It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "Anti-American" and moderating Situation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Dear ATS

Recently, we were all told that all forms of attacks would be dealt with accordingly. Racism, personal attacks, etc.

Yes, the moderators have done an excellent job when it comes to those spheres of attacks. However, i have seen rare, if not, no action taken against the Americans on this site who attack and ridicule someone for being "Anti-American," just because they have opposing views. Now, the amount of attacks upon myself and other non Americans on this site is just phenomenal. It is now the trump card which most of the Americans on this site use when they can't deal with the information being presented, and have to attack someone. Why is there hardly any action taken against the posters who accuse me, other members of being Anti-American??? I seriously would like to know.

Is there an agenda playing out here? Where everyone, but the "You are anti-American" posters get nailed for Racial abuse, or personal attacks etc.

[NOTE: This is in no way an attack on mods or other members of ATS, regardless of what some may think]

Thanks ATS, and hopefully, this thread will not get 404'd

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
they are just copying what the politicians are saying...

go back the last three years and see how many times the liberals use "anti-american" when they dont get their way

it will shock you!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Almost every post I have seen of yours contains "anti- American" rhetoric, usually dripping with venomous phrases. Why do you find it surprising that you are in return attacked for your drivel?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Ahh, here we go. look, i have no desire to delve into an argument with you on this thread i created, referring to a huge detriment to ATS. I am, for the most part, civil. I do not, in any way like to bring up "venomous" points. I only state the truth in most cases, which Americans reply back with teh Anti-American garbage, which is getting tiring.

As i have stated, it is not only me getting attacked. It is all sorts of people.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

But in this case, I think miley has a valid point. This makes the second thread you've created on this very topic. And you had some excellent responses in the previous thread.

What you call "most", is a small handful of people on this site that should be reported when they get out of line. We have excellent members here from all over the world.

I'm getting weary of being lumped in with that small handful every time you get your feelings hurt by them. You seem like a decent person, but you need to quit wearing your heart out on your sleeve, and realize there are always going to be haters in this world waiting to ruin your day.

edit on 4/18/2012 by Klassified because: edit

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified

But in this case, I think miley has a valid point. This makes the second thread you've created on this very topic. And you had some excellent responses in the previous thread.

What you call "most", is a small handful of people on this site that should be reported when they get out of line. We have excellent members here from all over the world.

And I'm getting weary of being lumped in with that small handful every time you get your feelings hurt by them. You seem like a decent person, but you need to quit wearing your heart out on your sleeve, and realize there are always going to be haters in this world waiting to ruin your day.

Okay. My last thread was about the lack of respect from Americans to Australia.

This thread is about the growing "Anti-American" situation, which most members partake off.

I am not disputing the fact that there are excellent members on ATS, just that alot of them are involved in this Anti-American stuff, which is true. Any thread ridiculing American ideologies and beliefs, you are bound to find a bunch of people attacking others because they are "Anti-American."

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think we need a clear definition of what anti American means. Is it any protest agaistn the actions of government/military or is it anti American citizen?

IRM

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Okay, whenever a non-American posts something challenging the undisputed beliefs of America and it's culture, immediately, the term "Anti-American" gets thrown around. It is generally used to attack non American members who are critquing and criticising America and it's government/ideologies/beliefs.
edit on 18-4-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

OK.. so this 'Anti-American' term is being bandied around in the same fashion that Israel uses 'Anti-Semite' when they are being criticised... thus making them beyond reproach?

I wouldn't lose sleep over it man. It's a pretty weak argument/defence on behalf of those who use it. Nothing is beyond scrutiny or reproach. These types of people walk around with rose coloured glasses on. They're the types that have historically enable tyranny.

IRM

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Its simple, If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

A quick review of your current posting history shows much of your commentary is inflammatory and reads as clearly intended to provoke a reaction specifically from the U.S. ATS membership.

You are posting on an American owned, American based message board whose majority membership are American, many other forums would see you banned for trolling.

A cursory glance gave these gems, I am more than sure there are many others...

Originally posted by daaskapital

And no, i am not smearing anything American. Just telling you the truth that you find so hard to believe due to the propaganda which you have been subjected to, and in return now believe.

the USA has a demanding and God like ideology where they think they are better than everyone else, and feel as if they need bases in every reach of the globe.

Now they just do it to Middle Easterners...

If you cant take it don't dish it.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

edit on 18-4-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
All such cases are handled on an individual basis. Also, how do you know there wasn't action taken against someone? There's no function for you to see that what action a mod may have taken, etc. I'd wager most of these attacks were actually actioned by a mod. Especially if a complaint was lodged using the complaint feature. Don't assume nothing was done because you don't see a visible result.

We don't ban folks for such slips, unless they become a pattern of behavior. So, if you see this, let us know. Contrary to popular opinion, we're not omniscient, and only a few of us (I think) are aliens...so help us help you!

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thank you for the reply

Yes, i am unaware of any actions taken by mods, and i shouldn't assume otherwise.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot
Its simple, If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

A quick review of your current posting history shows much of your commentary is inflammatory and reads as clearly intended to provoke a reaction specifically from the U.S. ATS membership.

You are posting on an American owned, American based message board whose majority membership are American, many other forums would see you banned for trolling.

A cursory glance gave these gems, I am more than sure there are many others...

And no, i am not smearing anything American. Just telling you the truth that you find so hard to believe due to the propaganda which you have been subjected to, and in return now believe.

the USA has a demanding and God like ideology where they think they are better than everyone else, and feel as if they need bases in every reach of the globe.

Now they just do it to Middle Easterners...

If you cant take it don't dish it.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

edit on 18-4-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

Thank you for the reply

The first quote of mine was directed at a certain individual, who may have been an American - yes, but it was not Anti-American at all.

The second quote of mine can be considered truthful. The USA feels they need bases all over the globe. Furhtermore, the "God Like ideology" can be seen many times throughout history, not only by the USA, but mostly by the USA.

The third quote of mine is backed up by enough evidence ranging from teh past 12 years.

Maybe you should have quoted the quote i replied to also, just to give of a sense of fairness, instead of leaving a viewer confused as to what i was really talking about.
edit on 18-4-2012 by daaskapital because: eta

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Salutations Daaskapital,

I agree that the above quotations I cited were lacking in context. I chose to not repost any of the various exchanges in their entirety to avoid flooding your thread with a lot of redundant bulk that, in my own opinion, few readers would take the time to read.

I sincerely apologise for giving the impression that I had selectively edited your commentary to disingenuously skew reader perception either way. My sole intention was to provide an example of the commentary that other members may have had taken exception to.

I would point out that many ATS readers only skim other members contributions and tend to fixate on the more sensational rhetoric without making the effort to digest the substance of the content.

A great example ATS Member Jean Paul Zodeaux's recent thread titled Time to Take Motor Vehicles Away From the American Public!,. It was a wickedly satirical allegory regarding the latest challenge of the gun control lobby to the second amendment of the U.S. constitution (the right to bear firearms) .

Jean Paul Zodeaux's implication by calling to attention the fact that firearms are our third leading cause of injury-related deaths after poisoning and motor vehicle accidents being that while firearms opponents claim increased regulation is necessary as a matter of public safety, the statistically more deadly car in their driveway and the bleach under their sink are not given a second thought.

The irony of course is that gun rights in the U.S. are protected by the Bill of Rights, which include unalienable principals such as freedom of speech and due process while neither the statically proven greater fatal hazards of poison or auto-mobiles are.

90% of the responses had something to do with cars. Most readers didn't take the time to read or understand the point, they saw a sensational statement and filled in the blanks for themselves.

The moral? Sharing ideas in a message board format is a new social phenomena and seems to have a few cognitive peculiarities unique to this format. Controversy is the lifeblood of progressive discussion, if we all saw the world the same unanimously agreed the conversation would dull quickly. The trick is to challenge other members just enough to excite them into offering a counterpoint without baiting them to respond by insult.

There is a fine line between the two.

If your motivation is honestly to engage in civil discourse but general feedback seems disproportionately hostile, or resentful, tone it back a bit. It is a safe bet that you have pushed peoples buttons past their comfort level

With that aside, I would like to make an observation that has been on my mind for some while.

In my own experience many of our beliefs, values and nuances are familiar. Among the modern Anglo cultures , Australian and American cultures seem to be the most similar ( odd I know, considering the U.S. and Canada share a 3000 mile border).

I don't know your level of exposure to the U.S. but you might be surprised to find out how similar our nations actually are.

My two cents...

top topics

join