It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. abandons consulate site in Afghanistan, citing security risks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
It would seem, the State Department is having a bit of an issue here recently. Let's take a look here and explore their difficulties for a moment.

Here is a quick map for reference out of the story:

After signing a 10-year lease and spending more than $80 million on a site envisioned as the United States’ diplomatic hub in northern Afghanistan, American officials say they have abandoned their plans, deeming the location for the proposed compound too dangerous.

Oh?? I didn't realize we were building a Consulate in the North to the tune of 10's of millions of dollars. Hmmmm

The decision to give up on the site is the clearest sign to date that, as the U.S.-led military coalition starts to draw down troops amid mounting security concerns, American diplomats are being forced to reassess how to safely keep a viable presence in Afghanistan. The plan for the Mazar-e Sharif consulate, as laid out in a previously undisclosed diplomatic memorandum, is a cautionary tale of wishful thinking, poor planning and the type of stark choices the U.S. government will have to make in coming years as it tries to wind down its role in the war.

Well, there is a mixed bag for good and bad. They at least seem to understand, this isn't a friendly nation. That is a start.

Uh oh.... The good is leaving fast!

A consulate just a short walk from Mazar-e Sharif’s Blue Mosque, one of the country’s most sacred religious sites, was seen as a way to reassure members of the ethnic Tajik and Uzbek minorities that dominate the north that the United States was committed to Afghanistan for the long haul.
Source

Was seen as a way to reassure? That horse left the barn a long time ago. Let's see....We've invaded, stomped, BEEN stomped BY and abandoned Iraqis to their various fates with the Jihadis who never left..and just waited. We've turned our back on Israel in very real ways, while assuring them, they really are #1 in our thoughts. Why do I get the feeling Obama's index finger isn't the "1" he uses when Israel comes to mind? Finally, we've been giving mixed messages to everyone in the world for at least 3 years and closer to 6. In that climate, this was meant to reassure??

Let me take a moment and share my view. We've been fighting a war only we seem to have ever wanted in the first place. We've had combat troops deployed and in daily enemy contact for almost 12 full, continuous years now in 2 nations. They've been in combat operations on and off for that entire time in 6 ADDITIONAL nations. (Pakistan, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, Eritrea and the Philippine Islands) Thats 8..EIGHT foreign nations our flag has been on the shoulder of men with guns, out killing local populations or certain segments of them....for over a decade.

Was it justified? Is it right? Some say yes and some say no. It isn't the point though and 100% justified and proper wars need to end eventually. This one never seems to end. It just changes focus and moves against NEW nations when the old ones just aren't working too well anymore.

Afghanistan is the focus when they are reporting they failed to find a way forward on 80 Million worth of work toward a center I'm fairly certain no American can call useful or productive for the money spent and I'll be the locals feel pretty close to the same on the matter.

We need our men home. We need this war over. Not 10 years from NOW....Good God man, Vietnam lasted a TOTAL of 10 years...and this Government is telling us we must be patient now and it'll take time??? 20 YEARS TIME??? Are they kidding, delusional or just holding contempt for our level of intelligence out here?

I really don't care much about hearing from State or the White House about anything relating to Afghanistan until it's to announce U.S. forces leaving that place and heading some....starting within the WEEK. Not Decade.

That land isn't for us. It never has been. That nation has destroyed and killed the soldiers of every single outside power to ever attempt claiming it. Bar None. EVERY SINGLE ONE. Every Empire before us tried. Every Empire before us failed. Why does Washington think the United States is so special and so far above everyone else, that we can succeed where all others have met defeat and destruction?

I submit, we are not different and the end result won't be either. Lets not take 10 more years learning that for the same end game. This Consulate ...the fact it was even PLANNED....it the best example of how nothing changed from one Administration to another. Nothing at all. If Romney turns out to be as bad, I say he needs removed by Impeachment LONG before he hit 4 years.

The world can't deal with another term of any US President considering the entire Planet to be an extension of American values and Foreign Policy. The wars didn't start that way in my view, but it's what we see as we stand here in May of 2012, gazing at what we've helped create and more to the point, destroy. No new construction. Build planes...to bring troops home.

Anyone else sick and tired of the war and the apparent need the leadership has to continue it indefinitely??? I thought this was about killing Bin Laden. I didn't realize that was all fluff to make a Perm. and overwhelming presence in Central Asia for generations. (Yeah..Somewhere..I knew their thoughts likely ran this way. We shouldn't have to by psychic and the lies to our faces just can't go on)

edit on 6-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
so your not happy they are backing out diplomatically?

its impossible to explicate a person from a crime they were a part; even attempting to be clean about the matter is an additional charge.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
So with our economy tanking, our Govt as corrupt as ever, and corporations poisoning our land and our people, please tell me why we should even give a s**t about Israel or Afghanistan or any foreign countries for that matter?

I really don't see what the point of trying to "fix" all the other countries is when we already have so many problems here at home to fix...
edit on 5/7/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have an idea.

Stay out of Afghanistan.

why are we still there? Bin Laden is dead. Thats why we were there.
The head of the snake is cut(just ask Obama).

Guaranteed the troops dont want to be at that hell hole any longer.

-edit- we should pull ALL personel out. IMO.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
so your not happy they are backing out diplomatically?

its impossible to explicate a person from a crime they were a part; even attempting to be clean about the matter is an additional charge.

I'm not quite getting what your saying here. My attitudes and feelings about this war are pretty well known by now, but as a reminder to that, it isn't diplomacy I find wrong.

It's the presence of a single United States Citizen for any reason, what so ever within Afghanistan at this point that I find a problem. We came, we saw and we gave more than we got. If we leave now...we might call it a draw. If we give it another 10 years...we'll be leaving much sooner, but by helicopter evacuations off rooftops. I was a wee young at the time to recall the images of Saigon being evacuated hours ahead of it's fall to communist forces......I hadn't thought I'd see a second showing.

It appears once wasn't enough....and this is starting to feel like the worst encore imaginable.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Really do not know what the hell they were thinking here they spent 80 million i believe right smack in the middle and a "high risk" area where they could be attack from any elevated position.

Sheer stupidity and We all heard that famous speech about how Al queda is all but defeated recent reports say they have never been stronger.

Yeah get out of Afghanistan i do agree Bin Laden is dead so there is no reason to be there.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Realistically, I think they were looking at the very friendly and eager forces of the Northern Alliance our Green Berets landed to find in 2001. Heck, they'd almost won the war and pushed the creeps straight into the mountains and hard against the Pakistani border, too. I understand the Northern Alliance is what became of the Mujahadeen the United States had funded, trained and supported during the 80's. They didn't become the Taliban, they've been fighting them all this time.

What I think they really screwed up with is what they frequently seem to screw up with in Washington. They made plans based on information making us look good a decade ago and couldn't fathom things might have radically changed since then.

I can't speak with any personal experience for the attitudes of the average Non-Taliban Afghani, but I'm guessing by what I know of the war and the last several years especially, they have no love for us any longer. Whoever DID respect and fight for our people in 2001 may be among those fighting against us now.

Homeward bound, is all we need to be.
edit on 7-5-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

True tho a decade it is time to get the hell out.

Second.
edit on 7-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join