It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum physicists use light to beam matter through a solid wall

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I caught this on another forum and although I don't post in 'science' ...I'm making an exception. Why? Because when abductees tell their stories and claim they somehow penetrated through walls/ceilings/roofs/cars etc, maybe Jane and Joe Average will stop and consider what science is finally admitting
Light going through a wall and people going through solid objects are the SAME thing. It's all 'matter'. And according to what we were taught, solids can't go through solids.

But we know everything is composed of mostly empty space, including us. And off-world Beings have this technology and most likely gave it to our governments back in the 40's. But that's another thread for another time.

I believe with with every fiber of my being, science is at LEAST 40 years more advance than what they're letting on. Which means, they're at minimum using technology that we'll have in the year 2050. Just THINK about that!

To recap; we have the media saying they'll find alien planet/life in 2 more years and..... the military using cloaking devices and....we know they practice remote viewing and telepathy and..... now, this.

So do you really think alien abductions were just sleep paralysis?

Scientists at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge have used light to help push electrons through a classically impenetrable barrier. While quantum tunnelling is at the heart of the peculiar wave nature of particles, this is the first time that it has been controlled by light. Their research is published today, 05 April, in the journal Science.

Particles cannot normally pass through walls, but if they are small enough quantum mechanics says that it can happen. This occurs during the production of radioactive decay and in many chemical reactions as well as in scanning tunnelling microscopes.

According to team leader, Professor Jeremy Baumberg, “the trick to telling electrons how to pass through walls, is to now marry them with light”.

This marriage is fated because the light is in the form of cavity photons, packets of light trapped to bounce back and forth between mirrors which sandwich the electrons oscillating through their wall.

Research scientist Peter Cristofolini added: “The offspring of this marriage are actually new indivisible particles, made of both light and matter, which disappear through the slab-like walls of semiconductor at will.”

One of the features of these new particles, which the team christened ‘dipolaritons’, is that they are stretched out in a specific direction rather like a bar magnet. And just like magnets, they feel extremely strong forces between each other.

Such strongly interacting particles are behind a whole slew of recent interest from semiconductor physicists who are trying to make condensates, the equivalent of superconductors and superfluids that travel without loss, in semiconductors.

xenophilius.wordpress.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
This quote from you really struck a cord with me.............
"I believe with with every fiber of my being, science is at LEAST 40 years more advance than what they're letting on. Which means, they're at minimum using technology that we'll have in the year 2050. Just THINK about that!"
You see, if these idiots keep toying with dark matter and searching for the mysterious "god particle" none of us are going to be here in 5 years, let alone 50.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Trublbrwing

Its really interesting actually because it is well known that the military's technology is about 50 years ahead of civilian technology. I can't say it is all perfected, but they have the funding. There are stories of the concept of cell phones during WWII (Mid 1940s) and the concept of the internet being used during the Vietnam War (Late 1960s). I should probably make a thread on military tech but im lazy lol......but something like this is no surprise at all...and honestly most military techs have an application that trickles down into the civilian world.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I am so glad that we have rational, clear headed and informed posts like these on the boards, really I am. Thrilled to bits. So refreshing to hear (yet another) unique opinion from someone who appears to believe we should have stayed in the trees hurling our scatalogical output at one another from the leafy fronds of our former homes. Also it is plesant to hear that there are some who would suggest that the greatest inventions, and discoveries made by man are mere meddling and nothing more.

Honestly, how do you get the effort together to put socks on in the morning?

The thing that has kept this species moving, living, advancing and progressing (wether you personally enjoy the progress or not) has been our inquisitive nature, our questing intent, to learn all that we can about the world around us, and the universe in a wider sense. We would not even be communicating now if people in the past had decided that the arcane arts of international telecoms were a heresy best left un-touched. What has happened to mankind in the last hundred years ought to be a testament and a memorial to all the masterful persons who had thier ideas crushed by ignorance. Like Tesla for instance.

Some however see the entire efforts of science as nothing more than risk taken heedlessly. Utterly contemptable attitude if you ask me.
edit on 9-4-2012 by TrueBrit because: grammatical failiure

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Hey, a late April Fool?

Especially as the original refers to "The paper, ‘Controlling quantum tunnelling with light’ is scheduled to be published on Thursday, 05 April in the journal Science."

So predates the 4th.

Getting closer to April 1?

Hehe.?????

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trublbrwing
You see, if these idiots keep toying with dark matter and searching for the mysterious "god particle" none of us are going to be here in 5 years, let alone 50.

To be honest, I find this statement quite puzzling, which is a way of saying it doesn't make much sense to me.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

Not sure if you can read it from your location, but here is the actual link

Now, while quantum mechanics is a fascinating field (and devilishly complex most of the time), we are still talking about microscopic phenomena here. OK, the electrons effectively tunneled across a gap of a few nanometers. Remarkable but not some kind of revolution in physics or technology.

It's a great piece of work at any rate.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
Hey, a late April Fool?

Especially as the original refers to "The paper, ‘Controlling quantum tunnelling with light’ is scheduled to be published on Thursday, 05 April in the journal Science."

So predates the 4th.

Getting closer to April 1?

Hehe.?????

Yeah. That's it!

I guess if anything controversial or extraordinary ever takes place again in the future, it best not be around April 1st!

This discovery has been known for years. That is my opinion therefore I have no proof. But I know at least 10 million other people who will agree with me on this and that's good enough for me.

I like this demonstration:

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

This quote from you really struck a cord with me.............
"I believe with with every fiber of my being, science is at LEAST 40 years more advance than what they're letting on. Which means, they're at minimum using technology that we'll have in the year 2050. Just THINK about that!"

And HAARP. Don't forget HAARP!

And these are just the tools (toys) that we know about. Can you imagine what we don't know?

I share your sentiments

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicexplorer

Its really interesting actually because it is well known that the military's technology is about 50 years ahead of civilian technology. I can't say it is all perfected, but they have the funding. There are stories of the concept of cell phones during WWII (Mid 1940s) and the concept of the internet being used during the Vietnam War (Late 1960s). I should probably make a thread on military tech but im lazy lol......but something like this is no surprise at all...and honestly most military techs have an application that trickles down into the civilian world.

I would love to read it. If you ever do make a thread, please let me know

By the way, that photo that was circulating on the internet a while ago, with a woman holding a cell phone?.....I don't believe that's what it was at all. I believe it was a hearing aide horn/device.
I doubt the military would let civilians show their secrets out in public anyway.

I believe we've been to the Moon and Mars decades ago too. And maybe even further.
Ever wonder what's on all these rockets and what's in their payloads? Plus, all the (space bound) rockets that aren't public knowledge? C'mon. You'd be foolish NOT to think they're doing extraordinary things out there behind our backs.

But alas: everything is always cloaked under the veil of national security enforcement.
That's one reason why we always need 'enemies'. They make a great cover-story for endless cover-ups!
edit on 9-4-2012 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Speaking of which this Italian scientist who works for CERN's counterpart in Italy, is stepping down from 'pressure' due to media interest?

Since when are scientists that sensitive?
I ain't buying that as the reason. Sounds too hokey.

Faster-than-light' neutrinos project coordinator resigns
By Jeanna Bryner, LiveScienceMon,
Apr 02 2012 at 2:19 PM ES
www.mnn.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem
reply to post by dowot

Not sure if you can read it from your location, but here is the actual link

Now, while quantum mechanics is a fascinating field (and devilishly complex most of the time), we are still talking about microscopic phenomena here. OK, the electrons effectively tunneled across a gap of a few nanometers. Remarkable but not some kind of revolution in physics or technology.

It's a great piece of work at any rate.

Thanks, but that is just the report I referred to, dated the 5th April and subsequent to the original announcement, which could have been on the 1st April.

However I assume the association would not be party to such a devilish idea.

As for understanding what is going on, I get the word "Wall" and "Light" but not much else. I bow to superior intelligences and return to the stone I was hiding under. Haha.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Speaking of which this Italian scientist who works for CERN's counterpart in Italy, is stepping down from 'pressure' due to media interest?

Since when are scientists that sensitive?
I ain't buying that as the reason. Sounds too hokey.

Faster-than-light' neutrinos project coordinator resigns
By Jeanna Bryner, LiveScienceMon,
Apr 02 2012 at 2:19 PM ES
www.mnn.com...

a) I'm at loss as to why you chose to mention the OPERA experiment in this particular thread. Piling things up is not sanitary.

b) If you read your own link with more care, you will notice that it was "criticism" (inside the group) that forced him into resignation, and not just media pressure. It's very normal for a team of researchers to have varying opinions about what matters, and yes at times this "politics" becomes a little too hostile to someone's taste.

All in all, not any sort of exciting news.

edit on 9-4-2012 by buddhasystem because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by dowot
As for understanding what is going on, I get the word "Wall" and "Light" but not much else. I bow to superior intelligences and return to the stone I was hiding under. Haha.

It's not too difficult to find basic info on quantum tunneling. But in this case, I can assure you, it takes an intellect far superior to mine to understand the actual detail. Sounds like interaction of light and solid matter produces a quazi-particle, which is not news in itself but a reflection of the very complex nature of such interaction. It's just a way to describe things in a way that can be solved, mathematically.

Eventually it may have useful applications in opto-electronics.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Its really interesting actually because it is well known that the military's technology is about 50 years ahead of civilian technology.

No, it isn't.

Depending upon the application, the military will utilize technology that is between 5 and 20 years away from being marketable - IE - before you see it outside of highly specialized industry applications.

We still have # flying in the air with #ing vacuum tubes in it.

In some cases, the military is actually 5-10 years behind the civilian market. The basic smart-phone, programmed and adapted for combat applications, would greatly enhance the ground warfighter's ability were it integrated into their standard loadout with a clean interface.

The military has tested a few similar systems - but the advent of the modern smart phone with its wide marketability and portability was necessary to make it even remotely practical for the battlefield... even then, with the time for design, approval, and procurement, it will be five to ten years before we see operational numbers of "technowarrior" gear outside of the special warfare commands.

They don't have technology that hasn't been discovered, yet. The special warfare commands will use technology that is prohibitively expensive.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Thanks for the nice post. People keep saying "oh there is sooper sikrit stuff that's 100 years ahead of its time that the military uses" and I always thought it was bonkers.

As you say, depending on application they can be a few years ahead or a few years behind. The so-called "Objective Weapon System" in one of its prototypes used the Windows computing platform (inside a man-portable weapon). That's hardly cutting edge. I'm sure now they'd be using Android, but again that's commonplace.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This is why I, of all the sciences, love physics. It's the science that truly wants to know the riddle to age old questions. If there is a spiritual science, it is physics.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueBrit

I am so glad that we have rational, clear headed and informed posts like these on the boards, really I am. Thrilled to bits. So refreshing to hear (yet another) unique opinion from someone who appears to believe we should have stayed in the trees hurling our scatalogical output at one another from the leafy fronds of our former homes. Also it is plesant to hear that there are some who would suggest that the greatest inventions, and discoveries made by man are mere meddling and nothing more.

Honestly, how do you get the effort together to put socks on in the morning?

The thing that has kept this species moving, living, advancing and progressing (wether you personally enjoy the progress or not) has been our inquisitive nature, our questing intent, to learn all that we can about the world around us, and the universe in a wider sense. We would not even be communicating now if people in the past had decided that the arcane arts of international telecoms were a heresy best left un-touched. What has happened to mankind in the last hundred years ought to be a testament and a memorial to all the masterful persons who had thier ideas crushed by ignorance. Like Tesla for instance.

Some however see the entire efforts of science as nothing more than risk taken heedlessly. Utterly contemptable attitude if you ask me.
edit on 9-4-2012 by TrueBrit because: grammatical failiure

Right you are, I forgot all about the wonderful things science has given us over the years..........
Mustard gas
Napalm
Atomic bombs
Gunpowder
Oil slicks
Chernobyl
Bhopal
Bouncing Betty's
Clay-mores
Grenades
Global warming
Pipe bombs
Bullets
Tanks
That's the short list Einstein. About the only invention that enriches the average person's life is the toilet, the rest is garbage we can all live pretty well without.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

That's the short list Einstein. About the only invention that enriches the average person's life is the toilet, the rest is garbage we can all live pretty well without.

Canning.
Photovoltaics.
Climate Control.
Metallurgy.
Nutritional Guides/Theories.
Crop Rotation.
Companion Planting.
Herbalism.
-THE INTERNET- (the thing you are using right now)

And that's a small list.

Perhaps you would be content as a shelter-less leaf in the wind - but a number of people have some level of intellectual curiosity and creative instincts that they must satisfy.

posted on Apr, 9 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   

About the only invention that enriches the average person's life is the toilet, the rest is garbage we can all live pretty well without.

I've heard this many times from people who live reasonably comfortable modern lives, with broadband Internet access, GPS and a decently stocked medicine cabinet. And, a modicum of hypocrisy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join