It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How prepared are YOU?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
A year ago I started preparing for 2012. I am not alone in thinking that something bad this way cometh. I have spent a lot of time researching medicine and other crucial studies that will allow me to survive without any hospitals or food stores.

My question is "How prepared are you for any eventuality?

Is your house paid off in case of total banking collapse?

Can you travel across country in a moments notice without needing to buy fuel along the way?

Do you have the ability to take your family to a safe place over water globally?

Can you grow your own food and preserve it?

Do you have enough seeds to start from scratch?

These are a few questions I had asked myself a year ago and since then I have been able to satisfy these and other concerns pretty cheaply. I may have spent 10k total in preparations, but my family is much safer now and in the future no matter what the political or economic climate. I can sleep at night knowing no matter what happens tomorrow I am prepared. Of course every day there is a new threat, but with proper planning I feel confident in my chances of survival.

I am going to list what I have done to prepare in general terms to save space, but I may elaborate further in discussion.

Sailboat: Capable of housing 4 people and sailing around the world.

Includes: Battery bank and solar charging with inverters, extra sails/rigging, 6 months rations, solar water distiller, fishing tackle, medicine kit, radiological gear and meds, various communication radios, hydrogen system for cooking, camping gear and spare clothing for every climate, lots of rope, built in flotation making vessel unsinkable.

Truck: Capable of towing boat fully loaded across country from coast to coast without stopping for fuel.

Includes: Hydrogen system used for enhancing mileage or for brazing/welding and cooking, inverter, spare battery, diesel engine (EMP safe), multifuel system using straight veggie oil or waste oil, air compressor, jacks, tools, spare tires and patch kits, winch, cables, cb and multiple charging ports for all devices.

House: Paid off and stocked for 6 months with stores and seeds.

Includes: Weapons of various sorts needed for self protection and hunting and lots of ammo for each, food stores for 6 months, water for 6 months drinking, hand pump well attachment, solar panels and grid tie inverter, multitude of tools from gardening to building and other useful devices.

Underground
Storm Shelter: Also used as root cellar, used for storing fresh veggies and potatoes over winter.

Includes: Fruits, veggies, potatoes, seeds, water, bedding, clothing, solar lights(new), radio, med kit, bug out bags, 2 guns and ammo and a small generator.

Bug Out Bags: Including more than a person should carry, but easily lightened if needed.
Includes various fire starters, leatherman tool, fishing gear, socks, string, compass, pistol and ammo, first aid and meds, radiological meter, rubber poncho and gloves. More items than i can list without emptying them out.

Along with the physical stuff in preparation came a new found interest in survival techniques and some books tucked inside bug out bags with maps of areas already scoped out for possible relocation sites. The bags are absolutely too heavy to carry long distance. My intention is to be mobile so bags get tossed into back floorboard until I need them, but I think it is better to have too much than not enough and a lot of the items inside can be traded for food along your journey if needed.

My point to this whole thread is not to make people upset or fear-monger. I am just trying to be prepared for any event that could happen. I know what geological events can occur in my area and I have a plan for each one. Some plans involve global warfare in which case we are not immune to nukes or worse. Some plans include isolation due to pandemics, but the same would be true for government takeover etc.

So how prepared are you today?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Wow those are good, do you have perimeter sensors that could alert you so you have time to respond and not be caught off guard.

I've got seeds of food I like and will be soon looking for chickens, rabbits, rabbits you'll never run out lol and barter what you don't eat for goods I'll need,

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I don't believe in hoarding things and preparing for 2012.

The thing is, if it is really the end of the world, nobody is going to be around.

That's what these hoarders seem to forget or willfully ignore.

But I don't believe the world is going to end or society will collapse. I've been hearing those alarmists saying that crap for decades now, and they've been wrong every single time they've "predicted" it.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
Wow those are good, do you have perimeter sensors that could alert you so you have time to respond and not be caught off guard.

I've got seeds of food I like and will be soon looking for chickens, rabbits, rabbits you'll never run out lol and barter what you don't eat for goods I'll need, [/quote

I have 4 dogs. One of them is half blind and barks at me so he will bark at anyone. The rest have been taught to only bark at intruders and they have a different bark for different people or animals etc.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
I don't believe in hoarding things and preparing for 2012.

The thing is, if it is really the end of the world, nobody is going to be around.

That's what these hoarders seem to forget or willfully ignore.

But I don't believe the world is going to end or society will collapse. I've been hearing those alarmists saying that crap for decades now, and they've been wrong every single time they've "predicted" it.

I don't believe in "Hoarding" either. What I have is 6 months of food which everyone should have. Before Walmart 24 hour stores people used to store enough food to last through the winter. Being prepared for tough times should not be confused with hoarding.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by onecraftydude

That is a bit different than people hoarding food and supplies in preparation for the end of the world. By this I mean they want supplies to last for years, not just a few months over a season.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The bank can have my house,they would be doing me a favor.
I am prepared for a few months worth of water and supplies.
Don't try to find me,cause my dogs will take of you before I do.
Then my .357 will take care of the rest.

With that,I am prepared with knowledge on how to survive off of the land.
I need not say more.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
How prepared do I need to be to go "mad bomb" on an occupying force? How many squads have you ever been in that get hit by 5 accurate shooters who can maneuver better than you?
Your SAW shooter goes first then commo simultainiously. Throw in molotov cocktails and you better be behind armored vehicles or you'll be dead.Victory comes from attack not from hiding.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Is this where we all get on here and brag about how much stuff we have socked away and how many guns we have and how eager we are to shoot the first sorry SOB who tries to take our food???

Ooooo OOOooo Pick me pick me.

I am so prepared that I know better than to get on an online conspiracy forum and let everyone know how prepared I am as well as letting the government (who is surely monitoring such sites) know exactly what I have up my sleve.

Just sayin'.
edit on 3-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed

Is this where we all get on here and brag about how much stuff we have socked away and how many guns we have?

Ooooo OOOooo Pick me pick me.

I am so prepared that I know better than to get on an online conspiracy forum and let everyone know how prepared I am as well as letting the government (who is surely monitoring such sites) know exactly what I have up my sleve.

Just sayin'.

Sweet come back...it's all a diversion ya know.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm fairly well prepared. It's always a work in progress, sure. But I'm already ahead of 95% of the public.

I don't have a specific scenario I'm preparing for; I keep it fluid.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   
to OP, those are very good questions, makes you think a step further than most people seem to think. most people are more into the guns than actually thinking of seeds and growing food.

to others
if you think they'll be no people around during a shtf then your probably thinking of after that horrible time when everyone else has already died through starvation, disease and violence otherwise known as SHTF. most people will probably die from disease. Your kinda forgetting that whole period which could last from a month to years. that is the shtf. when everyone is already dead the shtf is over and teowawki has begun.

to cynical poster who thinks that posting here is not intelligent, don't post here. all the guy said is that he has a sailboat, some seeds, and a basement in his paid off house. he didn't show pictures of his secret safe room with his gun safe open or anything. if you think its a bad idea to post here then lead by example.
edit on 4-5-2012 by Nephlim because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

A true survivalist shares a little bit but not all,

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

that's for me to know and
no-one else to find out.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
At the end of the day I don't think it matters on what you have stored or how prepared you think you are unless you have the right headspace to deal with the calamity you are dealing with.

It matters not a jot if you have a year's worth of stores and ammo and guns to stave off an army if you're an emotional basket case because your world has just been rocked.

My motto is live for today but have an eye for tomorrow. Prudence in planning and abundance in the now.

Love and light.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

How prepared are YOU?

Here's the thing...

... if and/or when TSHF in true, your survival efforts will get you, where? How long will that fresh water last? How long will your food stocks last? The world around you is in smolders and there is very few, if any places to restock anything. People are tribal once again, killing over a gnaw bone or a cup of nasty water that your dog wouldn't drink. There are no medicines, no places to buy cloths or other items of daily need.

If you fall and break a leg, chance are you will die a slow and agonizing death right there... or perhaps, somewhat faster as feral dogs and cats come looking for a meal.

So, you survived the great whatever but... now you have the unenviable task of continuing that survival through degrading and eroding conditions.

My point is that... if and when such an end rolls this way, do you really want to see what's on the other side?

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

After watching the movie "The Divide", I'm with you, don't think I want to survive anything major.
I have lots of food, but that's just because I trust canning more than a freezer.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

just because it was in a movie doesn't mean its ganna be like that. most shtf's are pretty temporary such as a 1 to 5 year civil war. Movies potray things alot worse than they usually end up. don't base your preps off movies like the Road, or Book of Eli.

Shoot, people have been surviving cave man style for years, where i live there were still natives living 100% native until 1970 when their community got wiped out by natural disaster.

thats why the poster said he has seeds.

The only world i wouldn't want to live in is a post nuclear world where plants won't grow in... Now that would literally be no food/no hope.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephlim

That's exactly what it was in the movie. LOL
Anything else, I'm prepared for.

posted on May, 9 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I think in the short tern 'sit x' might be a virus, human or computer, that will affect humans, I have three months supply of tinned/dried food, and packets of seeds, like most people, my finances are finite, there are no other places to go to, and I don't have transport anyway, I have small stocks of cooking fuel, knives, and a crossbow, two full water butts, and I am growing my own vegetables. the rest I leave up to knowledge and low native cunning..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join