It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ruler of the World Writing Contest [WRC][Winners announced]

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
You are the Ruler of the World.

pic source

Yay for you!

All the wars have been won and you have been appointed (or appointed yourself) as the supreme authority over the entire globe. You might announce yourself god-like stature, as has been the usual historical way, or just stay a mortal and begin the process of kingship, handing your lofty position to kin.

Whichever form of rule you've decided on, an unwelcome challenge awaits you.

Now that all the combined forces are under your command, how will you handle the inevitable insurrections which will pop up early in your reign?

How will you handle us, the fractuous multitudes numbering above seven billions?

Will you use your supreme power as a bloody cudgel or do you see a way to finally bring a global peace.

And, best of all, how will you avoid this (?), the wagging finger of Fate:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed.
And on the pedestal these words appear:
`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

www.online-literature.com...

All T&C's apply

Title must contain [WRC]

Enter as many stories as you like, but post them as seperate threads in the Short Story forum.

No upper or lower word count limits

Any writing form acceptable

There will be three winners chosen, based solely on the number of flags their story receives from your fellow members.

The contest runs until midnight, April 30 and the winners announced the following morning of May 1.

Winners only will get writer status, 5 'applauses' each and included in the Showcase of Winners.

edit on 1/4/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/5/12 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Wow, you picked a severely hard topic to write about, as only the megalomaniacs want to be as such. I checked earlier today, and saw no replies, and was hhhmmm. I waited til now to comment.

Nobody wants to rule the world, it's a darned headache. Heck, the POTUS can't even run a country.

BUAHAHAHA.

The logistics of such an endeavor are quite beyond me, but as a story I'll work a tiny thought I had years ago, and perhaps produce something semi-palatable.......

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by masqua

Wow, you picked a severely hard topic to write about, as only the megalomaniacs want to be as such. I checked earlier today, and saw no replies, and was hhhmmm. I waited til now to comment.

Nobody wants to rule the world, it's a darned headache. Heck, the POTUS can't even run a country.

BUAHAHAHA.

The logistics of such an endeavor are quite beyond me, but as a story I'll work a tiny thought I had years ago, and perhaps produce something semi-palatable.......

C'mon, get that inner Overlord Hive Mind Megalomaniac Tyrant out....

Hope that gives you a few choice words to start out, looking forward to the challenge.

Already a few ideas in the works. stay tuned

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
First entry HERE.....WHEW!

Gotta re-think a bit.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Sometimes the greatest test of ability is to place oneself outside of the comfort zone.

Yes... this is a difficult theme, particularly in that it requires the author to choose not only the world they'd like to see for themselves, but also with consideration towards the welfare of all humanity. If that was not enough, the author also needs to confront some hard choices. I'm sure if we think about the situation, we could come up with a few daunting challenges because there are things which divide people that armies and police cannot control.

Unless, of course, a bloodbath unlike anything the world has ever seen is the way the author wants to go.

edit on 1/4/12 by masqua because: grammar

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I want this in my profile ........ I am taken off for good this is mine now.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Here is my first entry. I haven't written in a long time so we will see how this goes. I am looking forward to doing more writing, exspecially with the ATS contests like this. Although challenging I think I did ok for a first in a long time. I will keep at it and hopefully produce a few more throughout the month.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
I took a shot at this one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
OK, here goes with the first one of the new competition.

Can already see I'm in for some gauntlet throwing competition...

The Man Who Would Be King [WRC]
edit on 2-4-2012 by 74Templar because: failed link

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I wrote another one with a little different spin on things. It's good to be writing again. I forgot how much I enjoy it.

Just When You Thought Peace Has Been Achieved[WRC]

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Second entry, All Your Base Are Belong To Us. In this one I explored some ideas of being in charge, not heartless, but fair. Meh.

I'm still getting used to the topic, and have yet to come up with something violent, evil, and full of mayhem. This next batch of thoughts should produce something like that.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Second entry on the board, enjoy.

The ending is a little dark, be forewarned...

The Lament Of Joe Guggins [WRC]

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
My third entry. This time I chose to show a lighter side of the story.

Your 4D World Has Arrived. [WRC]

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Here is my little addition to the pile

It is I, your supreme leader.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

What are the rules regarding edits?

If I decide to enter, I'm sure I would pour over my post with vigour looking for errors before entering it... but what about additions/subtractions etc...

If it's based on peer popularity I would assume aside from correcting simple (overlooked) spelling errors, it's post-it-and-leave-it ?? (ie: to counter "expanding" on ideas should your initial post become obviously popular, in order to gain additional votes)

or am I being fussy

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
These are the words of Sargon: Is plagiarism acceptable?

The black-headed peoples I ruled, I governed; mighty mountains with axes of bronze I destroyed. I ascended the upper mountains; I burst through the lower mountains. The country of the sea I besieged three times; Dilmun I captured. Unto the great Dur-ilu I went up, I ... I altered ... Whatsoever king shall be exalted after me, ... Let him rule, let him govern the black-headed peoples; mighty mountains with axes of bronze let him destroy; let him ascend the upper mountains, let him break through the lower mountains; the country of the sea let him besiege three times; Dilmun let him capture; To great Dur-ilu let him go up.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

If an edit is required, send me a pm and we'll work it out.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelbrux

Plagiarism, when detected, will be vaporized immediately.

*poof*

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
this is going to be a hard contest without allowing just a little plagiarism...

i've read a few things written by Kings and Emperors and such of the past and a person that had in fact conquered the world would speak with a voice that sounds like thunder and their words would strike the hearts of men like lightening bolts.

it will interesting to read the entries...great thread.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join