It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physist Beats Traffic Ticket.....Using Science!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Dmitri Krioukov, a physicist at UC San Diego, who was fined $400 for running a stop sign. Unfortunately for the police officer who issued the citation, Krioukov had the perfect alibi: science! During his appeal, the physicist argued his case through a paper he published on the arXiv. His argument: the officer had fallen for a perceptual illusion. Krioukov was let off. (2:22 p.m.) via Discoblog

This is awesome. Kudos to you, Dr. Krioukov!

Here is a link to the paper he used for his defense: Paper

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Ok, I've just read the paper and its all very interesting, but I think the point the Judge would have been more interested in is the fact?? that the officer didnt actually see the car at the moment it would have been stopped.
If Krioukov's version of events is true and his car was obscured by another, that alone would have been enough.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Priceless, I'll remember this if I'm ever pulled over in those circumstances.
Very elegant proof of innocence. LOL

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I know this was already posted, but I didn't get to read it so I don't mind people posting more than once, because not all of us get to read EVERYTHING on ATS. So I hope the mods don't delete your thread-good luck. Not to mention the only time I use the search feature is when I post something.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by samlf3rd
I know this was already posted, but I didn't get to read it so I don't mind people posting more than once, because not all of us get to read EVERYTHING on ATS. So I hope the mods don't delete your thread-good luck. Not to mention the only time I use the search feature is when I post something.

Thanks

Dang it!

I searched for this. I honestly did.

Mods....do your thing. Sorry everyone!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The judge let him go rather than reveal that 99% of judges are clueless as to numbers and formulas and didn't want to admit it.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Did the driver drop to first gear? Did the driver come to a complete stop? Did they hold this stop for 1 second? So many ways to draw the line but most important, did the driver take the intersection safely? Could they see the approaches and respond in time?

I very well know car accidents can hurt and are best avoided, but the law can be a real ass at times, well done judge

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

$400!!!

That's the real crime here.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

This sounds like a load of utter bol**cks to me. Just a load of absolute bull used to confuse the poor old befuddled judge. This overblown, pompous professor just used a load of completely crap and nonsensical equations that don't mean anything.
Either he did stop or he didn't stop. Quite simple.

If a vehicle was obstructing the view of the officer then maybe the officer should have used discretion and given the driver a word of advice.

Just my humble little opinion, of course.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by type0civ

$400!!!

That's the real crime here.

No doubt!! I think I would rather get mugged then run a stop sign.

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
hehe so through all that mathematical fluff what the long winded professor is trying to say is you didnt see me stop because there was a car inbetween us? So what happens when this professor farts or spills some milk? id really like to see the papers he would write explaining what happened on those subjects lol!

posted on Apr, 21 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   
the professor was right in calling the lacksidasial Officer on his 'Assumption'

i myself was stopped for speeding... but my Spitfire could not get any faster than 40 MPH because of a faulty carburator...
but the officer...intent on pinching me... dropped the speeding ticket and instead cited me for not having my Drivers License in my possession...

I told the jerks my license ID was #4679309...and it checked out on the computer as being real/active/legal = in my real name....(this was immediately before the Lightning Storm took down the computer connection/servers)...
or else i would have been 5-24 hours in the lock-up !

but the jerks still fined me $40. for not having it (license) in my possession---but let me drive home after i paid the A-Holes in Surfside Beach their blood-money !

get 'em physics professor !!... i am sure that 99% of all the communities across America have at least 1/4 of their 'civil servants'/police/magistrates on a self ordained mission ! these stumble-bums will accuse whomever for whatever AND make you pay mega bucks to clear your record/name from their BS= !
edit on 21-4-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

top topics

join