It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ruler of the World Writing Contest [WRC][Winners announced]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Interesting..

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelbrux
reply to post by masqua

pretty strict rules...nevertheless, it'll be amusing to see which entry wins. I read one that was posted yesterday... uninspiring is what I'd call it.

i want to read an entry that'll make me feel like submitting to the authority of the author.

we'll see what happens...great thread, OP.

Perhaps instead of being uninspired by amatuer writers who have fun with a difficult topic just to get their passion for writing out to other writers of a like mind, perhaps you could be the person you describe.

The rules are just there to a) keep the discussion civilised, and b) challenge a writer to step up and step outside the norm to create something that might just be great.

I look forward to your entries, but won't be tearing them down for the sake of it. I have too much soul for that.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by masqua

Plagiarism is a crime. It's cheating. Why would members try to create a story merely from all the quotes from all the famous Rulers throughout history. However, isn't there a statue of limitations?

I have to agree. It is no less than insulting the knowledge something you have poured your creativity into with someone else's name at the bottom.

The problem is that at some point, in some fashion, this has all been done before. You could read any work and see a correlation of another work in some fashion. It's putting a new spin on an old design that sometimes draws the reaction of the reader. The problem is with a subject such as this, there's a limiited number of ways you can go with it. My initial reaction to "what would you do if you ruled the world" was "I'd be very bored, because there's nothing left to do."

Taking ideas and suggestion from those who seek to rule and putting a unique or new perspeective on it is the way it should be done, not directly taking those ideas and putting them down as gospel.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Actually I am a female. I left the name anonymous due to wanting the scenario to focus on the story as opposed to who was writing it, or who put themselves in the leader position, I thought with me wanting to express more positives then negatives, some out there would attribute it to me being a female, and dismiss the story

NRE

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Very well said.

There is not a Koontz, King, Twain, nor Shakespeare among us. This is a hobby, a chance to step outside the mundane lives we may have, and diverge into the realm of our own imagination, with a topic to focus upon.

Does that make us losers? Well, I could be spending countless hours playing my son's 360, killing zombies in Left4Dead 12, whatever, but I prefer composing words into sentences, and building paragraphs to make something that is only born from random thoughts within my mind.

To me, that is reward enough.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

My bad, and I apologize. Darn those non-gender specific avatars and user names, they get me everytime. There was one point in time when I thought masqua was female, but I asked, and stood corrected. It's kinda embarrassing, actually.

posted on Apr, 4 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

No apology necessary, the only reason most know that I'm female is because they've heard me on ATS Live

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I so want to write a story,but every time I attempt to start,Piers Anthony Bio of a Space Tyrant,keeps getting in the way of my thoughts!

Wish all you fellow writers,Good Luck!!

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by 74Templar

There is not a Koontz, King, Twain, nor Shakespeare among us.

that sounds like a challenge...

-TF
edit on 5-4-2012 by ThoughtForms because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I just want to point out to anyone ripping on the participants of this or any creative writing threads on ATS that a little site called poetry.com which claims "7 million poets will review your work" has poems displayed on the home page with an average of 1 review.

whats the point? the point is you're better off posting here if you want real praise and useful critique. these threads and the members that post here are a very special thing...

-TF

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ThoughtForms

So very true. Unlike a lot of other forums where your opinions are attcked for being so, the SS forum seems to be one of the last friendly bastions here.

The single biggest comment you see is "this is my first piece, go easy one me." Putting your work out there for a completely unkown audience to see and comment on is a daunting decision to make the first time around.

The good thing is, it attracts like-minded people who will not only praise, but give good honest guidance as to how to be better at something people who post here are clearly already good at, and it gives the community the confidence to keep coming back with better and newer ideas, instead of being shut down and criticised.

Each time I post a new piece I look forward to the comments, even if they are critiques, but nothing boils my blood more than someone (particularly someone who will not post their own works for comparison) just stopping by, saying all the work is just crap, and then flitting away without offering something to make the writers want to return, let alone lift his or her game and write a better story each time. It is really destructive, and something that has the potential to push avid writers-to-be away, rather than encouraging them.

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Work in progress here, but I'm excited about this story. I plan on making it an epic piece. This is the most work I've done on a work of fiction for...well, a long time. Come join me on the epic journey.

Hopefully I can use the world I've created in future writing contests.

Let the Games Begin [WRC]

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
Work in progress here, but I'm excited about this story. I plan on making it an epic piece. This is the most work I've done on a work of fiction for...well, a long time. Come join me on the epic journey.

Hopefully I can use the world I've created in future writing contests.

Funny that I am doing the same as well. I'm workin on a doosey myself. Been a while since I wrote fiction as well. Good Luck to you and Semper Fi.
edit on 5/4/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It's not often that I'm disturbed by the things that pop out of my head. I blame all of you.

My humble offering -- Mama [WRC].

Now off to read all the skilled writings -- I didn't want to be influenced.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here is one from me and I hope you like it and I also hope I did the link Right.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Okay.
Here's mine.

I didn't read anyone else's before I wrote this. I didn't want the good writers here perhaps influencing my story.

But I'll read them now.

I hope you enjoy mine.

beez

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I've read 4 so far. I'm impressed at the varied ways the theme has been interpreted.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If anyone who is interested in my story wants to know, the finale is being worked on and the next post will be the end of the story. Well, except for the epilogue that will come afterwards.

If you haven't checked it out. You should totally do so now. I've put a lot of hard work in to this and I want people to enjoy it.

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
LOL...

May The Goddes Forgive Me [WRC]

As your future ruler, for now, I merely request stars and flags....

Vote and vote often

posted on Apr, 6 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Here's my paltry story !

So many good ones out there at the moment.

Enjoy.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join