It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite Bible story or quote?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719

Originally posted by Starchild23
I like the one where Jesus died...it made me laugh.

Starchild23....you are obviously a semi-seasoned member considering your amount of posts.
What a shame.
What a way to set an example! Good job!

So I take it you don't like the story where Jesus died? Isn't the whole premise of the book kinda built on that?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Like I said, I could care less what you think about Christians, the Bible, or Jesus.
It's not like I'm going to hell for your ignorance.
My point is (which you keep avoiding) your input has no place in this thread.
You are only trying to stir emotions.
Grow up.

How selfish of you to say that someone's satire is solely for the benefit to stir emotions. As if you are the sole person intended to read it and it should only affect you yourself. Or are you speaking on the behalf of others?

There are plenty of cases where comedy/satire has been used to speak the truth because the actual truth could get you killed. And there are a number of people today that will question themselves and their beliefs simply because of a little sense spoken in the nonsensical.

The History of persecutions by Christians started with the Persecution of Pagans by the Christian Roman Empire, and includes phenomena like the Crusades (from 11th till 13th century), and the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition (from the 12th century), the suppression of heresy, Crypto-Judaism, Witch-hunt and the Witch trials in the Early Modern period, Persecution of Buddhists, Persecution of Muslims, Violence against LGBT people, Discrimination against atheists and other events.

I suppose it would have been easier to just label us heretics and be done with us though....
edit on 8-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25
reply to post by windword

Hopefully you find that amusing but don't believe that Jesus was being prejudice with that example.

I don't either. But, I have a hard time believing that Jesus told that story, and I agree with the comedian's take on it.
Take this example:

Matthew 24:

14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

We're not talking about actual "talent" here, we're talking about money. In this parable by Jesus, the master gave his slaves money to keep for him.

19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

So, the guy was afraid of his master, and he knew that his master was a thief, reaping where he had not sown, but because he hid the money, he was able to return the exact amount.

26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

Banking! Interest? USURY! That's strictly forbidden under Rabbinic Law. NO WAY DID JESUS ENCOURAGE USURY! It is incomprehensible that Jesus told this parable in this way. Jesus hated the money changers! This story is a lie, placed in the mouth of your lord, by bankers, politicians and popes.

Usury is the payment of interest on a loan by [a] borrower to [a] lender. The two biblical passages which forbid the taking of interest are:

“If you lend money to any of My people, even to the poor with thee, thou shalt not be to him as a creditor; neither shalt thou lay upon him interest” (Exodus 22:24).

“Thou shalt not lend upon interest to thy brother: interest of money, interest of victuals, interest of anything that is lent upon interest. Unto a foreigner thou mayest lend upon interest; but unto thy brother thou shalt not lend upon interest; that the Lord thy God may bless thee in all that thou puttest thy hand into, in the land whither thou goest in to possess it” (Deuteronomy 23:20-21). mobile.myjewishlearning.com...

Jesus didn't tell the parable about the good Samaritan, in a way to single out a bigoted cliche to tell a story of kindness and compassion, that is innate in humanity, no matter from where they hail.
edit on 8-5-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
right here ...........
www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

It's funny considering most of that isn't even in the Bible...

It still sounded good. That's what passes for truth now, right?

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I always wondered if the man the Samaritan helped might have been a rapist or a murderer. I mean, people just left him on the road all bloody and beaten... Seems like the guy couldn't have been such a nice fellow.

What do you think?

(liked the vid btw)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

It's possible that the man was considered a criminal, and that's why everyone else passed him by. But, in my mind, it would be more likely that he was a rich man, maybe a tax collector, and that's he was robbed and beaten and why nobody took pity.

I still wonder why the distinction of the "good" Samaritan though, as if a "good" Samaritan was hard to find.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I personally like the story "the book of Job"

As god is all powerful, he killed Job's kids, gave him scabies and made him poor. Once Job realized god was almighty, he repented and got back everything he lost fivefold.

No footnotes about the original kids god murdered though. They aren't important.

Summary

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
My favorite story in the bible was Daniel in the lions den.

To this day, the story continues to show me meaning when things get really tough. Been in lion's dens (figurative) many times and always, the story runs through my mind.

Daniel is also my favorite bible character.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

You have not understood the Parable of the talents or the coins. Jesus, by the Holy Spirit gives us all knowledge. If you take that knowledge and do what is right, teaching others to do what is good, than you become the sower. Christ is the reaper and he is reaping what you sowed. He sowed his seed in you and you sowed the seed into someone else.

Each of us has our own gifts and has been give a certain amount of knowledge. To the one much was given much is expected. The point is everyone is accountable not just for themselves but to their neighbor as well. If you take your knowledge and don't share it, or continue to do evil, than you are like the man who was given one coin and hid it, and even what you have will be taken from you.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Really?!!! What is wrong with us!!!!???

This is not a debunk Christianity thread! There are more than enough of those to go around!

It's a simple question of literary preference.

Damn it, any chance people get to ridicule another!!!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jauk3

Hello Jauk3.

I am very sorry that your thread turned into a barrage of ridicule.

I am not a Christian, and I adhere to no religion. However, I just talked with a co-worker about this today.

My favorite part of the entire Bible would be the story of the 'Prodigal Son.'

The Gospel of Luke 15:11-32

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

I also like 'The Cleansing of the Temple' where Jesus went ballistic on the money changers

Jesus Would Kick Your Preacher's Ass!

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

I agree with you on the intended meaning of the parable. However, it was corrupted. Why would god/Jesus want us to put our "talents" into the bank, with the money changers and money lenders, to earn interest? How does putting what love and knowledge that god gave you, into the bank to earn interest glorify god?

It's as obvious as the nose on my face that this parable, and others, have been tampered with.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Why would we want to glorify god? I think we should spend less time trying to please god, and more time trying to get along.

We're too focused on the heavens and not focused enough on each other. I think global peace would be the perfect way to make a higher being happy.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I also like 'The Cleansing of the Temple' where Jesus went ballistic on the money changers

Exactly! So why would Jesus talk out of the other side of his mouth and say this?

27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Why would we want to glorify god? I think we should spend less time trying to please god, and more time trying to get along.

We're too focused on the heavens and not focused enough on each other. I think global peace would be the perfect way to make a higher being happy.

I know, huh! As if god needs our help to satisfy his need for glory. Nope, if there is a god watching, he would want us to work together, getting along, doing what makes us free and happy.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

You quoted from "The Parable of the Talents," Matthew 25:14-30.

This is what it says at the beginning of this particular story, Matthew 25:14

Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them.

Did you catch the clue?

"Again, it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted his wealth to them."

See how it says "it"? We are not talking about money or gold at all
*hint,hint*

edit on 5/8/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

Yeah, that's what I said:

4 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

And the moral of the story:

How does giving your "talents" to the evil money changers, to hold for interest (usury) , translate into a good moral to the story? It doesn't, not then, because usury was strictly forbidden, or now, where the bankers are more corrupt than the pope himself?

It's an obvious forgery of the words of Jesus. He would not ever have said that, IMHO

edit on 8-5-2012 by windword because: spelling

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Because of all of the ridicule on Page 1 of this thread, I skipped over all posts and replied. After reading this reply, I scrolled up the page and read your previous replies. My brow chakra went crazy when I read your previous posts just now.

You are absolutely correct. Jesus would NOT have endorsed usury, interest, or profiting from currency exchanges. I missed that one :p

edit on 5/8/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

I just wanted to say...

You're not my brother, as your avatar suggests. You would be buried by now.
edit on CTuesdaypm484819f19America/Chicago08 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join