It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does ATS entertain fraudulant advertising?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Why does ATS entertain fraudulant advertising companys with banners like "Mum earns $6000 a week working from home' or " i make $430 a day you can too" . sites who just want your info and cell phone numbers so they can spam you or send charges to your mobile. many of these are complete scams is ATS realy this hard up?

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
ATS itself doesn't really cater to the members, you can't delete your account, have to look at ads that anybodies standards and in my opinion have terrible views on some matters.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium
Why does ATS entertain fraudulant advertising companys with banners like "Mum earns $6000 a week working from home' or " i make $430 a day you can too" . sites who just want your info and cell phone numbers so they can spam you or send charges to your mobile. many of these are complete scams is ATS realy this hard up?

Well...I guess they could remove all advertising on this FREE site.. Then in a not very long period of time ATS, as we know it, would go poof.

Where will you complain then.......

Des

edit on 4-5-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
What ads? Are there ads on ATS? I only see a couple of ads, but, then, I never go to the home page. And the ads I DO see are usually for places that I have been. They are tailor made for me. For example, I went to a tent place because I was looking for one of those sports canopies. Now I see sport canopy ads. I looked at generators, and for awhile I saw generator ads. Then I looked at Disneyland vacations and whaddya know! I saw Disneyland ads!

The point is that the ads you see reflect where you've been. If you see ads saying you can make a gazillion dollars at home, it's very likely because you've investigated these "frauds." In other words, it's your own fault.

Cheers!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
post removed by staff

Adblockers are against the T&C.
Not that I personally care, but some folks have been warned by the mods for that statement in the past.
edit on Fri May 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

Bring on more ads...I love them when they are nice and colorful...seems to fill the space

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Its all about the money! All its all about the dumdillllum dum! Its all about the money! (8)

Haha lolz...I do love ATS though

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by auraelium

The point of the thread are the ads on ATS which are scams, if such exist. Should ATS contain such ads? It's not up to the members, but the ownership, and all we can do is ask that they select ads which will be truthful, beneficial to mankind, save the environment, bring world peace, grow back the rainforests, give sight to the blind and housing to the homeless, and then, when those ads accomplish all they have set out to do, only show ads with little birds and sweet scenes of summer.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Aleister because: better worded

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by auraelium

You do realize no website like ATS sits down and actually have talks with advertisers in a face to face way right?? They're carrying ads in programs like almost every other site on the net. Websites like this have some control over type and tone of the ads they are sent (sometimes) but thats about it. ATS doesn't get up/down voting on single ads..unless they are set up very differently than anything I'm aware of.

Given the Google hits from all over the pages...I think it's safe to say it's nothing really unusual.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I don't really care about the ADS, as that is not the reason I come to the site. The only advertising that bothers me is the viral advertising where people pretend to be members and link blogs or supposed independent websites that are advertising a book, idea, or looking for clicks of their own to generate revenue.

To be fair though, the mods catch most (all) of them and they don't last long.
edit on 4-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, if ATS is going to have ads, shouldn't they be selecting the ads? At least have a veto over ads? The people here and the owners know how manipulation works, how hustles work, what tends toward truth and what tries to take advantage of an already miseducated public. Maybe they could change their policy and actually approve or veto ads from now on, which would solve the point made by the OP on this thread (a sidenote: why is someone who starts a thread called an OP? It's probably a simple answer, I just don't know it).

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Do people actually click on those ads? You don't have to you know.

I always wondered who in their right mind would ever click on any ad- ever. There's google, yahoo, all kinds of ways to find the products you want.

Any ad is offensive. I don't want an offer of any sort- if I want something I will go look for it. I see ads (especially ads forced on you, i.e. ads with sound that play automatically) as a personal affront.
edit on 4-5-2012 by MzMorbid because: not many frogs out tonight.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Well, if ATS is going to have ads, shouldn't they be selecting the ads? At least have a veto over ads? The people here and the owners know how manipulation works, how hustles work, what tends toward truth and what tries to take advantage of an already miseducated public. Maybe they could change their policy and actually approve or veto ads from now on, which would solve the point made by the OP on this thread (a sidenote: why is someone who starts a thread called an OP? It's probably a simple answer, I just don't know it).

OP can refer to original post, or original poster.

As far as ATS vetting the ads on the site, I'm sure if there were some malicious advertising they would be very open to hear comments. But as far as scams, shams, and fakes paying to have their ads on the site...

Let them.

If you believe everything you read, there are a number of forums that would be great for you. Hit the Oprah forum, since they have over nine thousand members.

(Hidden reference in there if you know the story.)
edit on 4-5-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

OP, original poster. Thanks! Well, I think I'll pass on the Oprah forum. Actually run from it. As for the rest, I thought ATS could give a good example to other sites and news outlets by vetting its ads.

The worse ads here, imnho, are when you look at the site not logged in, the ads that cut through every thread at every fifth or sixth post. I bet one (1) of whatever money your country uses that this tactic has cost the site tens of thousands of viewers who leave upon seeing that. The information not passed to the public by that one advertising gimic by causing people to leave because of it hopefully will be further assessed by the owners here. Thanks.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Aleister because: edit

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

I can only tell you with certainty what I know from my own websites over the time and that is simply this. If there is an ad program with the volume and revenue a large site requires just to HELP offset costs (I'm sure the ads don't pay it all at a place like this) which also gives a real degree of go/no-go calls to individual ads and control of the whole thing at that level, Id dearly like to know about it myself.

Part of my business model will develop over time with very localized and very targeted ads. It's a community site. I'm in the unusual position with that site to live among my primary market and ABLE to pitch advertisers 1:1.

On the disaster site I toyed with last year and a couple other projects, it's not local though..so like ATS, the modern net pretty much leaves the option of the almighty Google or something VERY similar,

Now to us...ATS is the Bomb and they are one BIG website. Tons of traffic 24/7 and always something happening. Like Las Vegas. To Google? ATS isn't much...and likely has little to no special standing for demanding much of anything. Sad but true and in the monster levels of Google, even CNN is probably looked down upon as 'compact' for traffic. So, take what Google puts on the plate...or....go broke and visit other people's websites. Nice choice...but there it is.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
ATS has Ads?? Havent really noticed. But, most of the time ads are tailored to what you have "visited" or have searched for during the time you have used the Net, unless you delete your Cookies and everything else every time you close your browser.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The ads don't bother me at all as I understand that in order for ATS to be a free site it has to get money where it can. The only ads I don't like are ones that yell at me as I* scroll over them by accident.

But really, I don't even see the ads most of the time, my head just blocks them out. It happens after being online for years, you just learn what to mentally ignore. Kind of like selective hearing.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ats is very responsive to complaints about ads. SO wants to know of ads that we do not like and they will be removed from the site. Here is the link: www.abovetopsecret.com... Facts are, this all costs money, so for the privilege of being here you get to see some ads, big deal. Imho it is well worth it!

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Personally I am more upset over the ads asking me to sign a petition to start a war with Iran in exchange for a free flag pin...

I have never been more disgusted with ATS than at that moment...

But again I am sure ATS uses an ad service that randomizes the ads based on cookies so it's not entirely ATS fault...

But ATS could screen the ads better

Hope that add revenue is worth selling your soul for ATS...
edit on 5-5-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join