It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish farm kids remarkably immune to allergies

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by namehere

Could you cite sources for this supposedly higher mortality rate, amongst the Amish compared to the rest of society?

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

You have no data concerning how many shots they do get so you can't assert they receive fewer shots. You are just making assumption. There is nothing scientific about that.

Furthermore, the sample is one group in Northern Indiana compared to Swiss farm kids. It's useless to the general public. Perhaps a survey of several different Amish communities as compared to the average American child would make a bit more sense.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

You are partially right. But not entirely. I was raised getting regular immunization vaccines. However, the difference was, I didn't get antibiotics every time I had a sniffle. That's what the key is in my opinion. It's not the overuse of vaccines, it's the overprescription of antibiotics.

My immune system is very healthy, I rarely get sick, and when I do, the duration is far less than other people.

The human body is an amazing machine, it's self defense mechanisms if left to their own devices or only rarely augmented when necessary can develop immunity on its own just fine.

However, vaccines have their place, and it's part of the reason that we have 7 billion people on this planet. Medicine like everything, in moderation.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

We have never vaccinated our daughter, and she does not have any allergies at all. She has only been sick 3 times in her 8 1/2 years of life. Has only needed antibiotics twice.

I feel fortunate that she is healthy, but I strongly believe that vaccines would have made her a sickly child like I was. I had all of my vaxes and was in and out of the hospital all throughout elementary school due to respiratory problems and infections.

I'm don't want to be repetitive, but I'm pretty sure the Amish children are healthier, since they have better access to food that has not been doused in pesticides.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Many of the reasons I would consider have been brought up...

I'd also give a vote for LESS STRESS. Stress has conflicting/negative effects on immune systems, I have a feeling the Amish don't feel anywhere near the levels of stress that many of us do.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by litterbaux
You have to let your body get use to the world we live in. Think of this for an example. If you kept a kid in a windowless room for 12 years then sent him outside, he would get sunburned. If the child grew up playing outside the body would have a built up immunity to the sun. Same exact reason for the allergies.

Exactly what I was thinking. Parents are WAY too paranoid and cautious these days.

"Oh my god, Robbie just pet a cat outside! Honey get the Purell, NOW!!!"

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Theyre exposed to the elements all day so of course theyre immune. After a while they get used to it. Its like if a lactose intolerant person drank a bit of milk and after a while could drink an entire glass.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

probobly because all the kids that get sick are buried behind the barn.

You have to really think about what these communitys allow us to know.. and what they are willing to lie about.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 04:18 AM
link   
They probably eat local honey, eat more natural foods, have less pollution, and don't stuff themselves full of medications every single time they get a sniffle. I'm not entirely sure if it is fully the vaccination thing, my oldest was fully vaccinated and has an excellent immune system with no allergies. Though he has gotten sick more often than my girls who are not vaccinated. My middle child was breastfed an had only a few vaccines and she was had the hardest time with allergies. My grandmother never had allergies until she was older, but I've suffered from allergies my whole life. When I was in elementary school the doctor wanted to put me on shots, my mom just sorta blew him off, and yeah sometimes my allergies get pretty bad..but I did notice that when I stopped taking the allergy medicine altogether(Except for almost near death situations), I have them much less. I also stopped taking antibiotics for every single thing and I've noticed how much more my body tends to fight off things much faster and on it's own. We are fearfully and wonderfully made!

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

I heard a radio program that suggested that certain parasites such as hookworms can actually keep one from developing allergies....Some people have gone so far as to intentionally infect themselves, and have had much success. The program also suggested that people from less developed countries suffered from allergies less, because they were more likely to get infected. I'd assume that Amish people would live life in a similar manner to those in a third world country, so it's plausible that Amish people get infected with these parasites as well.

Here's a link about Hookworms and allergies. www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I'll go with vaccines as the answer to this one. According to Garth Nicolson, a microbiologist, many vaccines are contaminated. So not only are we exposing ourselves and our kids to an ever increasing number of mandatory vaccines, we have added pathogens to the mix. Autoimmune disease is exploding in this country. Old stats say 23.5 million cases with another 50 million that have symptoms and have yet to be diagnosed.

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
Hello.
Yes it is about food
Yes it is about enviroment
Yes it s about what u do as a child
Yes it s about where u bee as a child
Yes above two comments are about your parents where they controll you.

Well im from croatia, born in bosnia and herzegovina, exactly in herzegovina, in place called Grabovica, its near lake busko jezero and city Tomislavgrad.
Herzegovina s not yet negotiating for eu or nato officially etc. Pretty much is all nature there.
Im sayin that because. ..(i went to bathroom and now forgot what to say.)

... I remember it
Yes, i as a child was going anywhere and do anything, as crawling on main road and runnning from my mother hihi
chillin at lake busko jezero swimming in it nearly drawned, making cookies and cakes from dirt and mud, and eat them etc etc.
Point is todayparents keep children in safe keep them from dangerous things, keep them clean and inside protected from boohooo diseases etc.
Im thinking about it and what is interrresting is thst above. How parents protecting kids,too much.
How that few year old kids are eating mainstream food, how that kids are living closed inside apartments or closed neigborhoods.
Anyway. Im and my family was raised in that enviroment, at least me until age of 6. When we move in croatia.
There in herzegovina is still rough paradise.
What im tryin to say is let your children flyin around. Feed youryhildren with anything natural.
Let your children eat dirt. Etc. On that way as me and my ancestors and your ancestors is making immunity.
Immunity is best developing whenuare a child.
Consider this:
My granny no.1 is still alive she have 80 years and still walking around speaks well do sheyt as always she dos not have any disease. She say just waitin to die.
My granny no.2 have 90 years and also she refuse to die lol. She have all her natural teeth tooth. Guess word is right. She still wondering around sitting and do stuff.
My grandfathers are survived damn everything. From war, food shortages, diseas etc.
There is stil bunch ofold people and still walking around.
No one of them taking any pills etc.
I never be sick, broken etc, andal.we are tall and healthy. As my cousins ex neighbors in herzegovina all is well, never hear of cancer or other #. Mostly all die from old age.
Point of all what i write. let you children do what they want, eat natural and moderate live mucher outside instead inside do phisical work dot allow stress to punch you. Be positive. Thats i learn from that old people and coclude my self. Its simple as that.
Be good. Peace.
p.s. My english is bad and kung fu too.
Hope u understand some of above.
If u want to move to another country all i can say in herzegovina near my village price of one square m2 is around 3 to 5 dollars.
I hope i soon will back there in my village soon. Will buy alot more of land a lot. Hope will be someday healthy old farts neigbhoors.
I stop now talkin
Be well and hapy.
Bye

posted on May, 6 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Chemicals used in the growth and production of food will have its part to play but really one of the biggest culprits for the creation of allergies/weak immune system is the obsession with having super 'clean' homes. Rather than having our toddlers crawl over a few dog or cat hairs we prefer that they crawl over bleach and disinfectant??? Poisons no?

Children NEED exposure to germs and they're not getting it. I'll put money down that our sterile homes and abhorrence of good clean dirt is core to this apparent allergy epidemic.
edit on 6-5-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
Chemicals used in the growth and production of food will have its part to play but really one of the biggest culprits for the creation of allergies/weak immune system is the obsession with having super 'clean' homes. Rather than having our toddlers crawl over a few dog or cat hairs we prefer that they crawl over bleach and disinfectant??? Poisons no?

Children NEED exposure to germs and they're not getting it. I'll put money down that our sterile homes and abhorrence of good clean dirt is core to this apparent allergy epidemic.
edit on 6-5-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

Bravo.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
so true, too much clean is not good, wipes out everything, the good with the bad. Howie mandell is a big germaphobe, he uses so much antibacterial hand lotion that he is getting warts on his hands, his docs told him to,stop using that stuff all the time, that he was killing off the good stuff.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The Amish have got ‘living off the grid’ down to a science. That’s why they are healthier.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

Not to mention that houses these days are practically airtight, and it seems since most houses have AC, no one ever opens any windows! Me an pops were talking about that yesterday for some reason. We used to do the same back in NY, up here there is no AC, the windows are open all day and night, unless its raining cats and dogs and windy, from spring till fall. Breathing got a lot easier, could also be the clean ocean air has a factor in it too though.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Of course.... I forgot to factor in the air conditioning. I'm in Scotland...we just don't need air conditioning in our homes but when I'm abroad, and there is air conditioning, it always chokes me up. That combination of sterility and a lack of fresh air simply isn't healthy.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Hmm interesting. When I was a child I grew up on a farm in Northern British Columbia and spent so much time playing outside sun up to sun down, plus ate a lot of home grown food. I never had any allergy problems. When I grew older, moved into the city and stopped spending so many hours outside and eating good food I developed an allergy problem very quickly. I sure do miss those good outdoors and garden food and so does my sinuses.

Oh I was also vaccinated as a child so it doesn't seem for me that the allergies had anything to do with the vaccines.

Now I'm in Las Vegas indoors with the AC on half the year, never have I dealt with this bad of allergies in my life!
edit on 7-5-2012 by seeker11 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
People who live in rural areas usually have fewer allergies and asthma. Parasite and higher germ exposure are good training for an immune system. You get a lot of pathogen exposure in rural areas (a lot of dung).

Real causes for asthma are; chlorine and paracetemol exposure, overuse of antibiotics, tobacco smoke and pollution, none of which I'd expect to see a lot of in an Amish area.It's hardly surprising they have less allergies etc.

And the majority of Amish parents do vaccinate.

Underimmunization in Ohio's Amish: Parental Fears Are a Greater Obstacle Than Access to Care

Olivia K. Wenger, MDa, Mark D. McManus, PhD, MSSWb, John R. Bower, MDc, Diane L. Langkamp, MD, MPHd

+ Author Affiliations
Departments of aPediatrics, cInfectious Diseases, and dDevelopmental Behavioral Pediatrics, Akron Children's Hospital, Akron, Ohio; and bSchool of Social Work, University of Akron, Akron, Ohio

Abstract

Results: Thirty-seven percent of the parents responded. Among the 359 respondents, 68% stated that all of their children had received at least 1 immunization, and 17% reported that some of their children had received at least 1 immunization. Only 14% of the parents reported that none of their children had received immunizations. Eighty-six percent of the parents who completely exempted their children from vaccines stated that the main reason they do not vaccinate their children is concern over adverse effects. Many parents indicated that they allow their children to receive only some vaccines because of concern about the way certain vaccines are produced.

edit on 10-5-2012 by Heresy because: forgot something

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join