It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

101°F in my Florida town… awful

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Today the forecast high temperature was supposed to be 91-93°F (33°C) but I walked outside and suddenly it felt like I wandered into an oven. It is Florida, we are used to 90°F+ weather from May – September, but this is rather incredible. Never before in my entire time living in the Jacksonville metro area (my entire life) have I witnessed the temperature jump above 100°F in May, let alone the first week of May.

The weather channel said temperatures are sweltering in Texas, 100°F+ in the Lubbock area today. They forgot to mention the record temperatures here in Florida! So far it has climbed to 101.0°F, with the surrounding areas all above 95°F so this is not an incorrect reporting station.

www.wunderground.com...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Must be murder. Though I would swap places with you just for a couple of hours, and you'd probably enjoy it too. It's flipping cold here, East coast of Scotland. We had one warmish day this year so far. It's unbelievable, and it's going to cost me a fortune in heating bills.

Today it was bright sunshine but brass monkeys. I'm shivering non-stop. I don't deal with cold too well.

I want summer!!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I remember it a few times when i was living on Pearl ave in jacksonville and back home in Fernandina! Its not often but yes it happenes.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Weather.com reports it's 86F in Jacksonville.

Updated: May 6, 2012, 4:45pm EDT [~15 minutes after OP (Misoir) started thread]
86°F
Thunder
Feels like 88°F

www.weather.com...

In case I'm accused of "falsifying data" ... a.k.a. lying:

edit on 5/6/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
>snip<

The weather channel said temperatures are sweltering in Texas, 100°F+ in the Lubbock area today. They forgot to mention the record temperatures here in Florida! So far it has climbed to 101.0°F, with the surrounding areas all above 95°F so this is not an incorrect reporting station.

>snip<

I guess you now know why The Weather Channel didn't mention record temperatures in Jacksonville, Florida: there weren't any. Unless you think TWC has incorrect reporting stations?

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
Weather.com reports it's 86F in Jacksonville.

Updated: May 6, 2012, 4:45pm EDT [~15 minutes after OP (Misoir) started thread]
86°F
Thunder
Feels like 88°F

www.weather.com...

In case I'm accused of "falsifying data" ... a.k.a. lying:

\
probably 101 on the *heat index
that is most likely what the op means

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Dunno what that has to do with the OP melting in his home town. The weather channels in the UK are seldom correct too.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
probably 101 on the *heat index
that is most likely what the op means

May be what was meant, but wasn't what was said.
And even on TWC's page, it said "86F"... "feels like 88F", so the heat index is only +2 F, not +15F.

I guess it's possible the temp dropped 15F in 15 minutes but Misoir hasn't been back to discuss it either.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I do not mean the heat index temperature, for the humidity level is incredibly low, but the actual air temperature. Jacksonville may be cooler, but all the weather reporting stations in a 10-mile radius of my house were reporting air temperatures of 95-101°F. Click on the link I provided, browse the other weather stations if you so desire.

The air temperature dropped dramatically shortly after posting the OP, as the winds picked up. It dropped 10°F is about 10 minutes as the humidity, in the same time frame, jumped from the 20s to the 60s.

All nearby weather stations:

Greenleaf Village - 101.0
Florentine - 97.1
Bartram Springs - 99.1
Brierwood - 96.8
St. Johns Golf and Country Club - 98.5

It was even hotter across the St. Johns River, which is quite a distance from my house...
Orange Park - 102.6
(These are all neighborhoods, not town/cities)

All maximum temperatures were recorded just after 4pm EST.

edit on 5/6/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by wigit
Dunno what that has to do with the OP melting in his home town. The weather channels in the UK are seldom correct too.

Jacksonville has a historic "high" temp of 102F in May.
www.srh.noaa.gov...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I was feeling your pain today down in Kissimmee/St.Cloud area of Florida. Not sure yet what the high was down here today but here's a good sign it was as hot or hotter, as of 5:38pm it was 96 degrees, and that's at a time of day things are supposed to be cooling down. We live on a lake and the water level is down at least 3-4 feet than normal. We're in need of rain terribly.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I was cutting down trees in the same temps further south.
Just a little warmer than usual and I had a few more beers than usual.
Florida is supposed to be hot.
This is why God invented air conditioners.

P.S. Our air is on now but only because my wife made me.

edit on 6-5-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   

I do not mean the heat index temperature, for the humidity level is incredibly low, but the actual air temperature. Jacksonville may be cooler, but all the weather reporting stations in a 10-mile radius of my house were reporting air temperatures of 95-101°F. Click on the link I provided, browse the other weather stations if you so desire.

The air temperature dropped dramatically shortly after posting the OP, as the winds picked up. It dropped 10°F is about 10 minutes as the humidity, in the same time frame, jumped from the 20s to the 60s.

edit on 5/6/2012 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

Okay, I'll give you the benefit of a doubt.

But you did say it was 101F in /your/ town, your location on ATS is set to Jacksonville, FL, and you claimed it was a record high, which NOAA disagrees with, with regards to Jacksonville.

But even today, NOAA says Jacksonville only hit 96:
Jacksonville Climate
Sun thru 6PM
Lo 65 (+5)
Hi 96* (+12)
Rain 0.80"

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

AH, who cares about Florida temperatures?

When it comes to HOT, Texas summers make Florida summers look comfortable. Its well over a hundred degrees practically EVERYDAY in Texas during the summer months. Florida's got it "made-in-the-shade" in summer compared to Texas.

Texas summer is HELL. Its so HOT down there that "SATAN" himself lives there.
Lives right next to his good buddy Rick Perry.

edit on 6-5-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

I technically live in Ponte Vedra, Florida, just outside of Jacksonville. But you can never go by that for the weather, it is always off because they take measurements and forecast at the beach whereas I live 10 miles inland and up 70 feet. It makes a considerable difference. The forecast, for my specific zip code, called for a high of around 88°F with a low of 70°F, but the temperature reached over 100°F and night time will likely be down near 64°F. The weather around here is just bizarre.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by abecedarian

Please remember that when dealing with Jacksonville, the weather varies greatly. The city itself is over 800 square miles large, spanning from the beaches, where the temperatures are generally lower due to onshore breeze to west of the St. Johns River where the elevation is over 70 feet and temperatures can change quite dramatically. Now, NOAA and the Weather Channel have only one place in Jacksonville where they record the weather, this is one spot in a city of over 800 square miles. That does not equal a fair representation for all the neighborhoods and surrounding areas.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Good stuff there, but prepare yourself for an onslaught of nay sayers even when they live on the other side of the world.
I posted a thread here on this very same forum for a different weather phenomenon but not far off yours as far as the weather goes.

When somebody says they have never felt or witnessed this occurrence for the first time in all their life it is time to sit up and take notice.

I believe you 100% and S&F.

Those temps sound awfully uncomfortable for sure.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 6-5-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I similarly live in an area where the official weather forecasts are based on telemetry more than 10 miles away, and that is because that's where the nearest airport is... and not much of an airport it is- all civilian and in a flood plain... like every airport with 20 miles or so of me.

Suffice it to say I reside in the Temecula / Elsinore Valley area of California (near 1/2 between LA and San Diego, and east of a moderately high mountain range), and were I to make a claim about extraordinary weather, I would hope someone else out there is bold enough to call me out on it since weather CAN vary rather wildly across a few miles.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Yes...Scorching hot here in Memphis also

1st weekend in may and heat indexes surpassing 100??

ATS, look forward to a cruel, cruel summer

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The heat index was 105 yesterday here in Fort Worth, TX

top topics

<<   2 >>

join