It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post limiting and quality control

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I've noticed a seeming degradation in the quality of many ATS threads from the long time I spent as a non-member until now as a (new) member.

While limiting new members to 20 posts before having the ability to create a new thread outside of the Introductions forum is good, I personally feel this limitation is a little weak.

I propose (some of these will effect me too, so, I'm not proposing anything I'd be exempt from)

1. Upping the 20 post limit to 50, 100, or even 150 before being allowed to post a new thread. This, I think would encourage a greater degree of board participation as well as precipitate a higher learning curve for standards of conduct, and what's expected in quality posting.

2. Limiting new thread posts by newer, freshman members under 500-1000 posts to one thread a day.

3. Staged access to new thread posting where initially new thread posts by newer freshmen, unseasoned members are restricted to the Freshman forum, member art, general chit chat, rant, and other areas where quality of posts isn't necessarily of highest priority.

4. Exceptions: Should a new, less seasoned member have valid, well researched, legitimate information that's well documented, sourced and linked, regardless their post count, with Admin or moderator approval said topic can be posted and/or moved to appropriate forum.

These, I think would reengage a higher quality level of posting as opposed to the frequent duplicates, 2 or 3 sentence poll question speculations where "I had this Idea ...", or "I was just thinking ...", and any of the other assorted Facebook style posts that seem to be a more frequent occurrence, especially among less seasoned members.
These also, I think, would assist in giving the moderators an easier time in freeing up time from having to monitor for duplicate posts and other trivia typically engaged in by newer members.

5. Sources, and links: require in some threads similar to breaking news, links to sources, ex-text, summary, etc, at least with less seasoned members under 500-1000 posts as a means to train and enable them into enacting better habits of research, documentation, and sourcing.

All this could be retro-active, effecting everyone, or enacted to just effect new members from date of green light. I'm more in favor of retroactive action from the standpoint that post quality could see an immediate effect.

In criticism of myself and this proposal, yes, this post doesn't have any ex-text, link to sources, or documentation to support the observation that I feel post quality needs improvement, nor any data suggesting or supporting any of the proposed items would actually work.

It is, in fact one of those "I was just thinking ..." type posts that I myself have criticized, however, the suggestions I've outlined would effect me were they implemented.

Thanks.

edit on 17-4-2012 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Do you have any idea how much coding it would take to implement all that? I think we are doing just fine here, most threads here start with better sourcing than most "MSM" news articles

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

A persons post or thread is a reflection of the individual.

20, 100, 1000, 10000 posts won't make any difference.

You'll still get quality posts/threads from quality people

And get comedic dreck from er. . . folks like me.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla
1. Upping the 20 post limit to 50, 100, or even 150 before being allowed to post a new thread. 2. Limiting new thread posts by newer, freshman members under 500-1000 posts to one thread a day.

I see where you are coming with this...however, I have a feeling that people will then start to spam their way though the required 50,100, or 150 in order to post a new thread.

5...at least with less seasoned members under 500-1000 posts as a means to train and enable them into enacting better habits of research, documentation, and sourcing.

I've been here since 2008, and have just recently broke 700 posts...and I am here quite often, reading rather than posting. I don't believe post count = propensity to add quality. In fact, good ideas may be,arguments, etc...might be left out because of this rule.

Good to see you care though.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I see where you are coming from, but let me give you the example I've noticed.

UserA signs up and wants to talk about subjectB, so, because they can't post a thread until they get 20 posts, they post their thread in the introduction forum, which of course gets a mods attention then gets locked down.

Then the user, still needing 20 posts, randomly opens every thread on the main page and posts something along the lines of:

"I agree, you roxors
"
"Second line"

do you really want to up that limit? I don't, 20 useless posts is enough for me.

I think there should be more of a control after the fact, more repercussions for posting crap or breaking the T&C.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
you wouldnt happen to be talking about me would you? lol

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

I wasn't when i posted this because your recent troll thread had not happened yet, but, your recent troll thread does indeed serve as a good example.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I think it's best to leave the decisions about post or thread quality to the owners and moderators. Especially, when dealing with many of the subjects found here at ATS.

We all have often differing views, and to disagree with a topic or post does not mean that it lacks in quality.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Sure, and we have this forum under Board Business & Questions where such things as Board Business & Questions can be discussed, and even heard by the owners and administrators where they are entirely entitled to do with it what they will.

I make suggestion, and we can discuss it. If said suggestion(s) make it up the ladder, or not, well, there you go.

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
you wouldnt happen to be talking about me would you? lol

Yanno, it's funny you should mention it but...erm.....I just checked out your avatar graphic....

edit on 17/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
1. Like the ideas posted forward. I am 50/50 as I realize I agree with every post and reply in here.

2. what in the name of god is that animal in that picture?! It scares me. That aint no buffalo, is it?

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
But if it was 150, it would mean that you wouldn't have been able to post this informative, well thought out quality thread since you're not there yet...

Peace

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

In criticism of myself and this proposal, yes, this post doesn't have any ex-text, link to sources, or documentation to support the observation that I feel post quality needs improvement, nor any data suggesting or supporting any of the proposed items would actually work.

Relax...this is a subjective topic, no need to provide quantitative data.

I appreciate where you are going with this, but what of the new poster that does indeed have material, evidence, ect., that would set our heads spinning..?

20 is a nice medium, yet keep in mind creating threads and bringing forward quality content is a learning experience for most members, so let 'em start early...

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by facelift

I think that's covered in #4
4. Exceptions: Should a new, less seasoned member have valid, well researched, legitimate information that's well documented, sourced and linked, regardless their post count, with Admin or moderator approval said topic can be posted and/or moved to appropriate forum.

There's also play pen forums like rant, freshman, member art, general chit chat, and others similar that I would suggest leaving open to free posting as 'quality' in those forums (as well as others I've not mentioned) is more personally subjective.

For every group there's a sampling of data points outside and to either side of the bell curve. There are always exceptions and I don't think I'm proposing anything that would hamper such, and I'm pretty sure the infrastructure server side on user account control is already in place such that many of these props are already tick boxes, slider bars, or value boxes.

As far as numbers go, I may be suggesting on setting the bar too high, but, hey, that's what discussion is for!

The whole shebang doesn't have to be enacted. Admins could take only one piece they liked best, or, several. It's up to debate.
If anyone else has any other suggestions for improvement those are welcome as well.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If its not broke don't fix it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

reply to post by stealthmonkey

I wasn't when i posted this because your recent troll thread had not happened yet, but, your recent troll thread does indeed serve as a good example.

What about your own troll posting? You trolled right thru one of my threads, stating things that were never even said and your rude comments. I highly doubt you've been on here long before creating an account as you stated, with over 330 post in just a couple of weeks makes me think there's no way that you could've been a quite bystander on this site for very long. You've done your share of trolling.

edit on 29-4-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2012 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

If you are referring to this response: www.abovetopsecret.com...

As said before, grow a thicker skin. I wasn't 'trolling'.
I was simply stating that the way you went about your claim was overly conspicuous.
How long ago was that anyway?
and you're still butt hurt?

Please, with all due respect, get over it.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   

i would say 100 sounds good.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   

My skins plenty thick and you don't even know me to be making the smartass comments you have. You're a troll go away.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mtnshredder

My skins plenty thick and you don't even know me to be making the smartass comments you have. You're a troll go away.

Do you even realize what you sound like there?
Evidence that I am NOT a troll - Moderators have not squashed me, or my post responses other than on 2 occasions. If i was trolling, you could be certain I'd have had thread deleted, and many many more post responses deleted by mods, plus probably even be post-banned.

As far as knowing you, I know you through the kinds of comments you make because your simple statements, and go-away-leave-me-alone-or-i'm-going-to-tell-my-mommy attitude bespeaks of a rather limited psycho-socio-development.
I might not be able to see you in a pitch black room, but, if you stink, I'll certainly know that you do indeed need to take a bath. Similar concepts apply when evaluating and profiling the personality of someone through the words they write.

I've given you all due respect in each of my posts, yet, you continue to act like a butt-hurt little child.

I'm sorry if your feelings are so easily hurt, so, I suggest not discussing anything with anyone if your feelings are indeed so fragile. For instance, if you think I'm going to hurt your feelings, don't put replies in threads I've authored, because I will reply to you. If you think I'm going to hurt your fragile little feelings, don't make comments, to, or about me.

If, however, you want to poke at me, please expect to be poked at right back.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join