It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explain to me how Homosexuals aren't "born that way".

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantom28804

Then she decided she was a lesbian. I was saying there was no pre-cursor that I know of etc. Not saying that she didn't have the urges throughout life. Just my own personal observation.

Yeah, I'm not sure that was the same type of "decided" the people in the other thread would be referring to, but I see what you are saying.

It's actually hard to say with girls these days it seems the whole "bisexual" deal is in right now, so most girls experiment or at least let on they have, so it's hard to say if they are making a decision or not. Personally, I feel if you can make that choice at all, you aren't really making a choice.

I can't today decide that some dudes junk is going to turn me on, doesn't work that way. So if I was to start messing around with guys tomorrow, I'd have to say it was always there, maybe at an unconscious level.

I have a friend, one I've mentioned in another thread here, who experimented with women and didn't like it, tried it once, gave it a shot, didn't do anything for her. In fact she said it was quite un-enjoyable. So yes, she decided to try, but her body told her nope, wrong parts, not working.

So you could say she decided to try homosexual intercourse, but she couldn't, like I don't think anyone can, decide to be gay.

edit on 30-4-2012 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Thank you I was hoping someone would do this. How many times will someone ask this here? Most people don't choose to be looked down on and who would choose a life that makes them 2nd class under the law? Do all Christians realize the Bible said nothing bad about homosexuality until the dark ages when the pope demanded that it was changed? God never promoted hatred like some people do. And if governments were willing to put money up to study this a long time ago we'd know exactly how someone is born that way. Some studies are finally starting to figure it out like one has shown difference in skull structure of gay people and some say its genetics. In the end though it doesn't take a scientist to figure it out. Logic and common sense proves enough.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom28804
I have known a few people who were straight and then just up and changed their minds one day.

simply not true

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If the idea of our individual sexual preferances is only based on things like genetics and biology, or phisology then wouldn't that also give rise to the acceptance of acts we at this points still consider to be immoral like beastiality, incest, and pedofilia? Those are sexual preferences...so if they are only a genetic defucnt then how bad are they really based on that idea of what they are representative of?
Also could one go a step further and say the specific acts performed during sex that some consider innapropriate like sadism or beating your partner or such really be nothing more than your genetic response to the enviroment which you have put yourself in?
Its interesting to think about although I believe it all to be immoral, even heterosexuality, but its important for even the hardest minded individual to test their theories in the marketplace of ideas. Thats how we grow stronger.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I remember when I was in high school one of the girls I dated had a little brother who was all of 8 or so. The kid was constantly stealing her dresses and underwear etc.

That's probably a Transgender.

Different then homosexual.

Just an FYI.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevilsLettuce
If the idea of our individual sexual preferances is only based on things like genetics and biology, or phisology then wouldn't that also give rise to the acceptance of acts we at this points still consider to be immoral like beastiality, incest, and pedofilia? Those are sexual preferences...so if they are only a genetic defucnt then how bad are they really based on that idea of what they are representative of?

Its Sexual Orientation - - not preference.

I do believe pedophiles are born also.

But - - - pedophile has a victim. It can not be legal.

Researchers today say: "we are all shades of gray". Black and White (male/female) - - - is scientifically outdated.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

One of my best friends is queerer than a 3 dollar bill.
He knew when he was 6 that he liked boys.

He was born that way and knew it and just went with it.
I agree with you...you can't pick what your genitals like or want.
It is what it is.

I usually don't bother with the gay threads because there is too much judging and hatred to even bother typing a reply.

People are people...the ones who have a problem with it might have to either agree to disagree or go and look in the mirror before judging others.

They are born the way they are born.

Amazing that he knew that at 6 years old, before puberty !!!

LOL on the other hand, i know a few gay people , and they are different in many ways, not just sexually...i notice they think they are really worldly, not sure why...and that most of them have told me it took a real decision at a point, and has not made them feel better , or not better...other than the fact they "decided".

I have to ask this question though, why must you talk so strangely when you have made the choice, is it something that happens to your olfactory nerves ?? My buddies who came out of the closet suddenly started talking different, acting different until they were so queer it was just too weird to be around.

I think much of it is Trendiness, and not self-expression at all, much like tattoos.

edit on 30-4-2012 by GrinchNoMore because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
monkey see monkey do. If a person sees 2 guys kissing as a child, he will be more likely to copy them.
You probably don't have kids, or haven't been around them much. They copy nearly everything they see.
They're like sponges.

second, there's a theory that's called "exotic becomes erotic"
Most kids hang out with children of the same gender. They say girls are icky at a young age.
That's normal development.
Many people who turn out gay, say they mostly hung out with girls.

This ongoing argument is ridiculous. There's no way to prove either side is right, because both sides are half right and half wrong.

For nearly every debate on whether it's nature or nurture based, It's ALWAYS a mixture of both.
Homosexuals aren't just born that way. It's a combination of being born with a genetic makeup that makes them susceptible, AND being exposed to certain environmental factors.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
You know, the main group of folks who are so adamant that homosexuality is wrong are the same folks who encourage us to love one another.

edit on 30-4-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

I can't recall any christians encouraging us to love one another in a looong time.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by GrinchNoMore

Amazing that he knew that at 6 years old, before puberty !!!

That is exactly why i don't even want to post here anymore....denying ignorance is hard when surrounded by so many ignorant and immature people.

LOL on the other hand, i know a few gay people , and they are different in many ways, not just sexually...i notice they think they are really worldly, not sure why...

Yes you have gay friends but...www.abovetopsecret.com...

My buddies who came out of the closet suddenly started talking different, acting different until they were so queer it was just too weird to be around.

Who cares??
People are people.

You really don't get it do you??

Again....www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 30-4-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Then you are really uninformed. Even science has found the brain of a gay person is physically different than from a straight person.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
You know, the main group of folks who are so adamant that homosexuality is wrong are the same folks who encourage us to love one another.

Despite the confusing similarity, "Love your neighbor as yourself" and "stick your penis in his anus" are not synonymous.

With that said, the group of Christians that seek out to judge other folks for their lifestyles quite clearly aren't as Christian as they think...per the Bible:

“Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." - Matthew 7:3-53

AND

"Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?" - James 4:11-12

...and saying that this group (which blatantly doesn't follow what Christ taught let alone the above scriptures) somehow represents Christianity is like saying "Casey Anthony represents America, therefore America must be about killing kids and getting away with it." The logic behind that is empty and ignorant.

If someone is behaving contrary to the teachings of a religion they're obviously not representative of it and shouldn't be hoisted up as such. I don't why people pretend not to understand that simple concept.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to I believe that none of us are born with an automatic sex drive towards either sex. All of it is taught. No one is born straight or gay but we are born with a natural instinct to reproduce. Gay people can't do that. So it doesn't make sense.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Well the main one I remember was my neighbor, because I had a huge crush on her as a teenager. She was married with 2 kids. It was always my fantasy that one day I might get to hook up with her when I was 18 lol. So I kept talking to her and flirting etc. She flirted back at times, and then it was like my dream came true and she kicked her husband out. Next thing I knew she had decided she was a lesbian.

Sorry apparently I needed to clarify this post more. The point is that she was living the lifestyle of a heterosexual until she kicked her husband out. Then she decided she was a lesbian. I was saying there was no pre-cursor that I know of etc. Not saying that she didn't have the urges throughout life. Just my own personal observation.

You know as much about what was going on in her head as I do about what's happening in yours. For all you know she could have been bisexual or perhaps is completely homosexual and lived a lie till then.

Other than marriage options and children by sexual intercourse I'm not sure how my life as a homosexual is any different to that of a heterosexual, I mean, there isn't a special homo furniture store or supermarket.

I'd bet money I'm better at sport than most who consider who consider themselves heterosexual. Except olympians. And cricket - wtf is up with cricket I just don't get it.

edit on 30-4-2012 by Garfee because: damnit oops

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   

I've always had a problem with people saying that they are born with a sexual preference.

I admit, people may not have a choice with whom they are attracted to but think about it, we are talking about a newborn baby, how is it that a new born baby has any sexual orientation? Obviously a newborn does not have sexual desires. Sex becomes a thought process much later.

Being gay or straight might not be a persons decision and they may just be attracted to the opposite or the same gender naturally without conscious thought but that is a far cry from being born that way. Children are not born into a sexual orientation as children are not sexual beings.

Just my thoughts. I am not saying any of us have control over what gender we are attracted to, only that it is not a distinction we are born with as babies don't have sexual desires. Just trying to think about this critically. I mean, we are talking about new born babies when we are saying we are born with something.

Its like saying someone was born with great athletic ability. Well, no they weren't, they were born around 7lbs with hardly a speck of muscle. They may be a natural athlete but they certainly weren't born that way even though the athletic ability came about in a natural way without a choice being made.

If someone says "I had no choice in the matter of if I was gay or not" that makes sense to me but for someone to say "I was born gay" makes zero sense to me. Babies aren't gay or straight, they are babies.
edit on 30-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

Babies might not have sexual desires but I think the general notion is that they are pre-programmed for when it's time to develop them.

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

Put that way it makes a little more sense to me, though I am not sure If I buy it or not. I guess I just subscribe to the notion that it is something that comes about naturally in ones life. I dunno. If someone thinks they were born gay who am I to argue with them, it just doesn't seem correct to me. I don't think I was born straight, but that is just my opinion without any science to back it up.

Who knows. I suppose it could be in the dna or something like that, I guess I just take the exception that a baby couldn't possibly have any sort of sexual orientation but to say that it is genetic and comes out during normal growth well, that I could see I suppose. I guess I have more of a problem with the saying than the notion. I guess I just feel like it makes more sense to say "Being gay is not a choice" than to say "I was born gay" just semantics really I guess.

edit on 30-4-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

I want to rant on this...

You are born with needs, not wants or desires. You entrust your parents for love, food, shelter, and hydration.

This is how you are born. Naked, hungry, tired, and looking for company.

You do not come out of your mother and find yourself attracted to the same, or opposite, sex.

I believe the influence and experiences throughout your life determine your sexual orientation. Much like cooties brings boys closer to girls. Or the knee "girl crazy" test.

Maybe it is just me, but most homosexuals I know seem to have had an abusive child hood, maybe was molested, or missing a parent from the home. Just what I have observed.

Of course I do have some homosexual friends that are females who claim they can go back and forth, but do not claim bi. They claim straight out on and off switch....

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Attraction is a chemical reaction that happens in your body. YOU have no control over who you are attracted to. Nature has already decided such things.

Now whether or not you CHOOSE to agree with your own emotions as opposed to the opinions of others is entirely up to you.

Why you would care about other's opinions of your body's natural responses is beyond me, but whatever to each their own.

Does environment play a part? Probably. Can you prove it? No.

So why argue? I can't say for sure that I was "born" gay, but I sure am now and have been ever since I can remember. ( or were old enough to understand attraction & relationships)

The whole born gay thing is kind of a misnomer anyway as you aren't actually born with all of your bodily functions and features fully grown, that stuff comes over time regardless of whether or not you end up on the LGBT side or not.

Sexual maturity is when you can actually, conciously make that decision, and it isn't based on the WANT of being gay trust me, I wanted nothing more than to be straight when I was a kid, what an easy life that would have been.

Either way, until we can actually scientifically prove, anything, we should probably just respect ourselves and each other.

~Tenth

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sting130u

I had a great childhood. I was born and raised in the far north of New Zealand where the climate and lifestyle is quite nice, to put it plainly.

My parents are still together and while there were rough patches, there always are. They love me and I love them and to the best of my knowlege I was not sexually molested and the pnly physical 'abuse' I experienced was a scary old wooden spoon which my sister and I promptly stole, snapped and threw under the house when we knew we could get away with it.

My upbringing was so wholesome it bordered the ridiculous - yet I was never sheltered.

I didn't learn to be homosexual and i certainly am not so stupid to choose the more difficult option. I'm quite convinced I was pre-programmed to to be attracted to males.

Of course, this must be the devil talking and I am am obviously lying to cover up media influence and sexual abuse and I am offending the bible oh won't somebody think of the children etc

<< 1    3  4 >>

join