It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coffee Makes Hard Workers Lazy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Coffee Makes Hard Workers Lazy, Rat Study Suggests

What separates a hard worker from someone who does the bare minimum? New research suggests they have different ways of approaching tasks: The hard worker thinks more about the reward at the end, while the slacker seems to focus more on the effort needed.

However, the research, which was conducted on rats, also reveals a twist: Stimulants like amphetamines seem to flip those approaches. "The workers are choosing fewer of the hard trials, and the slackers are choosing more of the hard trials," said study researcher Jay Hosking, a graduate student at the University of British Columbia.

Caffeine also turns hardworkers into slackers, but doesn't make lazy rats into productive superstars the way amphetamines do. The results of the study appear today (March 28) in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology.

It's funny. I've always asserted to others that coffee has a calming effect on me and even makes me sleepy. Often people look at me like I'm nuts when I say this.

Now I have the science to back me up.

edit on 31-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Coffee brings about the same reaction in me.
I suffer from insomnia (my thoughts are always like a whirlwind,
making it hard for me to still my mind long enough to doze off),
and I'll often times drink coffee in order to get some rest.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Kind of makes sense because after the java wears off the body is left tired from being overworked.So when that second cup is done in the first hour of the morning the employee is lazy and can't perform the regular task for the day.......Just an input.All I know is that it makes me clean pipe's after the first sip

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Those rats ancestors haven't been drinking coffee for four generations. Finnish rats should have been used for testing.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Either way, Im still gonna have my 3 cups of SOMA in the morning.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
So I just keep wondering how long before employers BAN coffee?

Can't have the workforce be all lazy and crap. Not good for the widget production.

edit on 31-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
coffee makes me sleepy

tea (lipton, not green) makes me perky/insomiac

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

It's funny. I've always asserted to others that coffee has a calming effect on me and even makes me sleepy. Often people look at me like I'm nuts when I say this.

You're not nuts, I know how that goes lol.
Not only does it make me lazy during the day, it keeps me up during the night.
I've been drinking a lot of natural tea lately instead so i can slowly quit coffee, for a while (:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

I would not enjoy being immune to, or catalyzed to sleep by, caffeine. I find that caffeine helps me to resist my normal desire to nap during the day. If I didn't need to work, I would take a nap instead. Could I simply "will" myself awake? I am sure that I could if my job was more physically challenging, but my day usually does not become more physically active than basic exercise and stretching.

Each form of conduct has it's minor freedom and massive bondage. I accept that and am looking forward to my work-day coffee tomorrow (Sunday is the first day of my workweek) and the day's first set of pull-ups.

My opinion of studies that resemble this one is very poor, but it is still interesting to note the massive lack of wisdom that exists to both give need to the pursuit of this knowledge and also to satiate that need.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Coffee contains caffeine and a natural antidepressant which is an organic fluoride. If your fluoride levels are high it will make you lazy. If they are low it will make you calmer and more able to think rationally and work efficiently. The caffeine just accentuates things. Caffeine is created by a plant in an evolutionary response to the doping effects of fluoride in the soils so it can thrive in it's environment. they go good together. Don't eat cilantro if you drink a lot of coffee or tea because you're fluoride levels will go too high. Tea toddlers usually consume smaller amounts of tea than coffee drinkers because tea has more fluoride. Organic fluorides are craved by people because they want to get along and be sociable. Doctors told us to quit drinking coffee and now everyone gets prescriptions for Paxil and Prozac.
They were BS'ed by Businesses that would profit from coffees disappearance from our diets. Coffee has now almost become a panacea of medicine with it's health benefits outweighing it's bad points by ten fold.
Now, armed with this knowledge, our government would just get rid of that inorganic fluoride in our water we could get back to normal. They have been tricked too. If you get over fluoridated it could mean you are low on minerals because fluoride slows down the uptake of minerals in the body. Drinking too much coffee or tea is no good either. I use about half the grounds it calls for on the can when I make my coffee. Throw in a pinch of Epsom salts and it tastes a little better. Most people are deficient in Magnesium. That makes brittle bones.

Here's a site to show people the levels of organic fluorides in foods. Processed foods have inorganic fluoride in them from using fluoridated water in processing. Fluoride is an ion and attaches to things. Too much of any fluoride causes hydrogen fluoride to be created in the stomach and screws up the Mucosa in the guts. Organic fluoride also keeps the bacteria from overpopulating in the gut. So much good and so much bad. I guess we were warned when we were young. Everything in moderation. www.fortcollinscwa.org... At the top of the page there is a link for the full article. Notice the fluoride levels in bottled water, they seem higher than most well water. Are they getting them from springs with high fluoride levels? Maybe, like I said people crave fluoride to be sociable. Without it we would be crabby.

Keep the Fluoride consumption at the right levels in your body to keep you feeling friendly and sociable. Monitor your foods and drinks yourself and remember the mineral deficiency that can occur. Enjoy your coffee knowing that you are self meditating yourself with the best possible medicine available.
edit on 1-4-2012 by rickymouse because: Had to change tap water to well water

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

And that basically explains why showing love at work gets one further than relying on substances for a constant fix of energy. Getting back and creating!

:dance:

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Nice post. I am curious as to it's scientific verity, but at face value it is very enlightening.

It should also be said that all foods and drinks are medicines.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Understand what happened in the USA when England raised the price of tea and people couldn't afford it? Revolution. The effects of Fluoride have been known for a real long time. The English are mello people, maybe they should get their young to understand and drink tea or coffee. I wonder if coffee should be subsidized by the government
You can tell I am a coffee addict hey.
edit on 1-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Well it doesn't make me lazy-in fact you won't see me do any work until I have had at least one cup of coffee.
I need that jolt in the mornings..

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Whats this? Blasphemers of the Java!!!!??

edit on 1-4-2012 by Jordan River because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Give adderall to someone without ADHD and see what happens. My oldest some was so hyperactive as a kid, when I met my wife he was on medication. We weaned him off as a teenager making him a hyper adult. Now he has discovered coffee. He calms himself with a cup of java. A cup before bed and he is able to sleep.
I wonder if any studies have been done on this???

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
All this talk about coffee has caused me to want a cup. So I'm brewing some up as we speak. Thanks guys!!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Science or not, I don't believe it.

I drink at least a half pot of coffee a day, and usually more. I start the day about 430am and after a piss, I put on the coffee. I have a cup before breakfast,a cup with breakfast, a cup on the way to work.. and these are not small cups, but mugs of joe.

Then I reheat the coffee from the morning while I am out feeding the farm animals and come in for a cup. By then it is about 6pm. I then do a few chores and fence mending and odds and ends and then it is time for supper. Then I have a cup with dessert or with some cookies while I kick back here on ATS.

I have been drinking coffee for decades and can keep up with or out work guys half my age. You don't have a farm and be a successful farm store manager by being lazy or just going through the motions.

Coffee is my go juice and I like it strong and black... I just hold the cup up and it jumps into my mouth. The other day I was burning brush piles as a rain front moved in before daylight, then I moved a gate, and then I ate breakfast with my wife, we walked a fence line and talked, and then I got ready for work and went into the store and closed up that night about 9pm....

I think I had a whole pot that day.

posted on Apr, 3 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The first few days of work this week I didn't indulge in either tobacco or caffeine. I have altered my mind in almost every single way imaginable on this planet so I now know the best way to balance my consciousness with that of all the people I see and talk to every day is to be substance free, so I only drink energy drinks at certain times. Kinda meticulous in my approach to life these last five months lol.

So today, I put this theory to the test, and while I can't say it made me lazy it sure as hell made me want to be lazy instead of enjoying the tasks at hand fervently. I had one cup of coffee and one cream soda at lunch and a bunch of good food, and I broke my own rules today of not enjoying any tobacco while at work twice!! by the time I had realized It was against my rules I had already a cigar in my hand and was like "why did I buy this!!" Lol!!

So yes, coffee helps one become a purposeless slave driven by the energy of others where as a loving vibration has the opposite effect and helps me to take orders from noone while happily co-existing.

You just gotta be there,,

top topics

join