It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coilgun Redesigns of Modern Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I've been redesigning moderns weapons to use coilguns and thermoplutonium batteries.

The P-ACR 45/600 is IRG Systems' preeminent rifle. It uses coilgun propulsion to fire rounds silently at an MV of up to 1300 m/s. Its carbonfiber barrels will never magnetize, ensuring consistent accuracy and power over the life of the rifle. It also supports most sights and scopes, and has a very high range and rate of fire with little or no recoil, making it the perfect sniper. It also supports the Magpul clip system, making clip switching fast and easy.

The AxG 45/50 uses rail/coil bullet propulsion on its .45 iron-capped depleted uranium rounds. There is less wasted mass this way, as the entire bullet is fired and no casing is ejected, helping to prevent jams. In the Mod 2 version, both barrels have argon injected just before firing.

Both barrels are carbon-fiber, and the barrels alternate fire. There are replaceable plutonium batteries (a larger version of those used in pacemakers) in the stock.

The IRG ACRm4 is a modified ACR, using magnetic acceleration to fire projectiles. It does not use traditional explosive rounds, but rather .45 depleted uranium rounds with an iron cap on the back. There is less wasted mass this way, as the entire bullet is fired and no casing is ejected, helping to prevent jams. It has a rail-mounted holo sight as well as ACR irons.

The weapon uses an undermount plutonium battery (a larger version of the type used in pacemakers) as a power source.

The AxG is modeled on the AUG. However, it uses rail/coil bullet propulsion on its .45 depleted uranium rounds with an iron cap on the back. There is less wasted mass this way, as the entire bullet is fired and no casing is ejected, helping to prevent jams.

Both barrels are carbon-fiber, and the barrels alternate fire. There is a replaceable plutonium battery (a larger version of those used in pacemakers) in the stock.

The assault version uses an EQ Tech holo sight.

-------------------------------------------------------
These designs were created with DoctorNoob's gun design tools.
Complete set hosted on my dA (evess-arudem.deviantart.com).

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Because Fukushima and DU amunition in early wars didn´t cut it.....
edit: like to see the math for your first design though, if not possible, how did you came up with the 1xxx m/s without actual knowledge of bullet weight, aerodynamics, energy conversion and so on?
Would also like to know how old you are to suggest DU ammo.
edit on 3-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

oh yeah, your signature says it all. So you are building EMP devices? Could you teach a electronics engineer how to do that? Your explanation of the theorie of that, would be enough for me to see..
edit on 3-5-2012 by verschickter because: (spelling)

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arudem

In the nicest possible way, this seems very much like child's play to me. Taking the standard body shape of existing guns and simply saying it is a coil gun seems rather far out. What is this depleted uranium rounds thing all about. I can find no information to the advantages of using uranium, Uranium being one of the heaviest elements on earth besides the slight nuclear problem would seem like the last possible choice of ammunition for a fire arm. I suggest you do some further research into EM weapon systems. This website is good for understanding the basics of EM weaponry applications www.powerlabs.org...

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
How many rounds would you expect to fire from one battery? Wouldnt you get a sonic boom from the bullet?

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by C1OUD

You gave the answer to your self: heavy mass => more penetration power.
The radiation is a subeffect because its Uranium and does nothing in terms of velocity or power. Its a sideeffect.
Although uranium dust can ignite in the target and ignite fuel/ammo. Its also self sharpening, meaning that the top of the round doesn´t deform on impact, making in more penetrating. Someone with more knowledge is invited to correct me if I´m wrong.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I have, actually. done the math. .45 NATO, 25% iron-carbon-neuo core, 75% DU.

posted on May, 3 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arudem
I've been redesigning moderns weapons to use coilguns and thermoplutonium batteries.

What were your calculations for the energy requirements to launch one of the projectiles? Aluminum might be a better choice; see USNavy railgun. Multiple barrels are not really necessary nor are flash supressors [unless you only get one shot per barrel] and coil assemblies would have to surround the barrels.Thermoplutonium batteries produce heat. You need to convert that to electrical power which means a generator. I'd also expect a capicator bank and a switch to rapidly dump the stored power into the coils. SF6 ionization switches are used for electron accelerators.
Given all of this, think about a truck mounted weapon; this won't be a lightweight. Assuming that the capicators would have to be a charged between shots, it probably would allow time for individual loading of each round.

It seems that all you are doing is scifi artwork and disregarding what an actual weapon might look like.

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arudem
I have, actually. done the math. .45 NATO, 25% iron-carbon-neuo core, 75% DU.

hm... if I ask you to post the math?
Will you say its secret?
How much Joule do you need to compel it to 1300m/s
How heavy is your round?
Wich type of wire do you use?

Post the math, if you really have done it, all questions will be answered. Ah this is so funny.

posted on May, 5 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Carbon fibre barrel? Do you mean a carbon fiber barrel lined with steel? If not, how long would you expect these barrels to last? Weapons design calls for a bit more than drawing pictures.

posted on May, 7 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Man I came in here thinking we were going to see a nice well written thread about the Army's current attempts at making a coilgun based mortar system.... Instead we got "this"

Also I'd like to know how you intend to supply massive amounts of power with a plutonium battery type that's specifically configured to supply MINIMAL amounts of power over long duration.
edit on 7-5-2012 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join