It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan's Jomon Older Than Sumerians

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Source

Chuo University associate professor Kenichi Kobayashi reporting that dating of cooked plants and beans, found in ruins in southwestern Japan, are 13,000 years old. Dishes and grain grinders made of stone have also been found at the Ojiyama ruins in the city of Miyakonojo.

Anthropologists believe the Jomon people survived the last Great Ice Age, their civilization is older than the Bronze Age Sumerians. The latest findings of preserved cooked food shows the diet of the Jomon was changing due to global warming.

Some researchers believe the Jomon might have built a sacred mountain site, near the Island of Yonaguni Jima, during the Ice Age. That site is now underwater. During the Ice Age it would have been above sea level, because sea levels were much lower during the Ice Age. There is debate whether the site was built by Jomon, or that it was a natural formation used by the Jomon.

The Jomon, like many ancient societies, viewed rocks and mountains as sources of spiritual power.

Well it has been a while since I have posted a thread and thought this would be good one to start off with.

I wonder if this being older than the Sumerians, will mean people will start believing we were "civilized before that time in our history?

It is a cool find and interesting to know that this was before the Sumerians.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Cool find.

Hopefully this puts the Annunaki and Ancient Alien theories to rest.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Very cool. I have never had a problem believing cultures existed before what most give credit. Although most that want to push the idea that those cultures had wicked tech and sharks with lasers on their heads are the ones I have issue with. Excellent find thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
its long been known in japan that the jomon culture is far older than any found in the west ...

good to see its finally starting to get some recognition outside of japan ....

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

Pottery from the Jomon period is quite amazing, and has led many to the Ancient Aliens theory.

www.e-yakimono.net...

edit on 1-4-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

I don't think that theory will every be put to rest mainly because the information is in the bible, but also because each time a new site is discovered it always point to the skies. I think the Annunaki should be referred to as those who come from above and not gods.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
Cool find.

Hopefully this puts the Annunaki and Ancient Alien theories to rest.

Would you care to explain that blanket statement?
I don't see much validity in your opinion.
'Seems like an off-the-top-of-the-head dismissal without substance.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187

I wonder if this being older than the Sumerians, will mean people will start believing we were "civilized before that time in our history?

The Jomon are older than your quote indicates, as they were making fired pottery in (IIRC) 14,000 BCE.

However, Sumer was still the first "civilization" that we know of.

This is because of the definition of civilization used by Anthropology, not because the Jomon (or anyone else) were inferior to the Sumerians. Your quote misuses the term "civilization," the Jomon are more correctly referred to as a "culture."

Harte

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
history as taught in schools around the world is a LIE!!!
edit on 2-4-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It may have been above sea level, but wouldn't it have been covered by, oh, let's say, ICE, during the last ice age?

Japan is pretty far North?

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saigon1914
reply to post by DaTroof

I don't think that theory will every be put to rest mainly because the information is in the bible, but also because each time a new site is discovered it always point to the skies. I think the Annunaki should be referred to as those who come from above and not gods.

The Bible is a collection of myths and legends, nothing more. To call the stories in The Bible "information" is laughable at best.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
is it just me or those jomon statues look like modern gray or insectoid aliens in some kind of spacesuit?
edit on 2-4-2012 by Picollo30 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Some researchers believe the Jomon might have built a sacred mountain site, near the Island of Yonaguni Jima, during the Ice Age. That site is now underwater. During the Ice Age it would have been above sea level, because sea levels were much lower during the Ice Age. There is debate whether the site was built by Jomon, or that it was a natural formation used by the Jomon.

I am wondering one thing here, is the Basis for Atlantis as a myth something that traveled West from Jomon, or would the news have just been sort of lost in Mistranslation and sorted out into what can be applied into mythology? I'll probably look up more at the article and dig in Aristotle's work, not that I plan to find a lot but I thought it would be interesting to point out. I mean ancient aliens is one thing, but history is a thing as much as it would be a verb.

en.wikipedia.org...

Two closely spaced pillars which rise to within eight feet of the surface; The "Loop Road", a 5 m (16 ft) wide ledge that encircles the base of the formation on three sides;

Instead of the Pillars of Hercules as we in the Western World think of the Straits of Gibraltar, perhaps the pillars would be literal, but as tall as the mythical Hercules these pillars would be moved by the strength of more than ten men.

The loop road might be a reference guide to those who live there, but in a similar idea to the concentric canals in the idea of Atlantis.

However since this is idle speculation on my part I'd admit it sounds so far-fetched I can hardly believe why I suggest.
edit on 2-4-2012 by Sachyriel because: no replies yet, merely updating

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Finding evidence of ancient culture would only broaden the scope of AA theory, IMO. E further back in history you go, according to archeology, the less advanced we as a race were. That being the case, why do we keep finding evidence of highly advanced tooling, highly advanced machining, and highly advanced knowledge of geometry and astronomy? Gobleke Tepe, Machu Pichu, Yonaguni... These places can't be sufficiently explained by modern archeologists, therefore further study is needed. But over and over and over again, it appears to me, that someone, or something we didn't quite understand as alien, in history, has come down, shared information with different people on our planet, taken their things and left again.

Japan in particular has several historical accounts where saucer or egg shaped vehicles came from the sky, or came from the sea and had a person who was not human inside of it. These people were humanoid, and similar to us, and usually were carrying what was described as a head in a box. However the boxes depicted didn't look like traditional head boxes that were used by the Japanese. They were much longer, and thought to contain information and knowledge. This is known as the account of Ustero Bune' and there are several variants of it.

The Chinese also have similar myths about dragons that come from the sky breathing fire and contain people in their bellies... And their bellies glow like fire contained within. One could make a comparison of these ancient accounts to modern UFO sightings and the parallels are easy to see.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Great find! S&F

So..... the Jomon are now academically speculated to have been a pre-ice age culture that survived the glacial melt, which submerged their megalithic monument at Yonaguni?

This is a great find, and it further corroborates this theory:

Trade Professional (RE: Ancient Monuments): "I can not build even one wall. Here's a theory"

Peace.

edit on 4/2/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by babybunnies

The Bible is a collection of myths and legends, nothing more. To call the stories in The Bible "information" is laughable at best.

I have no intentions of derailing this topic. But I would be willing to go point , counterpoint to how wrong that statement is. It's that attitude towards ancient texts that is part of the reason modern humans today seem fairly clueless as to where they came from.

Another forum or thread, for another time.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

www.e-yakimono.net...

Is this sculpture supposed to depict a female alien or a female Jomon?
edit on 3-4-2012 by Nurelic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I think they were wearing anti snow glow glasses.

Don't they look like Dogon statues?

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Hmm this is a bit of synchronicity for me. For some reason I remembered hearing about the lost continent of Mu some years ago and decided to research it a bit more. Supposedly, it was in the Pacific Ocean, but lost somehow, kind of like the stories of Atlantis we hear. There is speculation (of course) about whether it was real or not. In a thread here on ATS, someone posted that it might have been the remnants of the Jomon culture that was found, not from Mu. I never heard of the Jomon until a couple days ago while researching Mu, and here is another mention of it. Neat when that happens.

posted on Apr, 7 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
very cool find

top topics

<<   2 >>

join