It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a proven correlation between the amount of emoticons and busy avatars to entirely bogus pos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrokenCircles

[ESC] = They all stop. No more moving. No more distractions.

Oooh! Neat! Thanks for that tip.

Ahhh, I feel better already.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by stanguilles7

As you can see from my avatar area (unlike your good self) you have the pleasure of addressing an Englishman in Old Amsterdam.

Actually, i have opted out of seeing people's avatars, because i think they are moronic, juvenile accoutrements that have no bearing on factual discourse, and remind me of something teenage girls do.

What a good idea opting out of Avatars - Pity we can't opt out of user names also some of them are moronic.
Posts should be totally anon so no one knows who is saying what to who
What dya think

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

As you can see from my avatar area (unlike your good self) you have the pleasure of addressing an Englishman in Old Amsterdam.

Actually, i have opted out of seeing people's avatars, because i think they are moronic, juvenile accoutrements that have no bearing on factual discourse, and remind me of something teenage girls do.

What a good idea opting out of Avatars - Pity we can't opt out of user names also some of them are moronic.
Posts should be totally anon so no one knows who is saying what to who
What dya think

Well, I opt out of avatars because they annoy me. I tend to read posts and look at the info I present. I suspect those who prefer their avatars are more interested in using ATS as a social network than one of fact-finding.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

I do not mind Avatars because it helps me identify posters more easily
Also it allows for artistic expression but I do get why you don't use them also

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
No
/ I am Humorless today

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

In my avatar area (a text field) is: An Englishman in the Netherlands.

Simply put, where I live and where I come from

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
No
/ I am Humorless today

Sounds to me like you need a Woody Harrelson movie (no, it's not an innuendo!) to make you shake off the shackles of seriousness. Have you seen Zombieland?

edit on 16/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rigel4
No
/ I am Humorless today

Sounds to me like you need a Woody Harrelson movie (no, it's not an innuendo!) to make you shake off the shackles of seriousness. Have you seen Zombieland?

edit on 16/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

No.. havn't seen that one , i'll have a look for it
on 1channell.

In the middle of an upgrade right now though.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

You will wet yourself laughing. It's all I can say.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

AH ha it is there.......... great I'm watching it tomorrow night .

Cheers

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Im so glad this thread could bring you two together.
: lol:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You may be on to something here, though it would be terribly difficult to prove. Isolating the variables alone would be mind-boggling. But if you take it on faith that an excessive use of emoticons and cutesy avatars shows an excessive amount ot energy trying to get attention for yourself, then you have the basis for diagnosing someone like that with narcissism and excessive emotion. It's a form of jumping up and down and shouting. They are in effect saying, "Look at me. I'm so funny!" (or angry, as the case may be.) If you must point out that you are "funny," you probably are not. (Should not humor stand on its own merits?) Therefore your posts are more likely to be bogus, uninteresting, unenlightening, and not funny.

So, yeah, OP. You are probably right in a common sense sort of way, but the statistical equations to prove the point seem to be eluding me today.
edit on 4/16/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Im so glad this thread could bring you two together.
: lol:

I'm so glad................. that you're so glad.

You'll make an excellent drone!!

We are Rigel4

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
You may be on to something here, though it would be terribly difficult to prove. Isolating the variables alone would be mind-boggling. But if you take it on faith that an excessive use of emoticons and cutesy avatars shows an excessive amount ot energy trying to get attention for yourself, then you have the basis for diagnosing someone like that with narcissism and excessive emotion. It's a form of jumping up and down and shouting. They are in effect saying, "Look at me. I'm so funny!" (or angry, as the case may be.) If you must point out that you are "funny," you probably are not. (Should not humor stand on its own merits?) Therefore your posts are more likely to be bogus, uninteresting, unenlightening, and not funny.

So, yeah, OP. You are probably right in a common sense sort of way, but the statiscal equations to prove the point seem to be eluding me today.

Well, if I were not a lazy man, and had more time on my hands, I would imagine one could collate all the emoticon heavy posts and then see which percentage of them contain facts, vs unsubstantiated opinions. But then I suppose one would have to do the same with other posts, so as to establish some form of a Control.

Im just spit-balling here. Perhaps ATS can give us a grant fr our research.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join