It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney to welfare mothers: ‘You need to go to work’ !!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Romney to welfare mothers: ‘You need to go to work’
By David Edwards
Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:58 EDT -- The Raw Story

Romney said it ... yes he did !! Last January in New Hampshire.

People on welfare assistance need to have the responsibility to work !!
(he said words to that effect)

And he has a plan to go with it.

He would pay to provide daycare for the welfare kids as well !!

The article has the video.

“I wanted to increase the work requirement,” Romney told an audience in New Hampshire in January. “I said, for instance, that even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work.”

“And people said, ‘Well that’s heartless.’ And I said, ‘No, no, I’m willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It’ll cost the state more providing that day care, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.’”

Republicans have spent the last week attacking President Barack Obama after a Democratic CNN contributor said that Ann Romney, who is the mother of five, had “never worked,” but it turns out that presumptive GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney has also said mothers on welfare “need to go to work.”

I would imagine exceptions would exist for medical reasons and handicaps

Put 'em to work ?

But what IF they say no !!

and want to be "stay at home parents"

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Yeah, nothing like seperating mother from child, how they love to do that.

+36 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Stay home with your child, that's fine. Just say NO to stealing from the taxpayers.

+33 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

and want to be "stay at home parents"

Nothing wrong with that at all..however, I should not have to pay their bills...I've got my own family to take care of.
edit on 15-4-2012 by type0civ because: (no reason given)

+11 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by TheMindWar
Stay home with your child, that's fine. Just say NO to stealing from the taxpayers.

Exactly my point too. Stay at home if you want, but stop buying all those fancy toys and televisions and cellular phones so you can afford to feed your child instead of asking the hard working Americans to do it while you hang out and do drugs on the taxpayer dime.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

Im a stay at home dad!! I dont get any assistance. I have always said welfare people need to contribute. How about working for the state cleaning roads 3 days a week etc.... Maybe then they would actually go out and look hard for a job.

+44 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
So why didn't his wife go back to work? Oh wait, she had no work to go back to

Hypocrisy

But I guess when your husband runs a financial institution that's ok. He destroyed jobs that those welfare moms could have gotten, for his short term profit. But ya know, nothing is worse than a welfare mom, right?

edit on 15-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

+32 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was under the impression US had no jobs?...

Fix that problem first.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
So why didn't his wife go back to work?

Hypocrisy

She wasn't getting welfare.

Unless it was all the tax breaks for the rich.

But then again, Romney makes $40,000 a day.

And pays $8,000 a day in taxes.
(maybe not enough ?)

ETA: comment prior to RealSpoke edit.
no change.

edit on Apr-15-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:43 PM
link   

So why didn't his wife go back to work? Oh wait, she had no work to go back to

Hypocrisy

But I guess when your husband runs a financial institution that's ok. He destroyed jobs that those welfare moms could have gotten. But ya know, nothing is worse than a welfare mom, right?

He says he wants to give them dignity.

What's wrong with that ?

I can see it now, the signs say "I'm a welfare mom that works !".

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

You can still get welfare even if you do work. Welfare goes by how much money your household takes in. If you work at walmart and not married, you're more than likely going to qualify for it. A good paying job is quite rare these days, not to mention most "welfare moms" are young.

A lot of welfare moms DO have a job........

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

PROVE IT.

That is all.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Then they need to stop feeding at the taxpayer's trough. We need our money for our bills.

+19 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Considering there are no actual jobs for these people to do, how about you chip, give up your job so one of them can do it instead? No? I thought not.

People you need to realise that welfare is just a tiny proportion of government expense, you want lower taxes? Stop attacking other countries, stop giving mega welfare payouts to mega corporation in the form of tax breaks and bailouts, and most importantly kill the FED and Wall St. Problems are not cause at the bottom of society, they are caused at the top

+12 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
He's a moron!!

Day care would not cost the state more than paying for the other benefits. What it would do is dump hundreds of thousands of people into the workplace...a workplace that is already suffering from high unemployment rates as it is. What jobs does he expect them to do? A lot of those welfare mothers have very little education, and jobs aren't exactly easy to come by at the moment. They would likely end up as WORKING POORS.

End result?

- Kids see their moms less
- Daycare providers make a fortune (somebody check his donors list...but of course we can't track SuperPACs)
- States save a bit most likely
- Welfare recipients turn into working poors

Overall, doesn't sound like it's worth it.

The real reason is that he hopes to further cut benefits while selling it to the people as a "benefit"...just so he can continue to pay for those tax breaks for the top 1% and his corporate donors. After all, corporate welfare isn't socialsim, right?

And you know what the largest irony is? He says he wants to do all that to give those mothers the "dignity of a job". ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? After all the "Democrats wage a war on moms" crap, he wants to give those very moms a job because of dignity??? OMFG the GOP has really lost it, no direction, no ethics, no "for the people", just a ton of childish political games

edit on 15-4-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

PROVE IT.

That is all.

Educate yourself.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I have worked for the welfare office and lot of recipients do work. They still don't make enough to get by and need assistance.

I saw one poor soul who worked two full time jobs and one part time and still qualified for food stamps.

But that little tidbit won't compute in your hate the poor mantra.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

If they have paid into the system then they are entitled to take form the pool. Stop calling it stealing, because it isn't. People on welfare aren't stealing anything from you. It's a government program that anyone who has ever worked has paid into.

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

And he is singling out welfare moms as opposed to welfare dads?

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Wal mart deliberately pays workers less so they qualify for state benefits, and don't have to provide any themselves.
My state actually tried to pass a law that if a corporation doesn't pay enough and their employees have to get state assistance, the corporation has to pay a lot of money to reimburse the state. There was only one company that fit this profile...wal mart.

Of course, the courts shot it down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join