It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

These Imbeciles Thought the Titanic Disaster Was Just a Movie

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I thought it was a fairground ride, that they turned into a film???
...man am I disappointed...

A
edit on 13-4-2012 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

What in the world is going on?
reply to post by Juston

I certainly don't have the entire answer, but certainly part of it, is the utter "dumbing down" of the educational system in this country. The reasons are beyond the scope of this thread, but I've outlined them in many OPs that I've authored regarding the problem with education in this country. It would shock many old timers, as it did me, to see how unprepared students entering college, are today. Basic skills in just about every core skill set are SEVERELY deficient, but they sure can text, especially when class is going on. When I saw it, I asked for the cell phone, and if they didn't give it to me, during class, I had them leave the room.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I dont remember ever being taught about the Titanic in school.

I cant see that it has any educational relevance except maybe a loose connection with the Lusitania and the time proven lesson of avoiding icebergs. Getting into psych classes and looking at why the crew and passengers behaved the way they did is valuable but not at a high school level. That sort of study belongs to college.

Still, it's impossible to not glean from simply living, reading, talking or otherwise participating in popular culture what it is and what it was.

I think so many not knowing says more about that generations popular culture and social habits than it does about schooling.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by cahlmac

Originally posted by MarkJS
This particular brand of ignorance belongs on the other side of the pond... as the "White Star Line", the company that built the ship was in the UK.

Perhaps the reason that it's not taught anymore in their schools is because God slapped them down - or allowed an iceberg to slap them down, after that famous quote:

Not even God himself could sink this ship.
URL link

People don't like to be reminded of their humiliations.

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/4/2012 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

That's one way of looking at it!... God sunk the Titanic. Of course he did

Why is there always some idiot saying that it's gods vengence if something bad happens??

And if you are from 'the other side of the pond' as you put it, it's not something that needs to be taught at school as most people learn of this disaster at quite an early age.

And do you really believe that your side of the pond has suffered no humiliations???
Really??
Go on think about it..... anything yet??
There must be something.............................................

That's one way of looking at it!... God sunk the Titanic. Of course he did

Why is there always some idiot saying that it's gods vengence if something bad happens??

I don't know if there is always somebody talking about God's vengence... but in the posted quote... God Himself was directly challenged by the pride of (a) man, or a company, or a nation... not sure which. This, along with the maritime regulations put into place, was probably one of the most important lessons that we learned... not to 'dare God', and be in His face about it while doing so. That is why it's so important for the younger generation to know the history of this disaster, and why a lot of people are appalled that they aren't aware. We're shocked, but it's expected, knowing human nature.

And do you really believe that your side of the pond has suffered no humiliations???

You're right. I'm sure we have... and they were covered-over, like business as usual (BAU). That is the point of my post. These events should not be covered over, like it never happened... it's not a good thing.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
TROUBLE IS MOST OF THESE GENERATION HAVE FAR TO MUCH SOCIAL TIME ON THERE

*HANDS*

BAN PHONES IN CLASSES PERIOD

I SOON NUCKLED DOWN WITH MY LEARNING IN SCHOOL WHEN THE BLACKBOARD RUBBER CAME FLYING

IN MY DIRECTION........

IT SEEMS MOST OF THE LEARNING DONE IS

LEARNING WHO HAS THE LATEST GOSSIP TO TALK ABOUT ON SOCIAL NETWORKING SITES

AKA FACEBOOK ...

CLASSES ARE FOR LEARNING, NOT LEARNING THE LATEST GOSSIP

ETC...

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join