It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a proven correlation between the amount of emoticons and busy avatars to entirely bogus pos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Is there a proven correlation between the amount of emoticons and busy avatars to entirely bogus posts? I sure seems like there are, but I haven't done any kind of formal study.

Has anyone else?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
Is there a proven correlation between the amount of emoticons and busy avatars to entirely bogus posts? I sure seems like there are, but I haven't done any kind of formal study.

Has anyone else?

"a proven correlation"

I don't think anyone has had the time to look at proving the "correlation" between BS and funny little animated dudes.

IMO...

Peace

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Well, I've done an informal straw pol, and I've noticed the more emoticons the less useful factual and informative the post.

Dancing avatars are also a good indicator of shenanigans.

Mind you, this is all informal observation.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Well, I've done an informal straw pol, and I've noticed the more emoticons the less useful factual and informative the post.

Hmm, and now it's time for the full-blown social experiment? I smell shenanigans at my first and most casual observation of your premise

ETA Or are you asking us to flag and star the **** outta your thread to prove your point? I'm sorry, it's a little late for me to reply to ambiguous posts.

edit on 11/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

edit on 11/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
I smell shenanigans at my first and most casual observation of your premise

You do? But I didn't put any emoticons and I don't have any dancing nymphs for an avatar.

Do you live in Europe? It could be a metric conversion thing.
edit on 11-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

ETA Or are you asking us to flag and star the **** outta your thread to prove your point?

Hmmmm... I'm getting kind of a logic fail on that statement. Are flags and stars emoticons now?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

Yes there is.
It has been proven by several internet experts that posters avatars in No way reflect the business of their posts.
Obviously everyone knows that the more emoticons one inserts, the more the reader empathises with the emotions thrust into their eyeline. semicolon right parenthesis.

Bogus posts are flooded with conflicting emoticons. even happy ones
By their deeds ye shall know them.....

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Edited to Add, I don't think you people have a sense of humor.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

That is an odd way of looking at things. I suppose the Emoticons bring a valid point and I'm one of the offenders for over-use there. I admit it. (puts paw out for a slap). I don't see much correlation between using or over-using them as a habit and quality of content to the post though. I see plenty of junk with no Smiley at all, for instance.

I definitely disagree on the Avatars. There are a few with NO avatar that I enjoy reading the posts of..but only a couple in how many thousands of members among the currently active? The ones who take the time to animate theirs seem to be the ones who tend to take more time in posting their thoughts too. Not Always, of course but enough.

My first example..and it's just what came to mind first..is the Hitler on the Banjo Avatar one member has. The fact I can't even recall the name shows how visually based I am and how valuable the Avatars are. Anyway...I always stop the scroll and read when I catch that one in the blur as I run down a long thread. That is probably one of a dozen or more that stop my scroll in mid turn to read what they said.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

As you can see from my avatar area (unlike your good self) you have the pleasure of addressing an Englishman in Old Amsterdam. As an Englishman I am only too well acquainted with the Imperial measurement system and since moving to Holland am well versed in the art of translation between the 2. In Holland there are 5 ounces to a pound. Fact.

Edited to Add, I don't think you people have a sense of humor.

Maybe you should look harder? No offence meant but humour is definitely present, attached and accounted for.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I believe you have a provocative inquiry there.

I assure you that I'm just a regular working class stiff, with little more than a forum in which to express my angst.

There are exceptions to every stereotype. Just so ya know.

I have to say, maybe there should be a study.

I can tell you that I created my avatar out of my love for Dr. Forrester and the benign, misguided evil that he represents. The real evil that controls this planet could learn something from him and lighten the hell up.
I regret it at times, due to the very phenomenon to which you have alluded. But in the end, to hell with them, I did it for me.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Bobaganoosh because: just cause

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Dancing avatars are also a good indicator of shenanigans.

I'm surprised you don't have a dancing, spinning and flipping avatar with every color as your avatar...it would only make sense if your observation were true. Haha only kidding, any chance you visit GLP? They post annoying emotes on substandard posts all the time. Maybe your confusing the 2 sites and making a generalization.

I don't notice the correlation you speak of. I do notice that I make a mental note of avatar's from users that post quality posts like Jude, Phage or Wrabbit.
edit on 11-4-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I DO know when it's Peanut Butter/Jelly time, with more accuracy than before.
Which is good, because we received some very nice gourmet Jellies for Christmas.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Flags and stars could be viewed as the virtual consideration, agreement or appreciation of someone's thread/post. It's not compulsory but is often done to show one's support of a thread, idea or viewpoint. Hope it helps.
ETA If you notice I starred your "I don't think people on here have a sense of humour" post, just for the hell of it and also by way of illustration. This adds to your virtual ATS score.

ETA2 The thought has just dawned on me that you were quite simply asking what they mean and how to give them (something I wasn't sure of myself, especially the flag, it's hard to find). If so, to star someone's post just click on an empty star directly above that post. To flag a thread, the "Flag It" buttons are located at the bottom and the top of each page. If I got it wrong, please disregard my mumblings.
edit on 11/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA2

edit on 11/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

edit on 11/4/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Has anyone else?

I can correlate all kinds of things...but remember...correlation is not causation...so the correlation is useless!

Throw in some probability...and statistics...well now we have a massive amount of data that would take years to go through...so ya...I doubt anyone has "proof" of causation...correlation sure...not much more than that though!

Good luck on your quest for "proof"...I hope you have time to analyze the data (once you get it all) and report your finding back to us!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

I agree that at times, some of them can be annoying and/or distracting, but not quite sure what you're expecting to accomplish by making a 'bogus' thread about it.

[ESC] = They all stop. No more moving. No more distractions.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Has anyone else?

Yes the CBAE in conjunction with BABS have run many field study s on this specific problem.
The results proved quite conclusively that they are not sure
However Correlation between amount of emoticions or CBAE for short have vowed to keep up their in depth study till an answer is found to this troubling question
BABS however has gone back to her day job bending bananas.
I would post a link but my mind is a bit foggy at present and I cant recall the site I read this info on.

edit on 11-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo cos i am an imbecile

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
omg - Now I will have to really think twice before using any emoticons again.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

As you can see from my avatar area (unlike your good self) you have the pleasure of addressing an Englishman in Old Amsterdam.

Actually, i have opted out of seeing people's avatars, because i think they are moronic, juvenile accoutrements that have no bearing on factual discourse, and remind me of something teenage girls do.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by artistpoet

Has anyone else?

Yes the CBAE in conjunction with BABS have run many field study s on this specific problem.
The results proved quite conclusively that they are not sure
However Correlation between amount of emoticions or CBAE for short have vowed to keep up their in depth study till an answer is found to this troubling question
BABS however has gone back to her day job bending bananas.
I would post a link but my mind is a bit foggy at present and I cant recall the site I read this info on.

edit on 11-4-2012 by artistpoet because: typo cos i am an imbecile

You, sir. Get It.

Good on you.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join