It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says contrails contribute to global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
From this paper published in 2003 -

Using results from a general circulation model simulation of contrails, the cirrus trends
over the United States are estimated to cause a tropospheric warming of 0.28–0.38C decade21, a range that
includes the observed tropospheric temperature trend of 0.278C decade21 between 1975 and 1994.
(from the abstract)

I guess this must be just cover for them actually being geo-engineering to try to cool the planet though huh?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Well you have to think what would be the natural reaction of someone reading that, anyone reading it. They can read that NASA thinks the contrails contribute to global warming and then think that someone in "government" should make it stop. If enough people got behind it, they'd stop the Geo-engineering. I don't think it's a cover up. It seems more a whistle blow.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
They'll just say that NASA is lying

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

I'm pissed.

I live in Canada, Quebec. The weather here, recently has been seriously crappy, we had great hot weather this winter, almost no snow, we had lots of rain, but it was COLD but had record hot temperature during last winter! another year in row!, right now it should be the beginning of summer for us, but the weather is still very mild with lots of rains again. Usually when summer launch, we have really dry days with very hot temperature but this year it just rain, rain and rain. But this week we have good weather coming, so its really nice. But I wonder what is next after this hot weather, just hope summer is finally start because this summer is gonna sawk.
edit on 7-5-2012 by skywalk because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Right. If they say anything at all. Their chief strategy seems to be not to address anything whatsoever and if you absolutely have to say something, just laugh. They have a hundred responses to use and it makes me sick.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Indeed this is a fact that contrails are affecting the weather.

The contrail effect www.pbs.org...
edit on 7-5-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
WOW!!!

I posted this just yesterday
"What bothers me about the trails is this. If they are BAD then surely those responsible would also suffer?

I dont disbelieve something is going on, just unsure of the purpose.

Could they be trying to alter temperature? to back up the false climate change BS?"

in this thread here

Looks like I was right

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Hmm... You would think that an airplane (thousands of them per hour and driving cars and huge factories) for all these years might just damage the "Ecosystem". An ecosystem is dependent on a micro level of other parts that keep the cycle going. Without the essential in the math equation of an Ecosystem the math will change as new elements are added. So pee a little in your fish tank everyday. I know it doesn't do anything right away. But, wait one day you'll wake up and find all your fish have died. People need to continue building and promoting environmentally safe machines-including airplanes.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

My god that is insane! But we aren't tampering with Mother Nature. At least I know that when Mother Nature crosses us into the threshold and destroys us all I will understand that she didn't take my life because of what I have done to here. Instead because I am part of the group that is threatening her and her other children.

I am going to save this pic. Thanks!

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Oh, man. Super-kudos and a star for that pic. I live right in there and see it everyday. I know everyone is saying this is sinister, but being the contrarion, I wonder if it is either they are trying to make it warmer in order to influence decision making or that they really believe that it's getting warmer and they think this is the solution.

I know that the Georgia cities of Atlanta, Athens, Savannah, Tybee Island, and Decatur are all members of ICLEI or the International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives. Being progressively run cities, they are probably unscrupulous or don't care where their money comes from and when they have to make environmental decisions, all they have to do is see how warm it's getting and vote for more regulation. How nice. The contrails in this area are very telling.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I'm no advocate of the whole 'chemtrail' phenom at all. But increased air traffic is definitely altering the weather. I live under a busy trans-atlantic air corridor and many a fine clear day is spoiled by expanding contrails. This became really evident when that Icelandic volcano grounded flights a couple of years ago. We had lovely blue skies for a week or two. Personally I don't see a conspiracy, I've watched an endless stream of commercial jets go over on any given day and depending on conditions the contrails either dissipate rapidly or linger and form a thin overcast. We(my friend and I) one day watched them with a telescope for a few hours and confirmed every one of them as commercial passenger flights, which leads me to surmise that if, and that's a big if, they were actually spraying something it must be in huge tanks on the aircraft and there is zero evidence that, for example, British Airways jets are sporting large heavy tanks of (insert whatever nefarious substance) and nobody such as ground crew or even passengers are noticing it.

And no, there cannot be stuff mixed into the fuel because A: jet fuel is very pure and goes through a series of 2 micron filters whilst being loaded and during flight, B: the fuel burns at such high temperatures, C: the amount of material needed to spray a large area probably exceeds(in ratio) the amount of fuel in the tanks anyways.

edit on 7-5-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

I live under an area heavily covered in contrails daily and it's not an air traffic corridor. They aren't commercial jets either. They look as if they could be military, given what we can actually see from that far away. It's constant. They make great big X's or play tic tac toe. If they were just planes flying to their respective destinations, you wouldn't have that picture above with all the x's across the state. They would be heavily concentrated around Atlanta right? Makes sense doesn't it?

Also the following link shows how you don't really have to mix the chemicals in with the fuel: Chemical in the fuel?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
From this paper published in 2003 -

Using results from a general circulation model simulation of contrails, the cirrus trends
over the United States are estimated to cause a tropospheric warming of 0.28–0.38C decade21, a range that
includes the observed tropospheric temperature trend of 0.278C decade21 between 1975 and 1994.
(from the abstract)

I guess this must be just cover for them actually being geo-engineering to try to cool the planet though huh?

The jury is still out on that one:

Initially, scientists thought that contrails, like the naturally occurring cirrus clouds they resemble and sometimes seed, had an overall warming effect. Although contrails clearly reflected incoming sunlight, they also trapped heat from below that would otherwise escape into space. Scientists therefore thought contrails had a net warming effect.

Then Sept. 11, 2001 presented a unique opportunity to study what the sky looked like without airplanes and contrails. In the wake of the 9-11 terrorist attacks, the FAA prohibited commercial aviation over the United States for three days. That's when David Travis, an atmospheric scientist at the University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, thought to look at how temperatures might differ at temperature stations around the country.

He found that [PDF], for those three days, the average range between highs and lows at more than 4,000 weather stations across the US was 1 degree C wider than normal. In other words, contrails seemed to raise nighttime temperatures and lower daytimes ones.

But the real effect was in daytime highs, which were much higher. That would seem to indicate that, contrary to prevailing thinking, contrails might have a net cooling effect.

magazine article
source document

So before you go squawking around you might want to consider there is no consensus which way it affects global warming or cooling.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

My god that is insane! But we aren't tampering with Mother Nature. At least I know that when Mother Nature crosses us into the threshold and destroys us all I will understand that she didn't take my life because of what I have done to here. Instead because I am part of the group that is threatening her and her other children.

I am going to save this pic. Thanks!

Here's the background behind that pic:
contrailscience.com...

It's part of much larger image:

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheMatrixusesYou
I live under an area heavily covered in contrails daily and it's not an air traffic corridor.

Pretty much everywhere in the US and Europe is sufficiently under an air traffic corridor to get contrails.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
From this paper published in 2003

There's plenty of more recent papers as well:
scholar.google.com...

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Contrails (play /ˈkɒntreɪlz/; short for "condensation trails") or vapour trails are long thin artificial clouds that sometimes form behind aircraft. Their formation is most often triggered by the water vapour in the exhaust of aircraft engines...

Who ever in their right mind would ever equate exhaust pollution to contributing to global warming.

Next thing they'll be telling me that smoggy mornings are caused by toxic fumes that some how leak out of trucks and cars and people with log fires. The lunacy of these people. Astounding.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It has long been my view that Chemtrailers are barking up the wrong tree.

There seems to be this assumption that if these trails are in the sky and if they are having a detrimental effect of any kind then someone is deliberately setting out to put those trails there for a purpose.

I can see how this view might take hold if one is unaware of how busy the skies are or the valid and mundane reasons why trails curve, cross over or form grids, or even why they linger for hours on certain days. However these explanations have been posted on here ad nauseum without any of it seeming to sink in.

If believers could come to grips with the fact that these trails are an incidental by product of aviation then the search to find out what actual harm they may be doing, their long term effects and how they might be viably mitigated has a chance of being taken seriously and maybe getting somewhere. Instead we get lunatic fantasy theories being dismissed for what they are and nobody getting anywhere at all.

The claims by chemmies about debunkers being govt shills always infuriated me, but putting the boot on the other foot, if there really WAS a conspiracy around contrails, would it not be in the conspirators interest to have people promoting a stupid spraying theory that was full of bunk that most right minded people would laugh at and not bother looking into? Something to think about.

posted on May, 8 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

It's a hard road to try and say that cloud cover of ANY kind doesn't contribute to global dimming. Easier to try and say it doesn't contribute to global warming BUT, in light of all the studies on natural cirrus which do have a net warming, that's a hard road too. I hope that what you're trying to say here is that NASA has not been involved in the political jockeying for position on this issue and has remained true to their school i.e. science.

Kind of a strange statement in light of the fact that I don't believe NASA feels the planet is warming or do they?

March global temperatures were coolest since 1999

Global Climate Change

Although they do say that global temperature has risen 1.5 degrees F since 1880.

Do you think NASA is a victim of the PTB controlled media on this issue? And what would their role in contrail production be other than rockets? In other words, would they have a political/funding motive for not retracting the 2003 study? Or would they be...gasp!...disinterested on this issue and therefore objective?

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Totally normal. perfectly perfect. glad it is normal. wow great to be normal

top topics

<<   2 >>

join