It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All the Preaching on ATS

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I fail to understand why there has been such a large shift in ATS towards religion. Religion is important to me but that's not why I come to ATS. What's Above Top Secret-ish about being preached to? What's innovative about being condemned in here or judged in here or told I am going to hell in here? The Bible is centuries old, widely distributed, and well read, so hardly secret, hardly new, and hardly unknown and in need of exposure. Yet there are sooooooo many posts this last year from people telling others in here how bad they are or how wrong they are rather than debating the belief in the Bible or evidence about the stories told or trying to unite scientific studies with what the Bible relates. That I can understand having a place in ATS for. Parsing the Bible for truths. Did a whale swallow Jonah or not? Was there a Great Flood that covered the entire earth or not? Which parts are true, allegory, metaphor, and so on. But the condemnation and preaching seems like a takeover to me. Personally, I come here for other things than that. And of course I realize I don't have to read each post, but I try to read a great many of them and when I'm being told I'm going to hell by someone who doesn't know me, it seems like a waste of space and time for one and all. People seem to forget that being Christian means something totally different. Not judging and not condemning. Spreading the Good Word, and not the harsh accusations.
edit on 7-4-2012 by jaxnmarko because: additions

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

Great post! Please, can't people stop telling others they are going to hell if they don't believe exactly as they believe?

S&F
edit on 7-4-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Despite my overwhelming anti-religion stance in many threads, I believe that religion is a valid subject, since it drives the personal decisions and beliefs of a large segment of the population. Religious considerations influence government, politics and many other subjects and thus should be considered to be on-topic.

In regards to purely religious rhetoric and preaching though, I maintain that those threads should be contained within the religion section. (for obvious reasons)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
If you say I am going to to hell..can I at least get a good spanking before I go?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I fail to understand why there has been such a large shift in ATS towards religion.

Look at what forum you made this thread in.

Or was it moved here my a moderator from another forum?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
If you say I am going to to hell..can I at least get a good spanking before I go?

No, but you can leap over our bodies all the way there.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Anyone who tells you you're going to hell is automatically going to hell. Isn't there something about that in the bible? In the 'he who is without sin' department?

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I fail to understand why there has been such a large shift in ATS towards religion.

Why do you have such a a terrible torture device as your avatar?
edit on 7-4-2012 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Oh yeah, like in the song.."A Pocket Full of Posses". Ashes to ashes... yeah you know it. I love that child like song.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Oh yeah, like in the song.."A Pocket Full of Posses". Ashes to ashes... yeah you know it. I love that child like song.

No, it's a variation of a quote from Charles Haddon Spurgeon, but good guess. Star for your effort.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   

What does this have to do with anything at all in regards to the OP? That terrible death device is where my Lord shed His innocent blood for me.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

That kind sir or madame, is a love letter.

I think you're trolling me at this point.

edit on 7-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   

What does this have to do with anything at all in regards to the OP? That terrible death device is where my Lord shed His innocent blood for me.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

That kind sir or madame, is a love letter.

I think you're trolling me at this point.

Well obviously it has to do with everything you stand for my friend. Yes I admit I am trolling you. I needed to see where you stood in your beliefs. Although I do not agree with your stance on religion, I do respect it and I will do everything to change it.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire
Anyone who tells you you're going to hell is automatically going to hell. Isn't there something about that in the bible? In the 'he who is without sin' department?

You're judging me right now. You're a hypocrite, at least Christians are honest about it.

We're to use the 'entire council of God", single verse theology is absurd. One could legitimately take Matthew 7:1 and couple it with Luke 12:19 and come away with alcoholism using that method.

The most misquoted verse in the Bible is probably Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged." We hear this verse multiple times a day. At Troy State University in Alabama, a professor we met even said that it was one of the Ten Commandments. Too often we have heard sincere, misinformed Christians and unbelievers alike say, "I don’t want to judge anybody, but..." Ironically, the one who screams "judge not" is often the one passing judgment on you!

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

Well obviously it has to do with everything you stand for my friend. Yes I admit I am trolling you. I needed to see where you stood in your beliefs. Although I do not agree with your stance on religion, I do respect it and I will do everything to change it.

If you want to see my stance on religion look at the video in my signature about "hating" it. Jesus isn't about religion. The religious folks were the ones who murdered Jesus. I respect you too. And you're a fundamentalist just like me, but without God.

If you don't annoy anyone then you never have stood for anything you are passionate about.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

You're judging me right now. You're a hypocrite, at least Christians are honest about it.

We're to use the 'entire council of God", single verse theology is absurd. One could legitimately take Matthew 7:1 and couple it with Luke 12:19 and come away with alcoholism using that method.

The most misquoted verse in the Bible is probably Matthew 7:1, "Judge not that ye be not judged." We hear this verse multiple times a day. At Troy State University in Alabama, a professor we met even said that it was one of the Ten Commandments. Too often we have heard sincere, misinformed Christians and unbelievers alike say, "I don’t want to judge anybody, but..." Ironically, the one who screams "judge not" is often the one passing judgment on you!

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged.

i am prepared for the judge..let him judge, and I will see where it falls short of the truth...

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Ho i see your here to do the same thing

Typical detract and derail
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot and having the other one in your mouth

Just my Nickel worth

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Just my Nickel worth

If only I was that flexible.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Here is that quote:

"If sinners will be damned, at least let them leap over our bodies. And if they will perish, let them perish with our arms about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, at least let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go there unwarned and unprayed for."

Charles Haddon Spurgeon, "The Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit", Volume VII, pg. 11.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

i am prepared for the judge..let him judge, and I will see where it falls short of the truth...

Yes, He is the ultimate Judge, and I have no idea what you may do in the future with Him so I never tell someone "You are going to Hell". And I'm going to do my best to keep you from ending up there, it's my passion, you can respect that from one proselyte to another.

I do it because I love you as my fellow man. At least I'm not like a Jehovah's Witness who is only doing not for love for you in the least bit, but are trying to earn their salvation. You're commission to them. At least I'm not doing it like a religious hypocrite so you can follow all my rules I've made up for you.

I want you to meet the same Living Savior who healed me like I did. God Bless, I'll check this thread tomorrow, I have to get to bed.

NuT

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trillium

Just my Nickel worth

If only I was that flexible.

Ho yes you sure are showing us the lack of flexibility in mind and body
I can’t prove it either but you’re doing a fine job yourself

Just my Nickel Worth
Remember we drop using penny here

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join