It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favourite Bible story or quote?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

And even the Beatles knew that All You Need is Love.

Oddly enough, I don't believe they referred to the Bible in that song...guess even the Beatles knew you don't need a Bible to live a good life. Or God. Or Jesus.

Who knew?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sacgamer25

I wouldn't have a problem if everyone realized it was just a storybook with morals. Instead, they treat it as the most accurate historical document ever created...despite the fact that it hasn't been updated in the thousand years it's been around...not to mention that the people in that time believed the Earth was flat. Who knows what other misconceptions made their way into the Bible? And you have the kahonas to say it's accurate?

Please.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

I wouldn't have a problem if everyone realized it was just a storybook with morals. Instead, they treat it as the most accurate historical document ever created...despite the fact that it hasn't been updated in the thousand years it's been around...not to mention that the people in that time believed the Earth was flat. Who knows what other misconceptions made their way into the Bible? And you have the kahonas to say it's accurate?

Please.

That is funny. I love when people assume what others knew at "that" time. Doesn't the archeological evidence suggest that our ancestors from thousands of years ago actually knew things about the universe that we once believed was recent knowledge. How can you be sure what anyone knew when the evidence continues to suggest they were at least as knowledgeable as we are?

Isn't it more likely that people in control who wanted to remain in control suppressed knowledge out of fear they would lose control. We do know the church was corrupt and suppressed knowledge to maintain control. What we do not know is what our ancestors from biblical times did or did not know.

edit on 9-5-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Haha, you're funny. Especially considering the entire faith that the Bible recounts (supposedly) stomped down all of that knowledge, including assertions that the Earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around.

You want to talk to me about ancient knowledge supported by the Bible? Let's talk about widely accepted knowledge of today whose discoverers were persecuted by the Church for disagreeing with its Holiness.

So, yeah...the Church praised science? Bullcrap. The Church stomped on science with a steel-toe boot. Why? Because science didn't bow to the Church's authority. In other words, I respectfully disagree with your obviously flawed premise, for the logically sound reasons stated above.

Please insert 50 cents to start a new game.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by sacgamer25
Do you go to work and earn a paycheck? If so you are a slave. This verse pertains to you. And yes it is a good idea that you listen to your boss and do what they say. It is actually the bible that says to treat the slaves well and pay appropriate wages. Just because we have been granted the freedom to sell ourselves to whatever corporation we choose and we have gained certain rights does not make us any less a slave.

You are too worried about the terminology when you should be looking for the moral lesson. And working hard at your job so that you gain the respect of your bosses is a good lesson.

No, going to work does not make you a slave, you do it of your own free-will. This is called service. And spinning on your head just to get approval or respect is being a fake person.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Haha, you're funny. Especially considering the entire faith that the Bible recounts (supposedly) stomped down all of that knowledge, including assertions that the Earth revolved around the sun, and not the other way around.

You want to talk to me about ancient knowledge supported by the Bible? Let's talk about widely accepted knowledge of today whose discoverers were persecuted by the Church for disagreeing with its Holiness.

So, yeah...the Church praised science? Bullcrap. The Church stomped on science with a steel-toe boot. Why? Because science didn't bow to the Church's authority. In other words, I respectfully disagree with your obviously flawed premise, for the logically sound reasons stated above.

Please insert 50 cents to start a new game.

I am agreeing with you that the church both misinterpreted the bible and stomped on science. You see many people make claims of infallibility with the church. The church claims to be inspired by God. Even the bible says that if even one thing a profit says is not true than that person is a false profit. The church has been and I believe still is being led by false prophets/teachers.

Because someone's interpretation of scripture is proven false does not mean the scripture itself is false. It simply means that the person lied when they said they were being led by God. Since we can prove that the claims they made were false than we should also conclude that their interpretation of the rest of scripture was not inspired by God.

You don't have to believe that the bible is the truth as I do. But at least realize that the modern interpretation that has been handed down by the church cannot be the inspired word of God because many of their claims have been proven false.

If someone was truly inspired by God than surely everything they say would be the truth.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme

Do you go to work and earn a paycheck? If so you are a slave. This verse pertains to you. And yes it is a good idea that you listen to your boss and do what they say. It is actually the bible that says to treat the slaves well and pay appropriate wages. Just because we have been granted the freedom to sell ourselves to whatever corporation we choose and we have gained certain rights does not make us any less a slave.

You are too worried about the terminology when you should be looking for the moral lesson. And working hard at your job so that you gain the respect of your bosses is a good lesson.

No, going to work does not make you a slave, you do it of your own free-will. This is called service. And spinning on your head just to get approval or respect is being a fake person.

Ok, then quit your job and stop working. Unless you are willing to do this you are a slave. You are a slave to material possessions, which makes you a slave to your job. Weather you admit it or not, I will leave that up to you.

Spinning on your head to get approval and respect does not make you fake it makes you more money, which is after all the only reason to work. Unless you are one of those lucky people who actually have a job they love doing and the money is purely secondary.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Because someone's interpretation of scripture is proven false does not mean the scripture itself is false. It simply means that the person lied when they said they were being led by God.

And what we have there is an example of people being shown how to fake or believe that they are being spoken to by God, when they really aren't. It's a contagious delusion.

And the end result of that is that in this age, when we have so many people believing God has a personal hand in their lives, what happens when it turns out that half of the most influential religious leaders in history were liars? This is what we, the truth seekers, recognize...and so we're taking steps to avoid being fooled by those who claim to have a personal hotline with a higher intelligence.

If someone was truly inspired by God than surely everything they say would be the truth.

I want you to define the word "god" in this sentence. Who exactly is inspiring that person? Or what, exactly? Can you give me a flawless definition of god? And no, I will not accept any human-esque description...because if one thing is obvious, it's that god is not even close to being a man.

Here is something I wrote a while back.

The singularity

No matter what route you take I would like you to consider a few things. First all things had a beginning; science now calls this a singularity. Science has proven that the universe in its current state appears to both be expanding and dying. All the matter that is, is all the matter that can be. Science tries desperately to explain away God with complex theories that simply don’t match observable science.

So understanding that everything had to have started from a singularity and understanding that most everyone accepts that singularity as Devine, then everything came from that singularity.

Now if there were multiple God’s we would still be part of only one singularity. For each God per say would be the foundation of their own singularity. So even if more than one God existed that would be irrelevant because we are all part of the same singularity. Which means we are all part of one creation. Multiple God’s would be multiple creations. But since we are all part of one creation the existence of other creations is meaningless to us.

Seeing that there is only one singularity that I refer to as God, it is logical to assume that there is only one creation. We know for certain we are all part of one creation, and thus know that we are all part of one exact plan. Science and math are our friends on this one. Everything that we see or touch follows an exact plan, if the plan was off by just the tinniest of margins creation would cease to exist. Again pointing to the singularity.

So if we can agree on a singularity and that singularity being divine why can we not agree that just as creation must follow only one plan that there is indeed only one plan. All other plans then cannot be the plan of the singularity but the plan of the created. However the plan of the created simply cannot be the same plan as the creator. So this points back to the singularity, one creator, one plan.

Now if we understand the singularity as God, then we realize that God is both a scientist and mathematician for all that we see is understood by these two observations. Since God has created something based on a perfect plan his creation must indeed follow one perfect plan. To deny that the perfect creator created anything less than a perfect plan is to deny the singularity and what is observable through math and science. A logical creator as this would not leave the creation with an illogical answer. So the logical answer is again one creator one plan.

You see anyone can believe in God, as a matter of fact there is from a worldview almost no debate. Therefore the true debate should be what God’s true plan is. If you continue to seek the truth over the multitude of religions it as if you are trying to build your own God, you could save yourself the effort and just believe what you want. If you look long enough you will make God what you want anyway.

Again anyone can believe in God but it takes faith to believe in one God with one Plan.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

That wasn't faith you described. That was logical understanding. I applaud you for the use of such techniques to come to such a clear answer. And yes, I agree with what you said.
Unfortunately, inaccurate and vague definitions and cryptic answers that are understood differently by different people have resulted in a very tangled web of half-truths and lies...but that doesn't change the fact that this reality was designed with more mechanisms than a clock the size of Jupiter.

The only hitch in the Master Design is our cooperation...and you can see how well that's working out.
edit on CWednesdaypm292904f04America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Ok, then quit your job and stop working. Unless you are willing to do this you are a slave. You are a slave to material possessions, which makes you a slave to your job. Weather you admit it or not, I will leave that up to you.

There is a difference between service (work of free-will) and slavery (forced work). When I work, I CHOOSE to do so, no one forces me to work again my will. It is an AGREEMENT between an employer and employee.

Spinning on your head to get approval and respect does not make you fake it makes you more money, which is after all the only reason to work. Unless you are one of those lucky people who actually have a job they love doing and the money is purely secondary.

You will have more money but it still makes you FAKE. You can sincerely do your work and be a suck up just to get approval.

It is probably Christianity which caused you to have this slave mentality. And this is why the slave verses are my favorite because it really woke me up.

edit on 9-5-2012 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Proverbs 3:5-6

This is one of the most amusing, yet disgusting, quotes in the Bible. It directs people to seek all answers within the Bible, and not to think for themselves. And before you say it, yes...people have used this line in order to defend their lack of critical thinking.

This line is what I call the Sheeple Principle. Memorize its message and beware of its poison...it has been known to destroy the minds of billions worldwide.
edit on CWednesdaypm202017f17America/Chicago09 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

This is one of the most amusing, yet disgusting, quotes in the Bible. It directs people to seek all answers within the Bible

We don't get our answers from the bible we get them from Christ. We don't even need that book.

BTW what are you again? Wiccan? I'd rather get answers from a book by one of the wisest people to ever walk the earth than get my answers from black candles and ouija boards

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

ENOUGH!!!!

From this point forward, posts will be on topic.
Failure to follow that simple rule will result in further post removals and possible Posting Bans.

Please respect the beliefs of others!!!!

edit on Wed May 9 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: clarity

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Thanks DontTreadOnMe.

From my understanding, the OP meant this thread to simply focus on the Bible as a literary work and talk about what people like in it.

If this was a, "You're all going to hell unless you believe like me" thread, then I would understand the types of replies coming in.

However, this thread is not deserving of such treatment. I guess some people get-off on throwing dirt at others for any superficial reason they can find.

Peace.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
What I meant with this thread is to share some knowledge and good things that are said in the Bible and the ones that you like or the ones we can learn from. Not a discussion if God exists or the Bible is true, because that will lead to nothing.

I don't agree with some stuff written in the Bible, but that does not mean I don't agree with everything written in it. After all, the Bible is made out of different books, each with its own interpretations.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join