It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Still Warming Your Baby's Bottle/food in the Microwave? Read On!

page: 2
11
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
you know i dont think iv ever done this with any of my kids when they were babies ...

its a bad idea .. use a sauce pan..




posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Almost every American home has one. The convenience offered by owning a microwave oven is almost undeniable. But there remains a level of skepticism for many—a lingering feeling that using a microwave to cook food may somehow make food less healthy. Does cooking with a microwave take nutrients out of food? Understanding how microwaves work can help clarify the answer to this common question. Microwave ovens cook food with waves of oscillating electromagnetic energy that are similar to radio waves but move back and forth at a much faster rate. These quicker waves are remarkably selective, primarily affecting molecules that are electrically asymmetrical — one end positively charged and the other negatively so. Chemists refer to that as a polarity. Water is a polar molecule, so when a microwave oven cooks or heats up food, it does so mainly by energizing — which is to say, heating up — water molecules, and the water energizes its molecular neighbors. In addition to being more selective, microwave-oven energy is also more penetrating than heat that emanates from an oven or stovetop. It immediately reaches molecules about an inch or so below the surface. In contrast, regular cooking heat goes through food rather slowly, moving inward from the outside by process of conduction. Some nutrients do break down when they’re exposed to heat, whether it is from a microwave or a regular oven. Vitamin C is perhaps the clearest example. So, as a general proposition, cooking with a microwave probably does a better job of preserving the nutrient content of foods because the cooking times are shorter.


www.health.harvard.edu... thats what harvard
medical school has to say on the matter,and as another poster allready pointed out with the bpa thing i think id be more worried about what the container is made of as opposed to what its doing to my food if that makes any sense figure my ciggertte usage will have a far more detremental impact on my life then the microwave but thats just my opinion



posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Thank you very much, I've just forwarded this around to a number parents

S&F



posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
I always heat the milk on the stove. We have a gas stove so really it takes less time to heat it on the stove. I put the milk (coconut & almond milk mixture) in a small pot and turn the heat on high and stir with my *clean* finger so it gets to just the right temp and then I pour the milk into the bottle and voila! no pockets of steaming liquid, and no guilt for wrecking the nutritional value.



posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by UsualSuspect
reply to post by fotsyfots
 


Still no good to just heat the water, I hav seen a study where 2 identicle plants were watered daily. 1 with regular tap water, the other with microwaved water that was allowed to cool. The 2nd plant didn't last more than a week if I recall correctly.
The way a microwave heats food has something to do with changing the structure of the water ions.

I try to use it as little as possible but sometimes it's just so damn convenient!


False. Completely untrue.
www.snopes.com...



posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KillThePoor
reply to post by mileysubet
 


I just want to point out to you that radiation leaking from the microwave is not the issue. The problem is with how the microwaves heat the food in the first place. It alters the molecular bonds through violent oscillation and changes certain compounds into toxins.


False.
According to Louis A. Bloomfield who has his PH.D. in in Physics from Stanford University.....

"Microwaves don't affect the molecular structure of the food, except through the thermal effects we associate with normal cooking (e.g., denaturing of proteins with heat and caramelizing of sugars). That's because, like all electromagnetic waves, microwaves are emitted and absorbed as particles called "photons." The energy in a microwave photon is so tiny that it can't cause any chemical rearrangement in a molecule. Instead, it can only add a tiny amount of heat to a water molecule."


Long story short all cooking changes food. What happens when you cook an Egg? Does this only happen in the microwave? No. I guess the frying pan changes the molecular bonds too, we should stop using it.



posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by quedup
 


The researchers put the broccoli in water and boiled it for 5 minutes in the microwave, and compared it to steamed vegetables. This is like driving a hummer at 30 miles an hour and comparing it to the Ford Fusion driving 100mph and concluding driving 100mph is more fuel efficient.

How about you overcook brocolli in boiling water and then see what the nutritional value is.

www.drbriffa.com...



posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Here is an article on an experiment using microwaved water on plants.

Microwaved water kills plant in home grown experiment [/ur


[url=http://www.eutimes.net/2011/03/experiment-microwaved-water-kills-plants/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheEuropeanU nionTimes+%28The+European+Union+Times%29]Pictures



edit on 28-4-2012 by herenow because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-4-2012 by herenow because: (no reason given)



posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by herenow
Here is an article on an experiment using microwaved water on plants.


I already debunked this, it is not true. Sorry. NaturalNews is a terrible source I have found. Look up for my link where a scientific experiment (not home grown) proved this is a proven hoax.



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
We've been without a microwave oven for over a year and a half now.

Don't miss it a bit!



We stopped using our microve oven six months ago and the difference in the taste is massive.
I`d never go back to using one.



posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   


Standing in front of a microwave is also highly damaging to your health. Perhaps you have already felt this intuitively? We know that cells explode in the microwave - just fry an egg in your microwave. We are made up of trillions of cells. So work out how many are getting damaged if you stand in front of your microwave for 5-10 minutes.

this thread is all kinds of stupid.
pls learn a little bit about how microwaves work before claiming them to be the work of the devil.



new topics

top topics



 
11
<< 1   >>

log in

join