It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Still Warming Your Baby's Bottle/food in the Microwave? Read On!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Yes, we are all used to the fast life, fast cars, fast communication and fast food but when it comes to microwaves, we really are heading for a fast life (as in over and done with) - these modern marvels sure wont extend your life.

We tend to ignore the warnings because micro cooking is sooooo convenient and many of us don't even look at the dangers because of this, we don't really want to know BUT .......

www.apparentlyapparel.com...

TextOne study that did recently receive national press coverage found that broccoli cooked in a microwave oven lost almost all of its antioxidants (a stunning 97% depletion), compared to 11% lost by conventional steaming. Given that the antioxidants in broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables (like cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage) are known to have powerful anti-cancer effects (in part by modulating estrogen metabolism), this is indeed a serious loss. This reaffirms an earlier Russian study showing a 60-90% decrease in food value in microwaved foods. Bad though this is, however, it may pale by comparison with some of the other problems posed by microwaving. A Swiss study from 1992 conducted by Dr. Hans Hertel, which was suppressed by several years of legal maneuvering by a powerful electrical appliance trade organization, found a decreased number of red blood cells, and of their oxygen bearing hemoglobin content, in people eating microwaved foods, along with increased cholesterol levels. Even more troubling is the creation in these foods of radiolytic compounds hitherto unknown in nature, the effects of which on the human body remain completely unknown.

TextThe above article is very informative

www.relfe.com...

TextINALLY, in 1998 the Court `Gag Order' was removed. In a judgment delivered at Strasbourg on 25 August 1998 in the case of Hertel v. Switzerland, the European Court of Human Rights held that there had been a violation of Hertel's rights in the 1993 decision. The Court decided that the `gag order' prohibiting him form declaring that microwaved food is dangerous to health was contrary to the right to freedom of expression. In addition, Switzerland was sentenced to pay compensation of F40,000.

and the Russians have something to say too:

TextTextRUSSIANS BAN MICROWAVE OVENS After the World War II, the Russians also experimented with microwave ovens. From 1957 up to recently, their research has been carried out mainly at the Institute of Radio Technology at Klinsk, Byelorussia. According to US researcher William Kopp, who gathered much of the results of Russian and German research - and was apparently prosecuted for doing so (J. Nat. Sci, 1998; 1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1:42-3) - the following effects were observed by Russian forensic teams:

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

As a result microwave ovens were banned in Russia in 1976; the ban was lifted after Perestroika.

TextStanding in front of a microwave is also highly damaging to your health. Perhaps you have already felt this intuitively? We know that cells explode in the microwave - just fry an egg in your microwave. We are made up of trillions of cells. So work out how many are getting damaged if you stand in front of your microwave for 5-10 minutes.

How often do we use this method of cooking? As time goes on, more and more Supermarkets are providing this fast food for our convenience. Is the food you eat in your favorite restaurant really steamed, or steamed in the Microwave.

Perhaps it's time to take another look at this method of cooking before it becomes the next health catastrophe, I remember (way back) when they used to tell us that smoking was good for you!!!!

edit on 27-4-2012 by quedup because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Bull #.

A properly sealed microwave oven does not allow any harmful radiation out of it.

Food that has been cooked in a microwave oven does not carry any traits of the radiation over to the consumer. It may taste like # but it wont hurt you...
edit on 27-4-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

And you are qualified in this area?

Not being funny but ... careful

You certainly haven't had time to read the information.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

do you have any evidence to back that up? or is this just you saying...don't worry everything is just fine...

this scientist seems to disagree with you...link

edit on 27-4-2012 by here4awhile because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

His answer came 4 mins after thread posted - so either he hasn't got kids or he is an expert in the area so doesn't need to read the evidence or he is a know it all - anyones guess.

4 mins to absorb information and post an opinion - I think I'll go with the article.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

and yet here is another link seems to confirm this just as well...

Dr. Lita Lee of Hawaii reported in the December 9, 1989 Lancet:

"Microwaving baby formulas converted certain trans-amino acids into their synthetic cis-isomers. Synthetic isomers, whether cis-amino acids or trans-fatty acids, are not biologically active. Further, one of the amino acids, L-proline, was converted to its d-isomer, which is known to be neurotoxic (poisonous to the nervous system) and nephrotoxic (poisonous to the kidneys). It's bad enough that many babies are not nursed, but now they are given fake milk (baby formula) made even more toxic via microwaving."

this link seems to go a bit more in depth on the subject as well...

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Thanks for that info!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Heres another:

Convenience V Health and Nutrition

www.wellnesstips.ca...

I think for those who don't mind ignoring the health benefits for convenience - that's ok - it's like smoking or drinking - your choice! But when it comes to your children - you want the information before you take any chances and it's still your choice but is that fair?

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I only skimmed over the OP but I thought EVERY parent knew not to do this. They tell you not to in every baby magazine, every pregnancy book, before you leave the hospital. It is pretty impossible not to escape the knowledge that you never heat a bottle in the microwave. Not because of what is posted above but because of hots sots than can scald a babies mouth even when the rest of the bottle seems relatively cool.

I don't use a microwave ever.
edit on 27-4-2012 by calstorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I just want to point out to you that radiation leaking from the microwave is not the issue. The problem is with how the microwaves heat the food in the first place. It alters the molecular bonds through violent oscillation and changes certain compounds into toxins. It also destroys whatever nutrients, like vitamins, that were in the food. This has actually been known for a very, very long time. Again, it's not that ionizing radiation is leaking from the ovens. It's actually a problem with the way it heats the food and that process destroys nutrients and creates toxins/carcinogens. This is well-known and for a long time. I haven't used a microwave in over 7 years now because of this information, so that shows you how old this is. It was known way before that even since my ex-girlfriend's mom from awhile back told me in the first place. This article is no bull#. It only takes a couple minutes longer to heat up your food on the stove or in the oven. The food tastes a hell of a lot better anyway! Just another reason I hardly ever go out to eat because many restaurants, including high class places, use microwaves at least for one portion or ingredient of the meal. There's a microwave in every kitchen no matter how chic.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by here4awhile

This is old information and it is well known. There are a multitude of studies documenting this phenomena. The process is well understood as well. It sucks when you first read it for sure. Like I just said, I haven't used a microwave for over half a decade because I read a couple studies after being told this from my one of my ex's mom. She is/was a journalist that worked for a German consumer protection or I guess you would say advocacy group. I forget the name of the magazine at the moment. If you have children, it would be prudent to take the extra 5 minutes maximum to heat or cook your food on the stove, oven, or grill. I hate the way food tastes from the microwave anyway and I love to cook so it wasn't a problem for me to completely cut it out.

(I actually think this has been known since the 70's. It was one of the main complaints against microwaves. We all know who makes microwaves and it isn't some mom and pop company. GE is a big one and they are such an altruistic corporation...oh, wait nah they would do whatever they could using their giant media companies to make sure most people don't know this.)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by quedup

1. Heating prepared meats in a microwave sufficiently for human consumption created:
* d-Nitrosodiethanolamine (a well-known cancer-causing agent)
* Destabilization of active protein biomolecular compounds
* Creation of a binding effect to radioactivity in the atmosphere
* Creation of cancer-causing agents within protein-hydrosylate compounds in milk and cereal grains;
2. Microwave emissions also caused alteration in the catabolic (breakdown) behavior of glucoside - and galactoside - elements within frozen fruits when thawed in this way;
3. Microwaves altered catabolic behavior of plant-alkaloids when raw, cooked or frozen vegetables were exposed for even very short periods;
4. Cancer-causing free radicals were formed within certain trace-mineral molecular formations in plant substances, especially in raw root vegetables;
5. Ingestion of micro-waved foods caused a higher percentage of cancerous cells in blood;
6. Due to chemical alterations within food substances, malfunctions occurred in the lymphatic system, causing degeneration of the immune system=s capacity to protect itself against cancerous growth;
7. The unstable catabolism of micro-waved foods altered their elemental food substances, leading to disorders in the digestive system;
8. Those ingesting micro-waved foods showed a statistically higher incidence of stomach and intestinal cancers, plus a general degeneration of peripheral cellular tissues with a gradual breakdown of digestive and excretory system function;
9. Microwave exposure caused significant decreases in the nutritional value of all foods studied, particularly:
* A decrease in the bioavailability of B-complex vitamins, vitamin C, vitamin E, essential minerals and lipotrophics
* Destruction of the nutritional value of nucleoproteins in meats
* Lowering of the metabolic activity of alkaloids, glucosides, galactosides and nitrilosides (all basic plant substances in fruits and vegetables)
* Marked acceleration of structural disintegration in all foods.

s&f, Q!

awesome post/findings!

never thought of the stark denaturing effect of MicroWaves upon most foods.

i'm switching back to heating stuff up slowly in a simple toaster oven, and patiently waiting on it.

and thinking about looking into countertop "convection" oven or a combo convection/toaster. does anyone know about the safety of convection ovens.

and skeptics, keep in mind heating foods even on the stove to much can covert some of the foods' chemicals into toxic/carcinogenic compounds, as does grilling even before it turns 'black'.

and im going to think twice everytime i 'brown' my food - a bad habit cause burnt stuff taste better imo

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
We've been without a microwave oven for over a year and a half now.

Don't miss it a bit!

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
What radiation? Radiation has nothing to do with microwaves. They use radio waves to excite things in said food, and it makes heat, uneven heat, but still heat.

If you wanna put a blame on something then put it on radio stations, those dirty Bast#s! Putting out all those radiation filled waves! With their Radio towers and such.

Yea cooking your food with a microwave oven is not ideal, but blasting it with radio waves is not going to make everyone get cancer all of a sudden. If radio waves caused cancer, or any other disease. I can assure you there would be no radio stations within 50 miles of a population.
edit on 4/27/1212 by GR1ill3d because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Thanks for posting op. Mine is due soon,
Saved and subscribed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
I'm surprised no one brought up the BPA used in the making of baby bottles up until last year.
Line 2

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
what about plain ol' water.The formula my daughter used required zapping a measure of water for 35secs. then removing & adding 4 leveled scoops of the formula & shaking vigorously...(bottle not the baby .

Cheers
fotsy

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Doesn't really come as a surprise, but it's nice to be reminded that they are really not that good for heating up food. Like already said, it's not about radiation, but what the microwaves do to the structure of the cooked food.

One can only wonder if their invention serves as a double edged sword... depopulate / make people sick so they need more health care at the same time of earning money on the sales of the ovens themselves.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
Bull #.

A properly sealed microwave oven does not allow any harmful radiation out of it.

Food that has been cooked in a microwave oven does not carry any traits of the radiation over to the consumer. It may taste like # but it wont hurt you...
edit on 27-4-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

You are missing the point, it is not talking about radiation being bad for you. It talks about how a microwave heats food in a different way. This method destroys most of the nutrients in it and causing the formation of compounds which are toxic to the body.

Dont take my word for it go and read the peer reviewed scientific paper that was gagged..

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by fotsyfots

Still no good to just heat the water, I hav seen a study where 2 identicle plants were watered daily. 1 with regular tap water, the other with microwaved water that was allowed to cool. The 2nd plant didn't last more than a week if I recall correctly.
The way a microwave heats food has something to do with changing the structure of the water ions.

I try to use it as little as possible but sometimes it's just so damn convenient!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join