It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Advertising

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
the other day at school i heard that the KOOL brand cigarettes uses subliminal advertising because people read stuff backwards first then they look at it regularly. so at first you read KOOL as, "LOOK" then you read it as "KOOL", so u read it as "LOOK KOOL"... anyone know if this is true and if any other companys use this or any other kinds of subliminal advertising? this is the first time i have ever heard this so im not sure if its true.

[edit on 25-9-2004 by DanTodd]

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I have herd subliminal messeging registers in your sub consious

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silent Smoke

I love Meriam Webster:

"Main Entry: sub�lim�i�nal
Pronunciation: (")s&-'bli-m&-n&l
Function: adjective
Etymology: sub- + Latin limin-, limen threshold
1 : inadequate to produce a sensation or a perception
2 : existing or functioning below the threshold of consciousness."

You are correct.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   

lol, i think thats the point of subliminal messeging, your mind doesnt persieve it but your sub concience does...

ok back to the topic, has anyone heard of this KOOL cigarettes subliminal messaging thing?

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Yeah I am quite aware of subliminal messaging, I have a degree in Multimedia Studies, and one of the courses we did dealt with advertising and how to broadcast various messages in various ways that aren't seen consciously by the viewer.

A recent example is the iPod. Tell me, how many of the younger (teens) membersof ATS want an iPod (For that matter, anyone here)? I can bet you almost 100% you have been the reciepiant of Subliminal Messaging from the music industry (ironic isn't it - they are advertising to the youth the one thing that is causing it's downfall).

You are probably wondering how you were dueped (spelling) by now. Well, think back to when the iPod was first coming out, there was a large infux (at lease I noticed) of iPods being used by rap stars and R & B groups (I refuse to call them artists - but we'll leave that for another day
) in their music videos. When the IBM compatible version came out, as well as the Mini yet more messaging occured on our TV screens.

A classic Subliminal message was from the 50's I believe is the Coca-Cola advertising campaign in the cinemas. During the interlude flashes of 'Drink Coke' or similar were projected onto the screen.

Subliminal advertising goes a lot further than that too, advertising even goes to the extreme of what a particular colour envokes a certain feeling by the viewer. For example Coke is red = excitement, action (if I remember correctly).

Marlboro had the Marlboro man, a stereotypical figure of a cowboy. Back when he was mass marketed the target audience was most likely those who grew up watching spagetti western serials (spelling/grammar?) on the TV. So these people would see a figure that they grew up with and aspired to become when they grow up - so in their eyes to be like the Marlboro Man you needed so smoke just like him.

Hope this was enlightening and not just garbage.

posted on Sep, 26 2004 @ 10:56 PM
link   
tHEre is no such thing as subLiminalLadvertising. to believe In Such a tHing is the result of a pEnetRatingly, swollEn imagination!

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Oh no Hell is here! Or so says a voice in the back of my head.

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
A classic Subliminal message was from the 50's I believe is the Coca-Cola advertising campaign in the cinemas. During the interlude flashes of 'Drink Coke' or similar were projected onto the screen.

"It was James Vicary who coined the term "subliminal advertising." Vicary had conducted a variety of unusual studies of female shopping habits, discovering (among other things) that women's eye-blink rates dropped significantly in supermarkets, that "psychological spring" lasts more than twice as long as "psychological winter," and that "the experience of a woman baking a cake could be likened to a woman giving birth." Vicary's studies were largely forgettable, save for one experiment he conducted at a Ft. Lee, New Jersey movie theater during the summer of 1957. Vicary placed a tachistoscope in the theater's projection booth, and all throughout the playing of the film Picnic, he flashed a couple of different messages on the screen every five seconds. The messages each displayed for only 1/3000th of a second at a time, far below the viewers' threshold of conscious perceptibility. The result of displaying these imperceptible suggestions -- "Drink Coca-Cola" and "Hungry? Eat Popcorn" -- was an amazing 18.1% increase in Coca-Cola sales, and a whopping 57.8% jump in popcorn purchases. Thus was demonstrated the awesome power of "subliminal advertising" to coerce unwary buyers into making purchases they would not otherwise have considered.

Or so goes the legend that has retained its potency for more than forty years. So potent a legend, in fact, that the Federal Communications Commission banned "subliminal advertising" from radio and television airwaves in 1974, despite that fact that no studies have ever shown it to be effective, and even though its alleged efficacy was based on a fraud.

Vicary lied about the results of his experiment. When he was challenged to repeat the test by the president of the Psychological Corporation, Dr. Henry Link, Vicary's duplication of his original experiment produced no significant increase in popcorn or Coca-Cola sales. Eventually Vicary confessed that he had falsified the data from his first experiments, and some critics have since expressed doubts that he actually conducted his infamous Ft. Lee experiment at all." Source: Rogers, Stuart. "How a Publicity Blitz Created the Myth of Subliminal Advertising."

posted on Sep, 27 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   
www.searchlores.org..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">http...://www.searchlores.org/realicra/sublimi.htm

www.subliminalworld.org...bpsoutdoor.com...

Here's some more links on Subliminal Advertising.....Knock Yourself Out!

new topics

top topics

join