It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much longer do you predict Christianity will be taken seriously?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by closerseemsfurther

What bible are you reading?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

Here's a better question.

Assuming Christianity does die down, what will happen to our race after that? Will morals survive, or will we become cold and mechanical?

It'll be strictly survival, no spiritual. Materialism will reign. And when that happens, we will all be truly lost.

What do you guys think?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Like I said it is love that will empower mankind to progress at that point, which is the way it should be. Love for things that actually exist though
. You know like all the people and animals around the world suffering. Those are the things we should divert our love to.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Also my morals are based in practice and learning from the experiences of others. I do this by learning as much history as possible. I dont need a book to tell me what good morals are. Especially a book that needs to reassess the morals it teaches.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skepticesque
Not much longer, hopefully.

Without it, we would have been far more technologically advanced than we are currently.

Right, right...because technology has done a wonderful job of saving our lives and protecting the world, aye?

Atomic bombs, napalm, drones that attack civilians, guided bullets, cars that continue to use dirty fuel, land fills, oil rigs....oh boy, technology.

Don't you think we've done enough with the material world? Let's focus on spirituality...preferably not in the style favored by Judaics.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ofNight

The internet, rational thought, and thinking outside the box is actually making loads of Christians too. I was basically an agnostic theist (you know "whatevs, we'll find out when we die") until I had a year off from school and evaluated what I believed if anything at all. I came out of that an Orthodox Christian and a gnostic theist. I see a lot of other people finding religion through research as well. Orthodox Christianity is one of the fastest growing Churches in the U.S. behind Mormons and non-denoms and we don't even knock on peoples' doors. Also, what many people consider to be rational thought is just western Aristotelian logic that was fine-tuned by the Roman Church. Yep, Roman Catholicism is responsible for sewing the seeds of the enlightenment and making it popular by suppressing it. I think once people look outside the box of western thinking, they realize that our materialist dialectic in "rational discourse" is just one way of thinking. An atheist in the West is not the same as in the East; Epicurius vs. the Atheist Vedist Schools in India. Religion isn't "all the same" either, unless you look at them from a super nebulous macro level and conclude that they all think there's a problem with the human soul/psyche and that there's a solution.

Yes, the internet and society might be straining out nominal uneducated Christians, but we bring in the people who are hungry for truth.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

In case you haven't noticed, the only thing history teaches us is that our race loves making mistakes...it just figures out how to make them better.

We don't learn from them. We learn AROUND them.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
Answer me this tho. Why do YOU care what other people believe in?

If you're so damn secure in your own mind, why not just ignore Christians?

Could it be you aren't so sure, deep down?

edit on 1-5-2012 by Beavers because: (no reason given)

I'm sorry, wasn't aware that promoting rational discussion showed that I was somehow insecure in my own beliefs, that's a completely logical assumption.

Originally posted by britelite1971
reply to post by ofNight

Why are you separating out christianity from the other religions? What's the difference between christianity, new age, islam, jewish beliefs etc? What makes christianity less believable than any of those? Besides that if christianity is such a ridiculous idea, why do people like you spend so much time thinking about it and trying to disprove it? Kind of a waste of time for something that shouldn't be taken seriously isn't it? Why bother?

Oh, I don't know, considering it's the worlds most popular religion? The difference between Christianity, New Age, Islam, Judaism, etc. is that Christianity is the most popular. I never said Christianity was less believable, nor do I spend time disproving it. Once again, you're stirring the pot with your own ridiculous assumptions.

Originally posted by greyer
reply to post by ofNight

Good to know that you're generation is going to ruin the world. I am not suggesting that christians save the world, but that the younger generation is athiest, they have no love or understanding. Love is spiritual, the world cannot love without being spiritual. Physical is ignorance, for you to live in the world ignorant and not believe in anything more than physical means you cannot contribute spiritually (with love) to the world and you should be rejected from society as an outcast. I have no tolerance for haters, and a person who doesn't love is a hater to me.

Empathy doesn't require spirituality. If this generation ruins the world, it'll be thanks to the generations before it.

edit on 1-5-2012 by ofNight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

We? Dont lump me in with the masses. Honestly you shouldnt lump yourself in either. We both deserve the right to be free from the mistakes of others. The majority may work around the mistakes. But I do not. I know a lot of people in my life and here on ATS that definitely dont belong in that group of ignorance. Do you think I created the atom bomb, persecuted the jews, or enslaved the Africans? Did You? I deserve the chance to prove I am not my ancestors. I whole-heartedly agree that materialism is a direction we are heading and a direction we dont want to go. I believe in love, and I believe people dont need a religion to find love. Love is god in my eyes. What everyone calls god is really what love is. Not love for anyone specific but love in general. I instantly know whats right and wrong. Not because god told me but because my heart did.

edit on 1-5-2012 by Renegade2283 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade2283

My apologies. What I meant to say was, "The government learns AROUND mistakes." The 'we' comes in when we are forced to support their agenda, by law.

Ah! Someone who understands. Love is the resonance of pure positive energy within the chakras. And that energy is God.

Dios es amore.

edit on CTuesdaypm404019f19America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Ah I see. So are chakras a Hindu thing? I recently watched an episode of the avatar, it went very in depth into chakra's and all that. It all seems very.... logical. I always kinda saw Hinduism and Buddhism as a good explanation for the unknown properties of energy.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Renegade2283

Ah I see. So are chakras a Hindu thing? I recently watched an episode of the avatar, it went very in depth into chakra's and all that. It all seems very.... logical. I always kinda saw Hinduism and Buddhism as a good explanation for the unknown properties of energy.

Just because a faith is given credit, does not mean it really deserves that credit. Chakras originate since before Homo Sapiens...ever heard of the Naacals? Look it up.

Chakras are just one part of the whole energy system and how it relates to our bodies. Even global consciousness...there's a reason our planet is going to hell...all of that negative emotion and dark thought, it really wasn't going to turn out any other way.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'm coming up on minus 28 years of not taking it seriously

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Science hasn't disproved God, but I'm pretty sure it has disproven Christianity.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
reply to post by ofNight

It'll be strictly survival, no spiritual.

A strictly survivalist culture would be much more spiritually tuned in than a culture that doesn't have to kill their own food.

Every life form is born with survival mechanisms. Some people just prefer to ignore them, but to do that is to ignore what you are. Ignore-ance is one of the greatest barriers to "spiritual" awareness.
edit on 1-5-2012 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

reply to post by ofNight

A strictly survivalist culture would be much more spiritually tuned in than a culture that doesn't have to kill their own food.

Every life form is born with survival mechanisms. Some people just prefer to ignore them, but to do that is to ignore what you are. Ignore-ance is one of the greatest barriers to "spiritual" awareness.

Wrong. Dead wrong. Sorry, but a strictly survivalist culture will have no qualms over killing a man for a scrap of bread or a cup of gasoline. All hope, all appreciation for life, all unity in purpose, will be gone...and in its place, an empire of tyranny and ignorance will be erected.

Survival mechanisms are for life-forms unable to grasp anything beyond the necessities of life. We are better than that, stronger than that. See, survivalism is all about taking, but spiritualism is all about sharing.

You cannot take and share at the same time. In fact, if your primary focus is taking, so as to ensure your survival, it is virtually impossible to give. After all, it will eventually become a mania within the human mind.

Do you have any understanding at all of how the human mind works in a survivalist world?
edit on CTuesdaypm050534f34America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: I felt like it.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Science hasn't disproved God, but I'm pretty sure it has disproven Christianity.

This, I will agree with. Absolutely.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Personally I think it is a disgrace that people associate God with religion. I do believe that there is a creator, or at least some type of supreme being that created all of this we know. But religion is an ugly and evil thing created by man and used and abused by man. Every religion in the world is completely related (being that there is one true God), yet man has turned all religions against eachother and ultimately creating hatred towards fellow human beings. So to me, any religion is a step in the wrong direction if you are tying to please some kind of creator. You don't have to go to church or claim a religion as your own to believe in God. So yes I do hope that Christianity dies off, as well as all other religions. I think it has potential to bring us all together and maybe even find more truth.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

reply to post by ofNight

Wrong. Dead wrong. Sorry, but a strictly survivalist culture will have no qualms over killing a man for a scrap of bread or a cup of gasoline. All hope, all appreciation for life, all unity in purpose, will be gone...and in its place, an empire of tyranny and ignorance will be erected.

Survival mechanisms are for life-forms unable to grasp anything beyond the necessities of life. We are better than that, stronger than that. See, survivalism is all about taking, but spiritualism is all about sharing.

You cannot take and share at the same time. In fact, if your primary focus is taking, so as to ensure your survival, it is virtually impossible to give. After all, it will eventually become a mania within the human mind.

Do you have any understanding at all of how the human mind works in a survivalist world?
edit on CTuesdaypm050534f34America/Chicago01 by Starchild23 because: I felt like it.

Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea what has to be done to ensure you get 3 meals a day? You think you're more spiritual because you can buy food from a grocery store instead of having to hunt it yourself?

How would you feel if you were kept in a cage all your life with the guarantee that you would be consumed by your slave master once you were fat enough?

Oh yeah, we're much more spiritual now.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

You do realize I either cook over a campfire or eat it raw, right?

So no, I am not blind.

But survivalism takes our worst qualities and makes them mandatory, just to stay alive. What part of this is hard to understand?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join