Herbal Adaptogens, specifically Ginseng and Ganoderma (Reishi Mushroom)

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I've just been reading up on these two adaptogens and thought a few people here might like to read the studies (link below) done in Russia and Sweden on these herbs; very surprising. I will be looking for Siberian Ginseng today and start taking it to see if my fatigue lessens. As for the Ganoderma, my son just bought Organo coffee containing Ganoderma (but only a week's worth; it is so expensive), so I'll combine the two for a week to ascertain if there is any improvement.

Ginseng (spec. Siberian):

1. Protects against environmental pollutants and radiation

2. Normalizes body temperature, thus treating hypothermia

3. Regulates blood-sugar levels

4. Protects the liver and enhances its ability to break down and get rid of drugs in the body

5. Increases the body's ability to resist infection

6. Supports optimum adrenal function

Reishi Mushrooms:

Reishi mushrooms are one of the most revered of the adaptogens. There are stories of people in Japan traveling for hundreds of miles on foot to pick them in the hopes of curing their cancer or other incurable disease. The list of benefits observed in laboratory and clinic experiments reads like a panacea wish-list. Reishi has shown a wide range of adaptogenic properties, including blood sugar regulation, immune support, anti-cancer properties, ability to oxygenate the blood efficiently, speeded regeneration of the liver, a sedative and calming effect, free-radical protective effect, radiation protective effect, reduction in sensitivity to allergens, anti-hypertensive effect, and it lowers cholesterol.

bing.search.sympatico.ca...

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Nice find and it is always good to bring the light of natural heath to the public. Many people forget we managed before big pharm.

Always check with a health care provider when changing any health routine...herbal and CAM providers count.

Ginseng should only be taken medicinally for approximately 6 weeks at a time with a 3 week break or you risk adrenal fatigue or Ginseng Abuse Syndrome. Having small doses in your tea daily is ok once you get into the 100-200mg tid it becomes an herbal prescription.

It is also believed to increase male fertility so caution unless you are trying to have more.

Avoid ginseng if you have a estrogen-dependant condition such as breast cancer.

Do not take with: Anticoagulants, anticonvulsants, antidiabetics, immunosuppressants, insulin, MAOIs, other stimulants.

Ginseng can also decrease blood glucose levels in lab work so be sure to let your health care provider know you are supplementing with it.

I will check out the mushrooms see what else I can find the medicinal use is new to me.
edit on 21-4-2012 by UdderlyInsane because: forgot something

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Thank you so much for the Ginseng warning. I was going to experiment for a week only just to determine if there were immediate benefits as I know my body very well. If I did notice an improvement during that timeframe, I would have delved into more detailed research.

It is so nice and convenient to have such important information here on ATS.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I drink a cup of ganoderma every morning...I substitute it for coffee. I love it. It wakes me up
but I don't get that jittery feeling I get with caffeine, even if I drink a lot of it. I can also drink
it at night and it'll help me stay awake but won't keep me awake when it's time to go to sleep.

I'm aware of the health benefits and I know it's supposed to shrink tumors. I was recently
diagnosed with breast cancer and had a partial mastectomy (didn't know that about ginseng
either, I will stay away) a few weeks ago. The tumor was small (1cm) and almost no cancer
in my lymph nodes. I'd like to think the ganoderma was at least partially responsible for that.
No way to prove it though.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I'm glad to hear your on your way to recovery and I believe all the toxins in our bodies are the causes of many diseases.

I am having a cup of Ganoderma right now and have started taking the Siberian Ginseng as of yesterday, so today will start the one week experiment of the two herbal adaptogens together.

Surprisingly enough, my fatigue is gone...not faded...completely gone away. I have to attribute it to the Sibertian Gingseng as there is nothing else I am doing differently.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
They are both magic plants. They know how to react with our bodies in an intelligent way. Adaptogenics act differently to each and every one of us. Plants can communicate to us through their herbal properties.

posted on Apr, 22 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I am beginning to be a believer that these two specific plants are magic. However, I was informed that Ganoderma detoxifies the body, so some people may experience a 'flushing' period. This seems to deter people from continuing with it; but I'm told it will stop. I won't let that put me off. I want my energy levels to rise because there is so much to do in life and I want to feel energetic again.

new topics

top topics

join