It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist, deharmonizing the harmony of the spheres

page: 25
<< 22  23  24   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

Let me ask you something.

You say you're atheist. That's all well and good...you don't need a god to live a good life.

However, you say you don't believe in god. How do you define god? By Christian standards? What if they have it all wrong?

The Christian god isn't the only version of god out there. Additionally, just because you don't understand god, doesn't make it not real.

Just consider it, if you would.

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
An atheists pleasure is to inflict pain on theist... be it mentally or physically.

Sickening. This is why I despise many Christians...they consider the lack of belief evil.

If I were to talk about purple and green elephants, there could be one hidden deep in Africa...but you wouldn't believe me, would you? Just because you didn't find purple and green foot prints the size of manhole covers in your living room...

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23

Originally posted by paradox

reply to post by Barcs

Agnostics don't necessarily have to believe that you can't ever know. There's always a chance that science will answer the question some day. Agnostics simply admit that they don't know the answer. It's pretty much the only logical position.

If I could give you applause, I would.

Well, you can't, so do you have anything useful to add to this thread?

Yes. Bugger off with your attitude.

Come back when you feel like asking civilized questions.

LOL that question was uncivilized?

Sorry, I would just like to stick to the topic here. Stars are for pats on the back, not comments.

Good on you for adding something above, though

posted on Apr, 25 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

I supported the user's contribution to the topic, which was a very accurate definition of agnostics.

Is there something wrong with this?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

there are people from all religions that are vicious (not just athiests), there are also people from all religions that just want a quiet life free to beleive what they want. you should probably judge individuals on there own actions and not group them together with idiots just because of their beleifs

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
I don't agree with that. I don't think agnostics are automatically atheists. Some agnostics, such as myself, are still open to the idea of God existing if personal experience were to confirm this. A part of me even believes God might exist, just not in the way organised religion has portrayed God. The key factor for an agnostic when it comes to the issue of God is doubt; they are divided on whether or not God exists.

Theists believe that God exists. Atheists do not believe God exists. Agnostics do not know whether God exists and are divided on the issue.

Yes, agnostics are open minded to the idea of god(s), but the truth is they do NOT currently believe in it and won't until evidence arises. Now, being unsure whether or not god exists, doesn't mean you automatically reject god completely, but since the mathematical default is non existence over existence, agnostics do not currently believe in god, which makes them technically atheists. Many people don't understand what the word atheist means, and I believe that is where you are getting confused. It doesn't mean that you absolutely reject all versions of god completely. It means that you reject any particular one of them. Everybody's technically an atheist unless they believe in every single version of god to ever exist. The problem with most fundamentalist Christians and Muslims is that they use the word in the sense that the person rejects THEIR version of god, while ignoring what they actually DO believe. I'm agnostic, but I don't currently believe in god, I'll believe it when I see it.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barcs

Agnostics don't give any credence to the god hypothesis.

I disagree. Their "I don't know" stance means they see it as a possibility for a creator, or that there is a possibility the bible is true. Believing that, also means believing that they think there is a possibility every other religion is true, which contradicts itself.

Atheists do not see this as a possibility at all.

Of course they see it as "possible", that doesn't give the bible or concept of god any reality in their eyes. The bible and worldwide religions have nothing to do with belief in god. Read my post above this for a good description of the terms. I'm agnostic but I think the ideas of Christianity, Islam, and plenty of others are absurd. I'm still agnostic to the concept of a universal creator. That doesn't mean I think Christianity might be real.

Atheist's know god can not be proven or dis-proven.

An honest legitimate atheist would not say 100% there is no god.

Therefore - - every honest legitimate atheist - - is also agnostic.

What each individual atheist believes is called: atheist philosophy.

If asked directly if god exists - - the answer could be from an individuals "atheist philosophy" - - "I personally do not believe a god exists - in any form. However - I can not say factually 100% - - because god can not be proven or dis-proven".

I see what you're saying but you don't have to follow an atheistic philosophy if you don't believe in god. Buddhism is a direct example of this. Are they following atheist philosophy or Buddhism? You can't really have a philosophy or belief system based on what you don't believe.
edit on 26-4-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

reply to post by Barcs

Agnostics are atheists

Wrong. Wrong, wrong, and wrong. I used to be agnostic...my response to "do you believe in God?" was "I don't care about God. Last I knew, he hadn't stepped into my life since the day I was born. And if he really cared, I wouldn't even be here. So honestly, I am my own God, and I make my own difference."

I see things a little differently now, but agnostics are NOT atheist. Atheists say, "He definitely doesn't exist."

Agnostics simply don't know. And yes, there IS a difference.

Again, please read my posts above this one. Sorry to make 3 in a row. Agnostics DO NOT currently believe in god. That makes them atheists by definition. Sure they could be convinced otherwise one day, but until they say "yes, I believe in god" they are atheists. It's really not that complicated of a concept. You don't have to reject god completely to be an atheist. You are going based on how society (aka mostly theists) define atheists, but if you read my posts above I explain clearly why that notion is wrong. Atheists don't say, "He definitely doesn't exist". They can reject any one of the numerous gods to qualify. Yes, there are some atheists that are absolutel in their lack of believe in god, but most of them COULD be convinced by hard evidence. That's why agnosticism and atheism are pretty much the same thing. Agnosticism IS honest atheism.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Agnostics don't give any credence to the god hypothesis.

I disagree. Their "I don't know" stance means they see it as a possibility for a creator, or that there is a possibility the bible is true. Believing that, also means believing that they think there is a possibility every other religion is true, which contradicts itself.

Atheists do not see this as a possibility at all.

Of course they see it as "possible", that doesn't give the bible or concept of god any reality in their eyes. The bible and worldwide religions have nothing to do with belief in god. Read my post above this for a good description of the terms. I'm agnostic but I think the ideas of Christianity, Islam, and plenty of others are absurd. I'm still agnostic to the concept of a universal creator. That doesn't mean I think Christianity might be real.

Atheist's know god can not be proven or dis-proven.

An honest legitimate atheist would not say 100% there is no god.

Therefore - - every honest legitimate atheist - - is also agnostic.

What each individual atheist believes is called: atheist philosophy.

If asked directly if god exists - - the answer could be from an individuals "atheist philosophy" - - "I personally do not believe a god exists - in any form. However - I can not say factually 100% - - because god can not be proven or dis-proven".

I see what you're saying but you don't have to follow an atheistic philosophy if you don't believe in god. Buddhism is a direct example of this. Are they following atheist philosophy or Buddhism? You can't really have a philosophy or belief system based on what you don't believe.

Read more carefully what I stated in above post.

Lots of people in the West misunderstand Buddhism, especially it's general lack of any divine figures. They don't realize that, for many, Buddhism is essentially an atheistic religion. People in the West are accustomed to religions all being theistic, so the idea of an atheistic religion is almost incomprehensible. atheism.about.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
so wot am i if i say that i dont think god exists but if he does exist hes a sadistic 'a' hole

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

That doesn't mean I think Christianity might be real.

And why not?
If "God" is possible, why not Christianity?

Because according to agnostics, anything must be possible.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

That doesn't mean I think Christianity might be real.

And why not?

You guys have to remember, the term "god" is completely open to interpretation.

Just because the Christians came up with their idea of "god" before you were born, doesn't mean you have to stick to it.

Take a leaf from their book and define it for yourself...just remember to keep an open mind, and resist the temptation to believe that your god is the only real one. We're all human...which means we're rarely ever completely right.

As long as you keep that in mind, you should do alright...in regards to religion, anyway.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Right, I understand that.
God is open to interpretation.

Which means agnostics should believe that any and every God is a possibility.
Which seems to contradict itself on a variety of levels.
edit on 4-26-12 by paradox because: typo

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
hang on, hang on. now im confused and have a serious question. i thought i was an athiest but if asked ''does god exists'' id say ''i see no evidance of god but if evidence was shown to me (credible evidence) then obviously id have to accept it'' does this make me an agnostic or an athiest, or have we not decided the difference yet?

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

And why not?

First, admitting something is possible, is not subscribing to the idea or giving it credence. Second, agnostics don't believe anything must be possible. They are agnostic to the idea of god, not what religion has to say about it. It doesn't have to be a particular version of god. I could list reasons why Christianity is the most unrealistic religion on planet earth until the cows come home, it still doesn't change the fact that I am agnostic to a universal creator. If you mention specific gods, like Jehovah, then I'd be an atheist, since I flat out reject the Christian concept of god. I believe god might exist, but if so, he's certainly not close to any religion's interpretation. That still makes me agnostic, but also atheist, since I reject certain deities. Like I mentioned above, it's really just confusion with terminology. Everybody's an atheist, it just depends which god you are talking about.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SisyphusRide
An atheists pleasure is to inflict pain on theist... be it mentally or physically.

How on earth would you know or even presume to know what all atheist pleasure in? Good grief, they don't care to inflict anything on you or any believer, they simply don't believe what you believe. I know more Christians who pleasure in inflicting pain both mentally and physically than someone who doesn't believe in god. Going by your logic we could say that all Christians only pleasure in demeaning, disrespecting and destroying anyone who doesn't believe what they believe. This of course is not true, most Christians are loving people who want to share. Most atheist are just normal, loving people who just don't believe in god, simple as that. Nothing sinister going on. Now if you want sinister move on to politicians!

posted on May, 4 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quibbler
reply to post by GuidedKill

Yeah, atheists never go door to door preaching their disbelief. But where you see them crop up is usually on any religious topic ever just to spout how much they don't believe and how wrong every theist is.

I was on a page earlier (on my phone so I don't have the link any longer) and it was Kid Cudis response to the kid who died from a heart condition, but before he died he made a YouTube video telling of his NDE. The top comment on the page was some atheist with an "I'm smarter than you" complex going on about how what the kid saw was nothing but serotonin and blah blah blah that it was nothing but a dream. It was just really rude and condescending.

The majority of times I see an atheist talk it's never from a stance of understanding or sympathy, it's always a firm stance that there's no other option. Now I know this isn't true for all atheists of course, it's just that's why people tend to have such a negative opinion of them. The stereotypical atheist is a butthole.

I'm not going to get into the hypocrisy and "believe or hell" attitudes of many theists.

I'd rather have someone on a forum telling me their beliefs instead of invading my home...

As an atheist, by common definition, I just sit and laugh at how stupid these wars are just because someone doesn't believe the same thing you do. In that case we should kill everyone who doesn't like what we wear... see how stupid that is...

Believe what you want... just don't shove it in my face every chance you get... and respect my beliefs...

Just more labels... Ugh...
edit on 4-5-2012 by SmArTbEaTz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 22  23  24   >>

join