It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything you know about Anonymous is wrong

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Whether viewed as heroes or villains, much of what is stated about Anonymous is exaggeration.

I've never commented too much on the Anon threads, as I've been an observer and held back my overall opinion about who or what they were and what they truly represent. That being said, I have to say I agree completely with this article.

I think we have a lot of youngsters that want to be a part of something and they most certainly embellish when talking about the tasks they undertake. I'm not discounting real hackers by any means.

What is Anonymous?

To some critics, the protest actions taken under the banner of Anonymous will be used by governments to exercise their repressive impulses. Internet critic Evgeny Morozov puts this position in no uncertain terms: "Hacktivists keep supplying the industry with strong examples as to why more public money should be spent beefing up Internet security and surveillance while eliminating online anonymity."

To others, Anonymous represents the finest the internet has to politically offer: "Anonymous demonstrates one of the new core aspects of power in a networked, democratic society: Individuals are vastly more effective and less susceptible to manipulation, control, and suppression by traditional sources of power than they were even a decade ago," writes legal scholar Yochai Benkler.

We have members on both sides of the fence here, but we also have those that believe that Anon is just another tool by the alphabets such as the CIA.

The article goes on to discuss three major points.

• They exist in the internet ether
  • They can unleash unfathomable evil
  • Their political impact is negligible

I'll let you read the article for more information, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Original Article Source

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well one thing is for sure, they have the money on the back end to support their habit, now who is funding them is a question that should be answered, but these guys are not low tech on computers. They have the most robust computers that cost probably an average user more than $5000. And they have been hacking for more then over 10 years. They definitely aren't newbies.
edit on 8-5-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ok, with all the BS about Anon, I really have to clarify....

Anonymous is a group that targets websites, and that is all.

It is a group of online game players that get together in a forum and decide which site to flood next, nothing more, nothing less.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but all of the videos, news, etc, are false.

I can't post a link without exposing who they are and what they do, but this is the absolute truth....PM me and I will give you the site where you can join to bomb websites so you will see this is who they are.............. no conspiracy, sorry...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

I don't need to PM you for the DDOS LOIC.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by freespirit1

perhaps your right, but what about the copycats? The real Anonymous ones, that are potential website or beyond terrorists that will use the banner of Anonymous to further there own agenda's. Perhaps you are wrong and there is a conspiracy in all this, a self-fulfilling one. either way if Anonymous is a govt agency, gamer hackers or lone gunmen the title of this thread deserves a star and a flag for the truth

Everything you know about Anonymous is wrong

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected to Anonymous or it's affiliates
edit on 8-5-2012 by gaurdian2012 because: obama pre crime law

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
They are weeaboos that launch DDOS attacks

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I agree, that's been my assumption all along, it's both. They are a genuine group of angry people tired of the lies and manipulation. But just like our government, they are still susceptible to arrogance, to hubris.

Why fund and direct the group when you know what they want, and you can spin it to turn it into what you want? Why infiltrate anonymous when you can just leave the back door open? It's pretty simple really. Let them wreak cyber havoc and you can get your crackdown without having to fund them.

As Manhater stated, many have high end computers, but with the right knowledge you can take a lower tech model and hack just as well. It's not always about the most expensive machine, it's about the knowledge behind it

So I don't believe everything I think of anonymous is wrong, I think it's just simpler than people think it is. I think the gov is just letting them go to town untill the moment is right, while anonymous wouldn't consider this, they will just think themselves to be hacking geniuses

Straight out of sun tsu's "the art of war".. Make the enemy think you are weak untill you can use it to your advantage
edit on 8-5-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
One of the "problems" in trying to figure out what anonymous is, is that it's been around since...before 2004? What and who it was is a lot different than what it is now. Similar probably to ATS, those that found ATS early on had to have certain traits that were more prominent than the members that joined rather casually years later. The history isn't really known besides the relatively small group that started it.

As far as $5000 computers, that's a bit of a stretch considering the vast majority was/is still in their schooling years.
edit on 5/8/2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Turq1

Basically it's a man spending money on rims to his car and stereo speaker system. That's the way the computers hackers spend, but only in computer parts and it most likely runs past $5000, you can't forget about the software they use.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Sorry to disappoint, and disagree.

I can built a top notch system for under $2000. With SSD (Solid state drives), 8 - 16 core processors, and 16 gb Ram. in a nice Liquid cooled case, blueray burner.. 1200 watt powersupply. and toss in a few 1 terabyte hard-drives in an external (usb / ESata) case for offline storage. and there you have a top of the line computer that'll do anything from check your spam, to brute forcing an attack on a passworded site / file in record time.

A lot of the "hack"ware is "self" written with a mediocre level of programming skill.. no cost for making your own software.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
Ok, with all the BS about Anon, I really have to clarify....

Anonymous is a group that targets websites, and that is all.

It is a group of online game players that get together in a forum and decide which site to flood next, nothing more, nothing less.

I am sorry to burst your bubble, but all of the videos, news, etc, are false.

I can't post a link without exposing who they are and what they do, but this is the absolute truth....PM me and I will give you the site where you can join to bomb websites so you will see this is who they are.............. no conspiracy, sorry...

There's one of you in almost every Anonymous thread....wrong.

Try doing some research please : www.abovetopsecret.com...

Oh and you can't expose who they are and what they do either, not a chance. You haven't got anywhere near the ability to do that, so that's wrong too. A lot of them are top hackers from several countries across the world, so wake up. You wouldn't know where to begin, so stop stroking your delusional ego please!
edit on 9-5-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I can bet you a million dollars that any GAMER has a better rig than 99% of anon. I don't see what difference it makes, you don't need a super computer to run a console and type instructions.

Saying Anon have brilliant computers, therefore they must be the best hackers, is as much disinfo as saying anon are the cia.

And hacking has been around since phones. Well before the internet and home computers as we know it.

new topics

top topics

join