It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amish farm kids remarkably immune to allergies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Amish farm kids remarkably immune to allergies

ca.news.yahoo.com

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Amish children raised on rural farms in northern Indiana suffer from asthma and allergies less often even than Swiss farm kids, a group known to be relatively free from allergies, according to a new study.

"The rates are very, very low," said Dr. Mark Holbreich, the study's lead author. "So there's something that we feel is even more protective in the Amish" than in European farming communities.

What it is about growing up on farms -- and Amish farms in particular -- that seems to prevent allergies remains unclear.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
So what is so different about these kids that makes them have 'normal' rates of allergies. While the rest of the world has an ever increasing and very 'abnormal' allergy rate? This article did not mention the reason exactly but it seems to be glaringly obvious. Amish kids don't get vaccinated. So the rest of us get an ever increasing rate of immune-system-bending vaccinations and wonder why our immune systems get all out of whack over pollen and peanuts. The Amish, by the way, don't get much autism either...
The article did mention raw milk which could well be a factor in why we in the super smart, high tech, and oh-so-wise modern society who drink cooked milk are choking on our own flem.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 4-5-2012 by RedPill because: spelling

+10 more 
posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

In addition to not being vaccinated they are introduced to allergens at young ages and their bodies are forced to fight it off naturally.

They don't run to the medicine cabinet for benedryl if a kid has one hive.

You have to let your body get use to the world we live in. Think of this for an example. If you kept a kid in a windowless room for 12 years then sent him outside, he would get sunburned. If the child grew up playing outside the body would have a built up immunity to the sun. Same exact reason for the allergies.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

All I have is this, take it for what it's worth. I never in my life had allergies until I was 22 years old and a doctor gave me Allegra samples and said to take them for 3 days. I did, and now I am stuffy and clogged every single day if I don't take an allergy pill. It's been 8 years. Wonder how I just "developed" allergies suddenly after 22 allergy free years.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It might have something to do with the 200 ish shots people give a new born. No this is probably because they have beards so it protects them. Couldn't possibly be the vaccines. Never.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

It could litreally be cause by a million different things.
The problem is we expose ourselves to so much dangerous stuff that when a problem comes around (and they do/will) we cant know for sure the root causes.
We are going to destroy ourselves on day.

Anything that proves our modern lifestyles are dangerous like this does is good. I wish people could wake up about how at risk we are of disease and stuff like that.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Raw milk and good exercise...lots of barn building and a lot less of tptb

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Probably a couple things 1 the amish try to stay away from the modern world and arent going to be wimps about their allergies and go running to the doctor therefore it does not get reported, and 2 they have a high resistance because they are out getting exercise and are exposed to it more while others hide indoors and breathe stagnant air all day

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
OP You're not dimensional detective... where is he anyway. lol same av.. anyhoo.

Yeah, funny how just recently in the news the've been telling us to stop going to doctors for viral infections and asking for anti-biotics because A: they don't work on virus' and B: Its making super bugs.

Yet those fellows who do not rely on English for their meds, are not as prone to getting crook.

Not sure if it can relate to allergies, but anyone with a brain knows that our lifestyle is almost reliant on the very sickness' we ooze. We're so entrenched in our own pollution we are like swamp creatures... lol.

And not many iPod kids get up at 5am to milk the cows, I guess.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by RedPill

Bull, they do vaccinate. The numbers are 63% of the general Amish population vaccinates. I live near an Amish community and they also give their kids shots.

Their lack of allergies most likely has to do with constant exposure to the agents in question and diets that are low in processed food.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree that processed food or GMO's are the most likely culprit.
But again, it could be anything.. And probably a combination of things.
edit on 4-5-2012 by HumanCondition because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
We live in a society where the FDA, CDC, Big Pharma, and Monsanto dictate what goes into our bodies.
Consequently we have allergies, strange (expensive) diseases, marginal "NOS" type ASDs, and messed with food.
The Amish don't.
Simple as that.
The big corporations have created a race of weak, sickly guinea pigs, with messed up immune systems. They have made great profits doing so. We have abetted them by buying into their propaganda.
Since the Amish refuse to live in our world they are stronger, healthier, and able to get on with life.

Leave the processed foods alone. Leave the [experimental] drugs alone. Eat organic food when possible. Get outside in the mud occasionally. Get some exercise. Very simple. Very healthy.
If you rely on the pretty adverts and scare tactics, you'll just get unhealthy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by HumanCondition

No sorry, can't be the vaccines. I'm tired of this being on the table when it's been proven false time after time for at least 10 years. The Amish vaccinate. The numbers are pretty clear concerning this. Stop spreading the lie.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I think it has to be because of exposure to the outdoors and -gasp- GERMS!

No antibacterial soaps and all that crap...you need to be exposed to things to build up a resistance.

All of the food is homegrown...but pretty fatteningly good stuff, but they do all the manual work it takes to stay mostly thin and healthy.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by HumanCondition

No sorry, can't be the vaccines. I'm tired of this being on the table when it's been proven false time after time for at least 10 years. The Amish vaccinate. The numbers are pretty clear concerning this. Stop spreading the lie.

Well its just as likely as anything else, also it could just help inhibit problems etc..
It hasn't been definitively proven false, we would need to test them for years to properly understand their full long term and other risks.
There could be problems lurking or developing we do not even know about due to vaccines, as with many other modern things in our lifestyles.
Do you have any links showing that the Amish vaccinate? I don't doubt you but just want to see for myself.

If you didn't notice I didn't even say anything about vaccines in my response to you, but I am interested in talking about it anyway.

I think that vaccines are a valuable technology, but like most things we release them to the market without much care about possible problems and effects. As I said it would litreally take years or decades to properly understand the risks related to these things, because corporations run things they do not want to pay for that so they make the government bend over and release their products at the expense of the public.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I'd imagine it is because they are exposed to high levels of pollen and other allergens on a regular basis. That is pretty much what your article says.

but other research has pointed to exposure to microbes and contact with cows, in particular, to partially explain the farm effect (see Reuters Health story of May 2, 2012).

The going theory is this early exposure to the diverse potential allergens and pathogens on a farm trains the immune system to recognize them, but not overreact to the harmless ones.

He speculated that it could be at least partly a result of the Amish having larger families or spending even more time outside or in barns than people on more modern working farms."The Amish are still of a limited genetic pool, I would assume, because they're much more segregated than the Swiss kids are," she told Reuters Health.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Who says the numbers arent the lie? maybe none of them vaccinate? You believe this because some words on the computer said so? Anyway I think vaccines are a great thing but dont believe anything that you havent experienced yourself unless you did all these studies

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Many people don't realize that certain "allergies" they may have are not what they think. Reactions to diary products actually cause sinus problems that can easily be mistaken for other kinds of allergies.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumanCondition

Do you have any links showing that the Amish vaccinate? I don't doubt you but just want to see for myself.

Here are a number of articles concerning the Amish
autism-news-beat.com...
pediatrics.aappublications.org...
blogs.plos.org...

They do vaccinate and they do have autistic kids. These are simply repetitions of one guys anecdotal observation and it was never true.
edit on 4-5-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

If some of them to vaccinate whats the bet it's only afew shots and not all of them!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join