It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by wingsfan

Pure logic, and refreshing. Why didn't you have to get incensed before posting what most of us would consider a crappy post?

logical, refreshing, and crappy??
I aim to please, I guess..........

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
This is a good idea, so ATS can put out the fire that the mainstream and other news outlets have been fueling. Good to see this message.

Thanks ATS guys.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

Yes, that would be quite a feat. But think of this, by asking people to think before they post and consider what they say for the benefit of the community can translate to the real world. Given time and good example of what fellowship, civility and decorum are all about then changes can be made to the people around you. And then in time changes to the people that are around them, and so on, and so on.

Another key thing to consider is that hate, fear and suspicion are natural. These are our gut instincts that protect us from danger. True racism and prejudice is a learned behavior. My personal motto in life is "Never refuse another man a drink of water if I have it for it is something we all need."

Ultimately it is up to the world if the world is to change... As for ATS, it is.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
I worked hard for 35 years. Now after a work related, repetitive movement injury, I find myself unemployed. So, I'm starting a small business, and working out of my home.

I love to come to ATS for quirky news, unconventional takes on mainstream news, and general chit chat. I like that we discuss topics that are usually taboo in traditional offices, like religion and politics.

ATS is my "office water cooler." I really always expected water cooler etiquette to be somewhat looser than P.C. office talk, but, I still expected a certain decorum of respect. Same with ATS. We expect a certain decorum and respect as well, same tolerance that would be expected in any public discourse.

Sometimes the "power of the avatar" that many hide behind, goes to ones head, and the anonymity gets the better.

Thanks for all that you do to keep the streets of ATS safe and clean!
edit on 3-4-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

My thoughts exactly! Nice to meet you!

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
" I am not being racist, I am just telling the truth"

Often, that's how most of the threads or posts that could be perceived as racist start. I am glad people are not getting away with their passive aggressive insults anymore.

Now, I don't mind having a discussion on race. It exists therefore its a valid subject in my opinion.

What I don't like is people thinly veiling their hatred. Be racist, I dont mind in the least. I live in Oklahoma, I can handle it. Just don't, please don't, try to pass it off as an intellectually honest discussion.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

@OP

I've been avoiding those threads like the plague.
I get enough stress from my gf.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
IMO the problem comes from opinion,
how about imposing a rule where people must post some factual evidence, rather then just an opinion?

Not only would this make it hard for people to argue it would bring the intellectual level of conversation up greatly and we may produce some outcomes rather than keeping in this cycle of hatred, confusion and contrived opinion.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies
how about imposing a rule where people must post some factual evidence, rather then just an opinion?

According to the rule you just proposed ... your post no longer exists because it admittedly broke your own rule.

IMO

Facts are funny things. They CHANGE! What was a "known fact" or a 'given' 30 years ago, isn't necessarily the latest "fact" according to science or other discipline's experts.

So, a board without opinions and with facts that are only facts for today (until tomorrow's news or science changes these so-called facts) ... is a blank board.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam

Originally posted by IgnorantSpecies

According to the rule you just proposed ... your post no longer exists because it admittedly broke your own rule.

IMO

Facts are funny things. They CHANGE! What was a "known fact" or a 'given' 30 years ago, isn't necessarily the latest "fact" according to science or other discipline's experts.

So, a board without opinions and with facts that are only facts for today (until tomorrow's news or science changes these so-called facts) ... is a blank board.
Tell me the problems don't come from baseless and rudimentary opinion then.

People would be welcome to opinion so long as they are backed by fact or evidence.

Of course fact is subject to time but fact cannot evolve without critical thinking which is ruined by a cycle of baseless opinion.
edit on 4-4-2012 by IgnorantSpecies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Don't know about you, but I got to discussion forums to hear other's opinions, express my own, and for lively debate. If I wanted a factfest, I would pick up an encyclopedia or something.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I glad to hear this... ATS is a wonderful place and there are many folks on here who enjoy the refreshing opinions of others.
My opinion: Racist, bigoted, prejudiced and mean spirited people deserve not such a fine site.
Thank you owners and moderators.
Spirited discussions, sharing research, information and growing through others and some light hearted foolishness at no one's expense is tops.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by IgnorantSpecies

Don't know about you, but I got to discussion forums to hear other's opinions, express my own, and for lively debate. If I wanted a factfest, I would pick up an encyclopedia or something.
I have nothing against opinion as long as it is based on fact and not just an emotional response to a topic.

A lot of people will see something like a 9/11 truth video and due to patriotism respond with a preconceived idea that it is wrong without reviewing the facts.
For example this person may say: 'crazy commies'. You will see stuff like this on most threads regardless of topic.
This is the stuff that creates the cycle of hatred, racism and stupidity.

If these people are required to involve fact then you would see that people can actually have conversations and not just mud throwing matches.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by Drezden

That doesn't even make sense... Please go re-read the OP, if it still doesn't "make sense" then take a break from ATS.

No, really.

S...

Actually it makes sense... you just dont agree with it, which is fine, but it does make sense.

But its your "kitchen" and well.. you tell ppl who can smoke in the kitchen and who cant... or thats skeptical's kitchen... well, anyway, his idea makes sense.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Whenever you have a good thing going, everybody feels they need to be a part of it. I am glad it is being cleaned up, because it will get rid of alot of posts (and possibly posters) that are taking up too much room in here. I love a good open minded forum where I can be educated on peoples opposing views, but there have been so much "this is the way it is because I say so and you're an idiot, racist, bigot, homophobe, homosexual, (take your pick)" to even like navigating posts lately. Sorry if this seems "rambly" I'm tired and haven't posted in a while, and figured I chime in on this.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Curious... A recent thread popped up which was based on a lie. The OP lied several times in the thread and made up racist stuff. I alerted about it several times but nothing happened. So it stops now?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Okay, my apologies for my crazy dry "humor", I got bored. Would like to see some new topics that really make me go "Hrmmmm?". Peace! Xenongod

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Curious... A recent thread popped up which was based on a lie. The OP lied several times in the thread and made up racist stuff. I alerted about it several times but nothing happened. So it stops now?
Good example of how emotion and baseless opinion creates hatred, racism and stupidity.
If he had posted some facts there may have been a productive conversation..
But I am going to assume the thread ended up with a lot of fighting?

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Curious indeed. I just checked all the member generated alerts for the past three days and found none submitted by you. Perhaps if you tried again or sent me a PM with a link it would speed things up a bit.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
finally i'll be able not to hesitate to disclose my origins and country in the fear of being flamed and brought up specific historical stuff in that racist tone. or i'll no longer need to hide my sources, reluctance be gone, that's a good sign and a great leap sir. thanks.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamsession
finally i'll be able not to hesitate to disclose my origins and country in the fear of being flamed and brought up specific historical stuff in that racist tone. or i'll no longer need to hide my sources, reluctance be gone, that's a good sign and a great leap sir. thanks.
Where are you from?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join