It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our definition of "MSM" (MainStream Media)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I understand that we have to classify the 'news' that we see and hear through our every-day media channels on the television and radio. The usual term awarded is 'MSM'. As Springer says; "("Main Stream Media" in case you're new around here)".

Here's another take on the popular acronym by British media watchdogs, Medialense.;

"We also sometimes use the term ‘mainstream’ media, but it’s a bit misleading. The dominant news media are structurally fanatical, money-grubbing, undemocratic hierarchies. They do not represent mainstream interests, if by that we mean the concerns and priorities of the general population.

For example, it cannot be considered ‘mainstream’ human thinking to downplay or reject credible evidence of imminent climate catastrophe. Consider that Reuters reported this week, 'Global warming close to becoming irreversible - scientists':

‘The world is close to reaching tipping points that will make it irreversibly hotter, making this decade critical in efforts to contain global warming, scientists warned on Monday.

‘Scientific estimates differ but the world's temperature looks set to rise by six degrees Celsius by 2100 if greenhouse gas emissions are allowed to rise uncontrollably.'

Will Steffen, executive director of the Australian National University's climate change institute, comments:

‘This is the critical decade. If we don't get the curves turned around this decade we will cross those lines.’

The story received no significant media attention and vanished from sight - as one would expect, given that researchers have observed a 'collapse of any significant coverage of climate change in the media’. Serious discussion of the corporate obstacles to action to avert climate chaos is even less likely to appear now than when we started in 2001; as is analysis of the disastrous impact of global capitalism on our cringing planet.

Likewise, it is not ‘mainstream’ human behaviour to promote one non-existent threat after another as part of a Permanent War to control fossil fuel resources that, if consumed, will exacerbate a genuine threat made invisible by ‘selective inattention’."

It's not my intention to start any debate on 'global warming' as this inevitabilty has been termed, but to draw your attention to what should be termed 'mainstream', and how and why it should be any other way. The above is merely a quote to demonstrate.

Is the product of the commercial media companies termed 'mainstream' because that is what is decreed to be broadcast to us - the majority of the world's population - by the learned, impartial and well-trained management of the mass media organisations?
Is it termed 'mainstream' because the outlets which broadcast it deem it stimulating and 'sensational' enough to grab our interest?
Is it termed 'mainstream' because it's the specious, inane, vacuous drivel that you and I pay for with our taxes and purchases (advertising dollars), and are too complacent to question, or is it called 'mainstream' because it's the type of information that we all should know (and have right to know) in order to make balanced decisions about which directions our leaders are taking us?

Maybe it's time for some new terminology. Actually - know what? Maybe it's time our elected leaders told us the truth. Oh, fnarbles.!!! Now I've done it. :-)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by wreckage

Brilliant! Thanks for this, great coffee-sipping essay.....
Flag

I was thinking as I read it, what is ATS' intention when they way MSM....as opposed to Alternative News....are we supposed to not use the big 5 or 6 in BAN and instead relegate them to OTN?

What is the collective here leaning toward as the best news source (aside from ATS, of course)

Good thoughts, wreckage...
and excellent point!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wreckage

I prefer to refer to MSM as "More Sensationalism to the Mass" and Alternative News Sources as MLT- More Likely Truthful.
The MSM is interested in viewership and readership, and actually strives to create controversy as a tactic. Alternative News Sources, in more cases than not, presents an ALTERNATIVE to the lies presented by most stories in the "MSM".
Just my view of things.....
As Pontius Pilate asked of Jesus: "What IS truth"? To this day, I'm not sure that question has been answered to my satisfaction.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I perceive the mainstream media as nothing more than World Wide Drama Networking, influencing radical point of views to cause problems and headache for us peace loving relax realist. Unfortunately there isn't much Quality reporting these days about what would really help America or the World, leaving the crap that floats to the top of the pond or what I like to call the Santorum.

We cannot define "Quality" because quality is a matter of perception. When the MSM doesn't raise the bar and acutally report things that would be a postive thing for society it promotes those things it wants to report. Racism, murder, theft and hatred.

The MSM reports what the government tells it to so by logical reasoning the Government wants to report this crap and supports and promotes the MSM.

This is why the government wants to censor the internet... the last hope of true free journalism.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

loosing viewers everyday is the new thing for the propaganda telly tube, much more interesting bs on the internet.

nanu nanuu

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Main Stream Mindless, dumb us up so we can not nor will we think for our selves, this is my take on MSM an other way to put it is Mindless Snoring Muck!
You can not take what you see or hear as fact any more, what they present you as news is not the truth nor fact but spin and sensationalized media, what is the best way to put the spin on news than to make sensationalized.

At one point i did a term in news reporting , found it to be not fact but more selling the story , ab lib and make it mind catching, do not quoit words,but use words in your own words to reflect what was said, make it your own to get the reader in touch with what he she is reading, if doing live edit to show the point but leave out the feelings and the after thoughts unless this too can sell, to me facts are facts no getting around that, but if it boring whose gonna read it watch it? sell the story. Some one wants to point out the facts cut them off or redirect them to an another point or topic, how many times have we sen this? MSM is now just show, unless you are there your self , do not take it for granted.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Morons Spewing Mindlessness is my definition

Prettymuch all news on the idiotbox, although some local stations out there seem to try to do a decent job of reporting the facts.

Oops, meant to hit the thread reply button not reply to you

edit on Thu, 05 Apr 2012 18:11:48 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join