It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All the Preaching on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Now i can think of one person on here who will tell you, that you are going to hell if you call Jesus any other name than Jesus, or tell you that you're a member of a cult if you do not believe what he does, even though he is making his own cult and rewriting the bible to say what he wants. But very few people do i see like that, and he knows who i am talking about.

Really wolf? Only one?
I see a good half dozen of them on any given day; some are way way out there, and don't even attempt to support their stance with anything other than opinion or 'channeled messages'. They give very little information on how they arrived where they are, and when asked, either run away or change the subject, or try to turn the tables so they can condemn others.

I enjoy reading the Galactic Federation of Light channelings (not on ATS, ?? if anyone knows where they might be...perhaps Alien/UFO forum?) actually...they are wonderful, optimistic, uplifting, full of hope and a promise of a better future...
they speak of things we need to hear...and offer everyone a chance to partake.

The religious 'seers' -- on the other hand -- and the rogue preachers and Jesus-Camp types -- are not...they are morbid, scary, threatening, sinister, damning, warning, terrorists. Further, their 'followers' are often just as negative and tyrannical.

Big, big diff.

I'd tell you happy Easter, but I know you don't do 'Easter'....in any case, a happy belated vernal equinox and season of growth to you!
wildtimes

Most of the theology threads on ATS are purely informative, but about once in a week there's one that tells people they are going to hell or demon possessed. I haven't been here long but that seems to be the theme. From my experience, the religion and theology forums aren't as abrasive as you put it.

Personally, I prefer seeking hope and salvation through somebody that actually walked and talked with us, Yeshua. Much less of a stretch than space aliens traversing the universe in the Death Star tampering with human DNA.

You can welcome them as such:

This is how I'd deal with the invaders! :

But that's what makes ATS ATS. Everybody has an opinion. I respect yours and everybody else's here.
edit on 7-4-2012 by CaptainNemo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainNemo

Most of the theology threads on ATS are purely informative, but about once in a week there's one that tells people they are going to hell or demon possessed.

Hmmmm....
you're right, there are lots of informative threads that start out as theological premises that invite discussion, ask for thoughts. I visit this forum every day. EVERY DAY (kind sad, huh? It's a phase I'm going through - not the first time, nor will it be the last - I attribute it to my dealing with, adjusting to, and grieving my father's death in August of 2010. )

The problem is not the OP titles (which are generally pretty good...) and you are correct, there are only about one OP per week put up by the proselytizers, evangelists, and crusaders...
but if you read the replies, and get to be familiar with the group of regular posters, you'll see it on a daily basis, in nearly every thread....they jump in and start flinging insults and hell-fire at people (or alternatively scare them or tell them they're doomed to hell)....

If you read through all the OPs and all the pages, you'll get to know the 'players' here a little better.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that you're getting something worthwhile from the forum. I am, too, the hard-liners notwithstanding. And it's a fascinating look at human behavior in general.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
You are only sure of two things,

Your birth
and
Your Death

What's the rush, eventually all will be revealed as the trumpets have silenced.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
When I finally did join here at ATS, it was because I had been a Very Long Time Lurker and wanted to be in the company of minds like Slayer69, TrueAmerican, Phage and Benevolent Heretic to name a few.
I found myself in the middle of a take over by kids, trolls and religious martyrs who don't really want to discuss, but preach,, so I concur.

But on the other hand, I find some, like NotUrTypical challenging and able to speak coherently, even if I disagree with them most of the time.

What is the worst thing about it, is when they do not want to discuss the issues presented, but solely rely on supermarket preaching tactics,,, this is boring, as I myself studied to be a minister when I was still a christian, and I think I know the Bible very well. And I try and listen also,,, even if my Pagan Blood gets to boiling. At least I think I try well enough to discuss relevant topics that might be presented and not JUST counter with my own view. I respect good debate.

What I have found is that if confronted with the stupidity of their arguments,, most will ignore, preach on and/or move on to another subject ,,,, that I might have wanted to comment on,,, but after such take overs,, I give up now.

It is difficult,, because I do think I can view both sides and at the same time speak about my views,, but feel so many here now only want what they have to say be heard,, and you get a deaf ear turned or a Bible Verse instead of a Conversation.

You can look at some of my posts and see what I mean if you like,,, and I admit when I am harsh in speech to someone,,, and only would like to have the same type of response. It can get heated,, but still it can be toned down to conversation level most of the time.

But Preachers don't want to converse,,, they want to preach.

Can the Mods make a new place to send this type too? Call it " Sunday School'' or something,,, and let us have the rest of the boards for what they are meant to be??

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I'd note the amusing situation of posting a near rant about preaching from within the forum dedicated to preaching. There is some statement of something in that somewhere. lol.... Anyway... I feel your frustration when the preachy religion talk runs over and clear out of this forum to bring that perspective to places where it really doesn't fit.

Preaching at ATS though is part of the charm of the place. Seriously! I love telling people I describe ATS to as potential new users that it's a website where a Baptist Preacher, a Creationist working at NASA or the guy who flat out invented the Tin Foil Hat in the first place can all find a little corner here to pull up a chair and chat on what makes them feel the best. I must say....almost no site before (if any?) have attempted this real broad mix of hard science, philosophy and outer fringe conspiracy as one big ball of forums and seen it work.

Hats off and I'd never want to see the preaching go away.......just don't run it right over the top of everyone outside the religious areas is all I'd ever ask.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
To give credence to the OP here's a little excerpt taken from a thread about a beautiful nature video in the Fragile Earth forum

And to think after watching that, theres still people thinking evolution made it, which came for no apparent reason of an explosion nobody knows why, just boggles my mind. You people are hopeless and should be ashamed.

Out of nowhere... lets read it again

You people are hopeless and should be ashamed.

My eyes rolled back so far away I saw my genuine tact leave my brain and get out from my butt hole

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The Bible only reveals a few truths of a bigger picture

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Isn't preaching about the same as politician. Both like to dress up, become the center of attention. Pull the wool over everyone's eyes to get money and fame.

And when it comes to delivering on the promisses------they are each empty handed. Try to pin them down and their denials is like punching clouds.

Then again----might have to toss in they like to be PT Barnum clones, who depend on suckers being born every day.

Any of the three just think they have the license to lie. And do with great passion.

edit on 7-4-2012 by MagnumOpus because: The Passion of the Liars to deceive

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Funny, in all the posts i read in the religion section, very few if any have blatantly told people theyre going to hell. I don't think there's any southern baptists on this site at all.

Yes there are, and have been. Most of the time they fizzle out in a blaze of glory. (pun intended) I know of one who's name begins with a K and ends in a 1.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaxnmarko
I fail to understand why there has been such a large shift in ATS towards religion. Religion is important to me but that's not why I come to ATS. What's Above Top Secret-ish about being preached to? What's innovative about being condemned in here or judged in here or told I am going to hell in here? The Bible is centuries old, widely distributed, and well read, so hardly secret, hardly new, and hardly unknown and in need of exposure. Yet there are sooooooo many posts this last year from people telling others in here how bad they are or how wrong they are rather than debating the belief in the Bible or evidence about the stories told or trying to unite scientific studies with what the Bible relates. That I can understand having a place in ATS for. Parsing the Bible for truths. Did a whale swallow Jonah or not? Was there a Great Flood that covered the entire earth or not? Which parts are true, allegory, metaphor, and so on. But the condemnation and preaching seems like a takeover to me. Personally, I come here for other things than that. And of course I realize I don't have to read each post, but I try to read a great many of them and when I'm being told I'm going to hell by someone who doesn't know me, it seems like a waste of space and time for one and all. People seem to forget that being Christian means something totally different. Not judging and not condemning. Spreading the Good Word, and not the harsh accusations.
edit on 7-4-2012 by jaxnmarko because: additions

It would appear, having the ability to memorize, and parrot scripture, bestows godly powers to those who can.

Only they can pull out their scripture club, and beat anything posted that doesn't fit in their narrow box of religious reality.

Scripture parrots don't allow debate. Debate is evil. Debate is to be avoided at all costs. Then, we have the CAPS preachers. If it's in ALL CAPS...it must be true....don't know which I dislike more.....

Des

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't like the preaching either - if by that you mean people who are unwilling to sit down and have a calm back and forth discussion about the topic. I also get tired of every thread being pro or anti Christian.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jaxnmarko

A lot of the "preaching" you are complaining about stems
from believers trying to warn you of the end times we are living
in.You may not believe this,but they are trying to save your lives.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

And here is the dilemma, I guess. I don't buy into this being the end times. But, people who are convinced they *need* to save people like me, can get so pushy about it, all sense of normal debate gets lost.

This is where massive wall quoting of scripture seems to come into play. I turn off at that point. I feel at that point, I'm no longer talking with another person. Just a scripture parrot.

JMOHO....Des

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Haven't people been preaching for that since the begining of organized religion?....

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

What I don't quite understand is what exactly are they attempting to "save" us from? I know where the ideas for Hell came from, and I am not afraid of any made up being with horns and a pitchfork either. I know that I am Spirit, and that I am Immortal by my very nature. Fear is not my enemy, fear is my friend.
So, what is there for a person like me to fear?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I know where the ideas for Hell came from, and I am not afraid of any made up being with horns and a pitchfork either.

Well, neither are we.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

I know where the ideas for Hell came from, and I am not afraid of any made up being with horns and a pitchfork either.

Well, neither are we.

Well, from what I have heard from all of the self styled preachers in here it certainly sounds like it. If you are not scared of your Devil, then why on Earth should your God be scared of him? To hear some, Satan is just as powerful as God, and may be able to whip him in a fight. This was all pounded into my head as a child, again and again I heard the same words, over and over.

Let me ask a question:
IF, big word, if Every Single Christian, and Every Single Believer in the Devil/Satan/Lucifer were to turn their back, and say out loud, "I do not believe in you!"
What do you think would happen?

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Well, neither are we.

Well, from what I have heard from all of the self styled preachers in here it certainly sounds like it.

Quote one of us evangelists saying any of that nonsense. You're straw manning.

If you are not scared of your Devil,

he isn't my devil for one thing..

then why on Earth should your God be scared of him?

He isn't scared of him. Where do you get this nonsense from? www.evilbible.com?

To hear some,

Quote?..

Satan is just as powerful as God,

I reject that as nonsense, but let's play the reductio ad absurdum game:

If satan/Lucifer was as "powerful as God" then why didn't he kick His butt off the throne before Genesis 1 at the very second God threw his Cherub ass out of heaven?

and may be able to whip him in a fight.

All that jazz sounds like what the Satanists and Luciferians teach/believe, not Christians.

This was all pounded into my head as a child, again and again I heard the same words, over and over.

Perhaps it wasn't such a dandy idea hanging around with Satanists and Luciferians posing as Christians???

Let me ask a question:

Okay, but will you return the favor?

IF, big word, if Every Single Christian, and Every Single Believer in the Devil/Satan/Lucifer were to turn their back, and say out loud, "I do not believe in you!"
What do you think would happen?

He'd laugh. He already has half of them doing it and most of the non-Christians. Any more questions?

edit on 8-4-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
All "religions" are false. They cannot save you.

Salvation and eternal life is all about your personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

You can throw everything else out ..... get yourself a King James Authorized bible (not the so-called "New" KJ corruption)...the KJB is the literal word of God in English...get on your knees and ask the Lord for forgiveness for your sins (and mean it) and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ as your saviour from your sins and hell; whose blood washed away the sins of the world, and who was bodily resurrected (for real; not play time) after three days in the grave.

Other than the above you don't even need to listen to me.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Prayers to those reading this...amen and amen.

posted on Apr, 8 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Satan is just as powerful as God, and may be able to whip him in a fight

Huh? A created being, destroying something that created it and self existed before it? Thats foolish. Satan didn't allow himself to get nailed to the cross and endure humilation just to rescue you. In fact, he was banging in the nails and if he was as powerful as the Almighty, he would never have had Yeshua crucified. He thought he could end the matter right then. Want to see the story written in the geneaology of names? Watch YHWH laugh at his enemy (Satan/Lucifer/Lux)as he outwits him.

bible codes

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join