It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite Bible story or quote?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Cool. I'm glad we're on the same page.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

You say ridicule, but I truly believe Jack and the Beanstalk is a variation of David and Goliath.

Jack vs. David

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

One of the neat things that I found out Jesus said, through reading one of those Guide Book series, was the following verse, and when I found out he said that, I thought that was some true wisdom right there. I found it in the " Cool stuff Jesus said" section.

www.biblegateway.com...

Matthew 7:3-4

3 “And why worry about a speck in your friend’s eye[a] when you have a log in your own? 4 How can you think of saying to your friend, ‘Let me help you get rid of that speck in your eye,’ when you can’t see past the log in your own eye?

edit on 8-5-2012 by ThreeSabbathMeals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Good topic OP.
I expected a serious discussion of opinions...instead the thread gets trolled like crazy, pathetic.
There are some pretty offensive replies in this thread... I was going to post a different quote but based on these responses I like this one.
Ezekiel 38: 22-23
The Divine Name King James Bible

22 And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone. 23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am Jehovah.

All these doubters, cynics, and spiritual trolls and will be forced at some point to acknowledge God.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by Sahabi

I just wanted to say...

You're not my brother, as your avatar suggests. You would be buried by now.
edit on CTuesdaypm484819f19America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

We will surely die as we surely live. Be patient my friend, I shall die one day.

But why do you say such a thing to me?

edit on 5/8/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sahabi

reply to post by Sahabi

I just wanted to say...

You're not my brother, as your avatar suggests. You would be buried by now.
edit on CTuesdaypm484819f19America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

We will surely die as we surely live. Be patient my friend, I shall die one day.

But why do you say such a thing to me?

edit on 5/8/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

Which one of you is Cain and which one Abel?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Haha!!!!

If my brother seeks to kill me, I shall utterly putteth him into a headlock until the fool comes to his senses

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
Good topic OP.
I expected a serious discussion of opinions...instead the thread gets trolled like crazy, pathetic.
There are some pretty offensive replies in this thread... I was going to post a different quote but based on these responses I like this one.
Ezekiel 38: 22-23
The Divine Name King James Bible

22 And I will plead against him with pestilence and with blood; and I will rain upon him, and upon his bands, and upon the many people that are with him, an overflowing rain, and great hailstones, fire, and brimstone. 23 Thus will I magnify myself, and sanctify myself; and I will be known in the eyes of many nations, and they shall know that I am Jehovah.

All these doubters, cynics, and spiritual trolls and will be forced at some point to acknowledge God.

I agree with you.

Proverbs 27

27 Don’t brag about tomorrow,
since you don’t know what the day will bring.

I'm glad this man got the opportunity to turn himself around.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Yeshua's resurrection i like the best, but i also like when he walked through the closed door in the upper room as a spirit and the disciples freaked because they thought he was a ghost until they touched him and hugged him. That would have been a robe changing event for me.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Quoting or citing the scripture on this would really contribute to this thread, don't you think? Otherwise, it seems like made up stuff.
edit on 8-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Oh, this post has probably gone down the toilet to the trolls already. Well dunk my head and call me the swirly queen, I not only have a favorite but it is tattooed on my back.

"I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him" 1 Samuel 1:27

Also known as Hannah's prayer.

Before I got pregnant I was in a lifestyle that I wasn't proud of. Little to no income, had a boyfriend (obviously) and we knew, everntually, we'd move to the next step but when? It just felt like I was on a treadmill in my life. I was a gambling addict, to the point where my income was gone the day I got it, and then I would think, "Well that was dumb..." then go back the next week. I needed something to help me, something unexpected, something as a blessing I never thought I would have.
Well, I got a blessing alright. (and yes, I know how it happened. I'm not talking about the biology aspect of it.)

I never thought I'd have kids. Oh, biologically I can guarantee I'd be a fertile myrtle if I wanted to be. I don't LIKE kids. I never thought I would WILLINGLY have a kid, is what I mean. And now I do. I have the most wonderful, loving, sweetest, most PRECIOUS thing I have ever had in my life, my (now) 3 year old. He is everything I have ever hoped, prayed, cried, dreamed, or could have asked for (rhetorically, anyway...remember, I never thought I'd *want* a child)

When he was almost 2 years old, I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, I was 25. I can still have kids, but now there is a fear in my mind, can I pass this on? The organ came out, so the cancer in me is gone, but thyroid problems can be passed on...so now, I have my one very, very precious son...something I never thought I'd NEED so badly.

I have not gambled/rolled dice/whatever you want to classify what I was doing...in almost 2 years.
I also drink a LOT less, pretty much never.
I'm also in college, making a 3.9 GPA.
I attend a church. Some of my very best friends I've met through church, that horrid place I once left behind, thinking it wouldnt be any good for me, and that I could do it on my own.

My son was dedicated when he was about 5 months old...we say prayer before dinner and I feel like I have really helped myself, my life, and now my family that is keeping me glued together. Even if the dedication ends when he's old enough to "make his own decisions", I've done my part...God, please help me, give me what YOU feel would straighten me out...and sure enough, I got what I prayed for.
Something I never thought I'd want, as I coasted through life on my treadmill.

OP, sorry for the novel I just wrote...but I guess it answered the question

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

mine is , the binding of isacc - lays bare the entire psychology of the cult

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Jesus said, "If a man comes to you and is hungry, and you say I will pray for you and go away, you have done nothing for that man. First, feed the man, and then pray for him."

Jesus is the man!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

oh that's easy...

"Ye Are Gods"

which ever particular reference...

John, Corinthians.. Psalms..

edit on 8-5-2012 by reeferman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I like the part when God expects Adam and Eve to know that disobeying him by eating the fruit of good and evil is, in itself, evil. All without even touching the fruit in the first place! Sums up the bible and all what it's about quick and to the point.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Favorite Quote...... THOUGH SHALT NOT JUDGE.......

EXCEPT IF UR CHRISTIAN.... THEN ITS OK, RIIIIIIIIGHT????

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

reply to post by JustBreathe11

Are you capable in speaking in your own words? I've heard of the phrase "talking for someone", but I've never heard it applied to a book. It's like you stuffed your mouth with pages from Psalms, and every time you speak, a piece of it flies out instead of words, like the original-thoughts kind of words.

You have taught me something new today, and for that, I give you...nothing. -poker face-
edit on CTuesdaypm535336f36America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

You need to READ the title of the thread again and stop trolling it. The OP doesn't ask anyone to discredit a religion or bad mouth their God. We are just sharing some of our favorite passages, that is all. Every comment you've made on this thread showed your level of maturity and totally ruined and sidetracked the thread into a direction the OP didn't intend for it to go. One thing I will tell you is, when someone resorts to insults in any argument, it usually indicates emptiness where thoughts are formed.

I will leave you with one of my favorite quotes

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
i like the one with the talking snake LOL

you want real answers? dont post about jesus in a conspiracy site LOL
edit on 8-5-2012 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jazzguy

He Wept.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
OK, I skimmed page 1, little to see there of interest, skipped 2 & 3. Serious post here, no trolling.

I love the story of Jacob, how he went to his uncle Laban's house in Haran, hoping to find a wife. However, he arrived with only the clothes on his back, and how did that happen? When his father Isaac went to Haran for a wife, he took ten servants, ten camels, and a goodly bride-price with him. Arriving without these things would have been an insult, and so, Jacob worked for his uncle for some twenty years for Leah, Rachel, and a "grubstake." The reason for his destitution is told in the Book of Jasher.

Further, we see the self-serving character of Laban. Looking earlier in the story, we see that Jacob's mother Rebecca had the same self-serving characteristic. Of course - they're brother and sister! Peas in a pod! This lends the story considerable authenticity to me, especially as it is not belabored in the story.

This story resonates with me, as this story is handed down in family lore: My great-grandfather fell in with the Paiute tribe (another long story in itself), but decided to leave them, and walked back east with just the clothes on his back. Reaching Iowa on foot (he must have been quite ragged/dirty), he found employment with a man, and courted the man's two daughters. One would have nothing to do with him, but he married the other. In time, he became wealthy.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join