It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you remember when you were a RESPONSIBLE person?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'll start this with 2 examples and invite your additions.

I remember when I could buy a firearm and ammo without a FOID card. Now if they can not charge you to exercise a right why aren't FOIDs free. They are, in every aspect but name, a license, which license allows you to do something which you have no right to do.Bull#!

I can remember speed limits of R&P, meaning reasonable and prudent or proper. You were expected to know your capability and that of your vehicle. I last experienced R&P in Iowa in 1963 on newly constructed I-80. For my 1963 327ci Impala hardtop that was 120 mph (tire life!) Think about it, no airbags, no seat belts, no disc brakes, no radial tires. Now the state gets to tell me what is R&P!
edit on 16-4-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
The last time I was considered a responsible person was back in high school. I was actually trusted to abide by a reasonable set of rules called the dress code instead of having what I would wear dictated to me. I was actually trusted to know if I wanted to buy a soda or something healthier like water and fruit juice.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I guess I'm a little too young to have ever been considered a "responsible" person.

You must have had it pretty nice back then, ya know, minus the whole draft thing.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

Wait a minute? You go down the interstate with other vehicles on the road doing 120 mph and you call yourself a responsible person?

Really?

Seems reckless and outright stupid to me, what would you do if you came up suddenly around a bend doing 120mph and there was an accident in the road blocking it off? Or a deer jumps out into the road right in front of you?

Hope you have some bitchin brakes.

responsible person indeed!

edit on 16-4-2012 by HauntWok because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by HauntWok

One, there were no 'bends' on the interstate.

Two, everyone drove 'fast', 80+ mph, only did 120 in light or no traffic.No weaving in and out of traffic. Off ramps can be a problem. Got to shut down way early. Never once a scary moment.

Three I have driven 150 mph many times in the UK, Germany, Austria and that was not in the fast lane. Unlike here you don't get your drivers test in a shopping center parking lot.

edit on 16-4-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

ahh the good old days....

we did have dress codes, but not uniforms - I could wear jeans and half tops, but I had to leave the fishnet shirts for the evenings and weekends
I was also once asked not to wear a specific denim jacket to school anymore because it was beat up and written all over - I pointed out that the signatures was the point - I wanted my friends to sign it and now, 20 years later, I'm so glad I did - that thing brings back some awesome memories, and I finished out the year wearing it anyway

Thats back when it was all starting though.. kids were getting mugged for their sneakers... twisted...

we can easily blame the changes taking place now, on the people who did that sort of thing

though as a parent i will say, it was much easier getting my kids ready for school in the morning when they had to wear uniforms, but if they didn't have a uniform code, I still would've taken responsibility for what they wore - I don't care who else thinks something is appropriate or not - it would've been their choice and my approval (or disapproval)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by oghamxx

I mean honestly, I wish they would take out the speed limit signs along I 80 through Kansas and replace them with "go faster mother%$#%er!" That stretch of road is boring.

But most of the time when they say "reasonable and prudent" They aren't meaning "HIT IT!"

top topics

join