It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**ALL MEMBERS** The recent surge in Hatred, Racism, and Sheer Stupidity STOPS NOW.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
ok, sounds reasonable, well i kindof expect it on this site

i think ive been good at trying to get my point accross without useing new a creative 4 letter words!!

oh, ive been real tempted to!!!

but ill keep your warning in mind

thanks springer

be safe people.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
"Is what I am about to post a genuine attempt at civil discourse/debate about the topic or, am I trying to scream at the world and force my personal beliefs down everyone else's throat?"

cool... 90% of religion threads will be gone, 90% of "I love gays you should love them too" will be gone also...

I like it.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The goal is noble.

Enforcement, however, is the difficult part.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

"Is what I am about to post a clever attempt at sounding like I am seeking honest, civil discourse/debate about the topic so I can claim innocence when my thread gets removed and I get banned or, is it truly my attempt at understanding and learning?"

Especially that...

I don't know about the racist threads, I never joined in. But it seems that a lot of imminent doom and gloom threads take this simplistic approach by OP of opening with some stupid long debunked evidence and then 250 replies of Hoax and Bunk where the OP shucks and jives their way around the crescendo, still claiming some kind of legitimacy. This I hope the mods will drop hammers on as well. I wanna explore evidence people bring, not just read eleven pages of chat room exchange.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

So we are removing the concepts of "Hate Speech" and "Political Correctness" from our efforts and we're replacing them with this simple concept, "Is this content good for ATS and our Community".

Going forward we'll be checking Opening Posts and Replies against that standard.

Just curious, but why just for the things that you deem to be politically sensitive (I know, to deep and your clicks get hurt), but why not use this on everything here. There are FAR MORE idiotic threads on here that are not "good for ATS and our community" compared to some racist or political hot buttons that your too scared to seriously discuss. Do you read your own website?

Should I spend 10 minutes and come up with 20 current threads that have nothing to do with your hot button issue that make us all look like morons, or does this just apply to things that that have to do with that never-to-be-touched subject of race?

All we are asking is for a little constancy for crying out loud, too much to ask without sacrificing clicks or what guys? YOUR SMARTER THAN THIS, THERE ARE PLENTY OF PLACES ONLINE WHERE I CAN GET THE WATERED DOWN VERSION OF WHAT PEOPLE WANT ME TO READ, HERE I GET THE EVERYMAN VERSION AND DECIDE FOR MY SELF. What ya scare of ATS?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Good. This site needs to go back to "is this content good for ATS".

All too often, the threads on this site degenerate into a spat of name calling, insults, and mud slinging. We need to get the threads back to being topical and interesting, please !

Can we also please go back to requiring legitimate sources for ALL threads, instead of all the "my neighbor, who wants to remain anonymous but works for the CIA, heard something at work the other day" nonsense?

I would actually support requiring TWO legitimate sources for all postings of new threads, it would make people do some real research before posting.

I almost gave up on this site a few months back, this new approach gives me some hope.
edit on 3-4-2012 by babybunnies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Originally posted by GuidedKill
Although I am really tired of all the threads concerning the subject and see the OP point.

I do find it odd that the only means to stop racism is censorship.

Censorship you say? Can't be further from the truth. This is a reaffirmation of what ATS wants to be for everyone, not just a pulpit for those that are only here to spread their hate. My guess would be that 95%, possibly higher, are in line with this. The vocal -5%. Sorry, not playing that game any more. ATS was and should be a place for anyone. Not a place to be contaminated by hatred and bigotry.

I wish you luck in a huge task.

Thanks. It's going to be interesting.

I laughed... really. You... saying this,,, wow. No censoring in here? I disagree and you, out of everyone else knows why...
Its our secret huh intrepid...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
It has been expressed in this thread that the approach being taken by the owner and moderators is a possible threat to freedom of speech and expression. I have a few brief comments regarding this.

First, it's important to acknowledge that some level of moderation is required. If ATS was wide open for anyone to post anything they want at all times, the site would quickly plunge into mayhem and would not be worth visiting. Therefore, a line must be drawn somewhere in order to preserve some order that keeps participation possible. Where that line is drawn is up to the owner, plain and simple.

As for freedom of speech, we're talking about one site out of millions where you have some rules to follow. In no way is anyone's true freedom of expression daunted by some T&C's. If your post gets deleted because it was deemed as hate speech, go write it in the snow and express yourself. Call your Congressman and ruin his day with your expression. You can express yourself in any number of ways in life, just not here and not in that way, per the directive of the owner.

I think if someone really has a strong problem with that and feels like they are being censored, they should obtain perceived liberation by going elsewhere.

To quote Walter in the Big Lebowski: "This is not Vietnam. There are rules."

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastProphet527

Originally posted by LastProphet527

I will never understand why this thread received a 122 flags on something that is clear and to the point.

124 now...wow.

154 and counting.

Hopefully this will signal a change for the better and improve the quality of the site, which is clearly desired by all who contribute on a regular basis.

I've been mod-spanked a time or two. Once was an extreme T&C for a post I didn't understand the reason for mod action, but it forced me to rethink my position, and then there were a few Off Topic posts which were clearly troll baiting on my part, but in the end I just shrugged my shoulders and got back to the topic as I should have been doing the whole time.

God gave us one mouth and two ears because we are supposed to listen twice as much as we talk...

But we have ten fingers

Well, some us do

Apologies to the digitally (finger-wise) challenged if I hath offended.
edit on 3-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: back to the what? oh, the topic, yeah that's it...

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by InTheFlesh1980
It has been expressed in this thread that the approach being taken by the owner and moderators is a possible threat to freedom of speech and expression. I have a few brief comments regarding this.

You want freedom of speech? Start a blog. You can say whatever you want.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I bet the owners aren't actually expecting to make a difference in the minds of those being spoken of.

Instead, I assume the owners are seeking to distance the website's reputation from the rhetoric for a key strategic reason in the marketplace. They don't want ATS to become known as "that racist website", which could prove very bad for business.

In some senses that could be interpreted as 'ATS might distance itself from its users opinions'

And in some ways, ATS could be much more liberal if it just placed a disclaimer saying 'all opinions expressed are based on individual user action and do not collectively represent ATS as a whole'

This could allow freedom of discussion and a little leverage under the protection of a disclaimer, whilst avoiding complications with advertisers.

But I could be wrong.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

we will be cleaning house where needed, we will be removing any new content that doesn't meet the criteria above, and we will be banning those who it is determined are here to use ATS as their personal racist, hater, ignorance spewing mega phone to the world.

ATS is already in a class of its own. This will only make it even better !!!

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by InTheFlesh1980

It almost certainly feels like this to me.

It's astounding just how much hatred has come thanks to incidents like the you-know-what-with-the-two-guys.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Does "What's best for ATS and the community" also mean that it could scale back because of a less than desirable element?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Back in the day on ATS Mark used what was called the "Ban Hammer" it was wielded on many occasions, and from the small ATS community, back then, it sent a strong message.

If memory serves me correctly, the "Ban Hammer" instances where noted as to why the member got booted. It didn't take long before the ATS community was back on track.

Maybe ATS needs a "Ban Hammer" Icon when a member gets booted, just like the warning signs now used. I personally think it will send a strong message and the buck will stop exactly where the trail ends.

Just a thought.
edit on 3-4-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

link   
ATS should follow our governments lead. Give fines for speech they don't like, tell people what they can and cannot say... censor and block...

Honestly.. ATS you are loosing it. Just do what Yahoo Answers does... allow people to thumbs down hateful comments, and after a comment gets 10 thumbs down for being racist or whatever.. make it so that it hides the comment, but still allows you to click a button to reveal the comment.. that way those who don't want to view racist or troll comments won't see them.. but the comments will still be viewable to those who click "show"

This also would put into perspective how many people are opposed to the racist or troll comment.. and reinforcing a positive atmosphere that people don't tolerate or agree with racism.

edit on 4/3/2012 by Drezden because: (no reason given)

link   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word. ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Thank You Springer...dedicated Staff also.

I've gotten to the point, I don't even click on certain subject threads, due to the overwhelming hatred expressed towards various segments of society. I've been guilty of getting involved in a couple of the mass media threads, but quickly learned it literally made me sick to my stomach, to read the vitriolic responses. What may have started as a possible debate, quickly morphed into a monster of hate and anger.

You are right, it's not good for the ATS community to harbor hatred. Ferret it out, the sooner the better.

Des

I was going to read everyone's responses before I chimed in, but I stopped on yours, you took the words off right off my keyboard. So a big ditto from me.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I absolutely love and adore this. *sigh of relief*

The internet is not a democracy. This is a privately owned web-site. I own a forum. On my forum my rules are the law. And that's how it should be. I'm glad the owners of this site aren't interested in allowing the spread of hate and ignorance.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by UnCommonRealization

Nobody is limiting the topics this applies to. Common sense goes a long way when considering things like this.

S...

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join