It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania Church Kidnaps Teens, Holds Them At Gunpoint As A 'Lesson'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

The Glad Tidings Assembly of God church in Middletown, Pa., has sparked outrage after a teaching exercise traumatized its youth group and left some with physical bruises, WHTM TV reports

A shaken 14-year-old told the station two men came into the room with guns, pulled pillow cases over some of their heads, and pushed them into a van.

The girl showed the station the bruises she suffered from the event, and claims the men laughed while she cried in the van.

Ummm....isnt this highly illegal? A mock kidnapping? In addition to that, some of the teens kidnapped suffered bruises in the event. Pretty serious stuff here.

It's actually quite serious," First Deputy District Attorney of Dauphin County Fran Chardo told the station in a separate report. "False imprisonment of a child, someone under the age of 18, is a second-degree felony punishable up to 10 years [sic] in prison."

Well, atleast the teens agreed to this 'lesson', right?.....Nope!

Since the teens never agreed to take part in the "lesson," church officials could be in legal trouble for the incident. WHTM also reported the man who "kidnapped" the teens was an off-duty cop, using a real, but unloaded, gun.

....Well then, I guess they learned their lesson and they will never do this again........Nope!

In the midst of potential legal ramifications, Andrew Jordan, the church's pastor, told WHPTV he will still continue to carry out this lesson, but he will ask for parental permission.

Here's a video that sums up the article.

What a horrible thing to do. I mean...what did the church expect? Did they expect the teens to say "Oh that was awesome, thanks for the lesson!"

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Yeah I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that if you aren't agreeing to the kidnapping, it's still kinda kidnapping. Sort of like rape.

The Glad Tidings Assembly of God

It always cracks me up when some group has a super positive happy name. Then again I suppose The Super Kidnappy Ultra Orthodox Rapey Church would have some issues with new membership.

Aware no one was raped.

WHTM also reported the man who "kidnapped" the teens was an off-duty cop, using a real, but unloaded, gun.

I hope he gets in some serious trouble. A cop of all people should know better. Brandishing, kidnapping, general douchebaggery.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
A little too close to the film "Red State" for my liking.

Better call John Goodman and look into buying a fire station siren.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
OMG how could they at the very least not think of getting the kids parents permission before?

How idiotic do you have to be? I have trouble comprehending the stupidity in this story...
edit on 2-4-2012 by Bixxi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticCryptid

BWAH ( this is an attempt at typing excitedly without caps)! I just saw that the other night. Yikes. Gave e the heebee jeebees.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
What exactly was this suppose to teach the kids?

How to be kidnapped? I mean, really what was the point?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MoosKept240

The claim was that it was to teach the kids about religious persecution in foreign countries. The pastor himself said (in response to the unwilling participants' awareness) that the people who suffer this kind of thing daily don't know that it's going to happen either (paraphrasing him).

So basically, it's teaching them that people get kidnapped.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

She says the pastor came out bloody, but Pastor John Lanes wasn't a victim, in fact he was a leader in what turned out to be a staged abduction to teach children about religious persecution.

Kind of would expect to see that on the same page huh? I don't get why they declined to mention WHY people were abducting kids, fake or not.

Link

"It's actually quite serious," First Deputy District Attorney of Dauphin County Fran Chardo told the station in a separate report. "False imprisonment of a child, someone under the age of 18, is a second-degree felony punishable up to 10 years [sic] in prison."

From OP's link. Yeah, doubt anything will happen because the girl is underage, the parents were probably fine with it and one was a cop. I still think charges should be brought. I don't trust a cop that commits felonies.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticCryptid

What a cruel thing to do.
I still don't fully grasp its purpose. Seems like a video or something would be sufficient.

reply to post by Domo1

I think what I posted above applies. Even a parent, why that extreme. Were they bad children? I mean, I knew when I was younger being kidnapped was a bad thing. I didn't need anyone to show me. I just don't really get it.

edit on 2-4-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2012 by MoosKept240 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
The Super Kidnappy Ultra Orthodox Rapey Church

Bahahaha, that really cracked me up! Thanks for that.

But, seriously, this story is really f-ed up. If someone did this to my son, church or not, I would be extremely pissed. They made them cry!! WTH? That's just sick. I missed what the lesson was that they were supposed to learn, though. How about don't trust your pastor or local cop with your kids, geez.

I see CrypticCryptid's post above now, missed it before. Still really messed up, especially since things like that DO happen every day for real. "Whats a good way to teach them about religious persecution and kidnapping, hmm , I know! Lets actually do it to them!" These teens are probably scarred for life.
edit on 2-4-2012 by ProjectBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Seems like a video or something would be sufficient.

I wonder what the pastors reasoning for this was? Maybe it went something like this.

Pastor - "I have an idea for our next lesson, lets teach the kids about religious persecution."
Aide - "Alright, I'll prepare a lecture on religious persecution for the next time we all meet".
Pastor - "No no...we need something that the kids will actually pay attention to. Something more entertaining than a lecture."
Aide - "Hmm, okay. Maybe I'll run down to the library and get a documentary video on this?"
Pastor - "Video? Are you serious? LoL !!! No! What kind of kids watch videos anymore? What we need to do, is make the lesson seem real."
Aide - "Real, sir? "
Pastor - "Yes, real. I mean really real.....I mean like kidnapping them. I have a police officer friend that will make sure it seems completely real, plus hes got a bunch of real guns to."
Aide - "Oh my god, that's horrible, and highly illegal!"
Pastor - 'So? Im 100% positive the kids will love it."
edit on 2-4-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

I would be curious to see if any of the parents would approve this......

Maybe they should have a new little check box next to the "are you ready to have kids" pamphlet that reads : To teach you child about religious persecution do you

(A) Show him/her a video

(B) Have a fake kidnapping, with a real gun

(c) Talk to your child

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   

Sooo..Let's traumatize the kids by kidnapping them by gunpoint in efforts to teach them a lesson about religious persecution? This 'lesson' teaches them nothing but fear. There is nothing about it that would serve them latter on. No skills where taught. Nothing gained but panic and terrified tears. This actions seems unbalanced with the goal...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   

Poor children. That is extremely traumatic to a child, thats too far for me. I bet the pastor or cop would think twice if they themselves knew what it felt like to be held at gun point, bagged over the head and thrown into a van. This is sick. Who in the hell honestly do these men think they are to 'teach' these lessons anyways. Karma please get them. Ugh, just sick. It does also remind me of that movie recently released. What men do in the name of the Lord is insane and this is an example.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   
This is messed up. It proves the christian God Yahweh is a mass-murdering psychopath.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsafirKamel
This is messed up. It proves the christian God Yahweh is a mass-murdering psychopath.

No. It just proves people do dumb things... Like jumping to wild conclusions.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Wait until Easter. They will nail the kids to a cross so they can know how Jesus felt, knowing that their parent(s) allowed it and let it happen.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   

That article is a joke.I'm guessing some parent who didn't approve of this went and cried to the local newspaper.I can't take sources seriously when I see "Watch : Terrifying Lindsay Lohan face Morph" next to it.

ETA :This is fear mongering at it's worst.OMG! YOUR CHILDREN ARE BEING ABDUCTED!!
More then likely some parent didn't agree with it and made a big stink.
edit on 2-4-2012 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

"Watch : Terrifying Lindsay Lohan face Morph" next to it.

That may actually be one of the more credible things spewed from the MSM as of late.

More then likely some parent didn't agree with it and made a big stink.

I think the parents are just as guilty as the faux nappers. Thing is, they should all probably be charged. I also wonder if what the parents signed up for was described accurately beforehand. Probably, but you never know.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrypticCryptid
A little too close to the film "Red State" for my liking.

Better call John Goodman and look into buying a fire station siren.

Yes it reminded me of that movie too. I'm not sure if that was based on a real event but I know that there were crazy people who kidnapped and killed people. There leader said he was a man of god and used this power to kill and use his followers for his benefit.
Again we see people who get carried away due to there religion. And the world asks why we don't go to church no more.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join