution of it is the illegal part.

Oh yeah? Let's say you buy the movie and bring it home and watch it with your wife. Your wife didn't pay to see the movie, so should you be arrested for letting someone who didn't pay for it watch it? Should your wife be arrested for watching a movie she didn't pay for? That obviously sounds ridiculous. But what's the difference between letting your wife watch it, and letting a friend who stopped by watch it? Should you or your friend be arrested? Probably not. Going even further, what's the difference between sharing with your wife or sharing with some random unknown person somewhere else in the world? There isn't one, but the government and media companies would have anyone who downloads a movie likened to people who mass-produce dvd copies by the thousands and SELL THEM for their own profit.

I download movies I've already seen.
I download movies out of boredom that I would not buy or watch were they not otherwise free.
I do the economy NO HARM and I am NOT A CRIMINAL for it.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by trollz
Going even further, what's the difference between sharing with your wife or sharing with some random unknown person somewhere else in the world? There isn't one, but the government and media companies would have anyone who downloads a movie likened to people who mass-produce dvd copies by the thousands and SELL THEM for their own profit.
If you do not make another copy of the movie then there isn't any difference, but once you copy it to give it to another person you are doing something that is not allowed.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

That's worse than the original, and it didn't work either.

This is clip that most DVDs here in Portugal have.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Film industry makes their biggest profits on opening nights at the theater, or pay per view channels.
Music industry is a bit in trouble, they gotta do more concerts and such. They ultimately aren't making as much, I would say they have reason to moan a bit.

Games...if you pirate a game, especially a good game, you are a scumbag until you pay for that game legit. Avid PC gamers should make it a point to purchase games they liked (and especially loved). I don't moan much about people whom download a game they have no clue about and wasn't planning on buying to begin with, but when you find out its pretty damn good, buy it..else there will be no sequals, and the company will marginalize the PC gamer market even more.

There is no excuse..there is no noble cause, no pedantic hair splitting about how its copywrite infringement verses stealing, etc...your a douche, now make it right.

Incidently, I am not free from this practice..but I do make it a point to purchase a game if I find entertainment in it...I loved portal (someone bought it for me actually), got portal 2 off back channels, loved it, felt like a scumbag, so purchased it legit. and enjoyed multiplayer
. Same with dragon age, anno, fallout 3/nv, oblivion, and a number of other games...if you like it even a bit, and want to see a new series come from it..buy it.

Anyone whom pirated mass effect 2 and hasn't bought it, buy it now..do the right thing.

-gamer-

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

I'm not sure why, to be honest. But that's not really the issue. The issue is that there are other reasons that the profits of Hollywood, etc. have taken a hit besides piracy, namely the two that I pointed out.

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

If I were making a profit, I might have enough sense to realize that if somebody is going to spend the effort to pirate it, they were probably never going to buy it in the first place. Because, from what I've seen, people will just go out and buy it if they really, really want it.

And if there's an entire government agency devoted to the one thing, it really is demonizing it.
edit on 12-5-2012 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
A lot of piracy is due a broken distribution system rooted in the past.

People these days wont wait for the content to be slowly pushed round the world milking each region in turn. Thats what they don't get.

For example, if a hit show is available on hulu in the usa and not available to buy legally in europe then downloads will occur. If they didn't want it taken from torrents they should have made it available to purchase.

Once it becomes available it has to be available all at once, from all avenues.

The attack isn't on the artists, its on the middle distributors. If Sony makes the film i should be able to get it from Sony on the day of release. Its the middlemen who are all doomed unless they can offer an experience thats way in advance of what can be had in the home.

posted on May, 13 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I consider intellectual property to be both a morally and rationally illegitimate concept. The actions of Monsanto have also proven that it is a concept which is entirely capable of posing a threat to the entirety of carbon based life on this planet.

The Immigration and Customs Enforcement Bureau, and the Department of Homeland Security, are also recognised and acknowledged as fundamentally totalitarian organisations, and blatant imitations of the worst traditions of Adolf Hitler. They are fascist, according to Mussolini's specific definition of that term, in that a good part of their role is to enforce corporate and governmental interests, in direct opposition to, and at the expense and detriment of, the American people. They do not exist in any measure to safeguard the public, but conversely, were founded for the specific purpose of harming it.
edit on 13-5-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
I consider intellectual property to be both a morally and rationally illegitimate concept.
Are you an artist?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by petrus4
I consider intellectual property to be both a morally and rationally illegitimate concept.
Are you an artist?

Yes, actually. I've done paid web development work before, which involved graphic design. I also did map editing with Unreal Tournament for probably five years, but never really uploaded anything. I've also done a fair amount of UNIX shell scripting.

As far as I'm concerned, artists who accept the media industry's propaganda are brainwashed; especially considering that said media industry itself treats them like dairy cattle. I didn't have a huge amount of difficulty finding the web development gigs I had, and after I'd been paid the once, I couldn't have given a damn whether or not the material I produced was copied.

The entire idea of passive/royalty based income is immoral, in my mind. If I work on something, I will accept payment once, for labour. If I want more money, I do more work. Society is full of people at this point who want something for nothing; the entire concept of royalties is based on that. It's all just corporate megalomania and greed.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I understand what you mean.

How would you feel if you were paid for some work for a company and then seeing your work used by the same company in a completely different way, just so they would not need to pay you or any other person to do the new job?
edit on 15/5/2012 by ArMaP because: write "they" instead of "then"

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
reply to post by petrus4

I understand what you mean.

How would you feel if you were paid for some work for a company and then seeing your work used by the same company in a completely different way, just so they would not need to pay you or any other person to do the new job?

I probably wouldn't care all that much, and would look for something else to do. The type of behaviour you're describing, is the sort of thing which corporations do as a matter of course. There are generally ways around it.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I asked because that's (almost) what happened to my sister. She did a drawing for some Port wine labels, but the Portuguese Authors Society said that the contract should say that the drawing could only appear on the labels, so if they wanted to use it in something else they couldn't without my sister's consent, unless it was something like a photo of a bottle, for example, in which the label was visible.

Some time later my sister was informed by the Authors Society that the Port wine company was using the drawing for something else, but they had made the company stop.

In this case, even if the artist doesn't care about it, the Authors Society does, probably because they have a (small) percentage of what their associates get for their works.

In the end, it's mostly about the money, less about the artists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join