It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP!!! Cyber bullying occur NOW!!! How do I stop it???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
I logged onto my Facebook account a couple of minutes ago and saw something that has me so enraged I'm shaking.

Someone posted a photo of a teenaged girl with the title "Like If You Look Better Than Her.". I don't know what's more disgusting: the fact that someone posted this or the fact that 53,000 people hit like.

This young woman is an adolescent. Remember what a painful time that was? And now some #%

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Let me ask you a question.

What if there was a photo circulating about your child? What if, in the comments section, your child read things like "That's the ugliest person I've ever seen," or "Are you sure its human." or "If I looked like that I'd kill myself.". You don't think this is real bullying? That such comments could really hurt this young woman?

Would it still be funny?

Make no mistake. This is bullying.

On a more positive note: picture is off Facebook (at least the part I see). So thank you to everyone who suggested it.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by bastardo

Ive seen the same video! Thats hilarious! Shes so fat and cant sing!
www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Let me ask you a question.

What if there was a photo circulating about your child? What if, in the comments section, your child read things like "That's the ugliest person I've ever seen," or "Are you sure its human." or "If I looked like that I'd kill myself.". You don't think this is real bullying? That such comments could really hurt this young woman?

Would it still be funny?

Make no mistake. This is bullying.

On a more positive note: picture is off Facebook (at least the part I see). So thank you to everyone who suggested it.

I would explain to my daughter that the world is full of morons and people who are so insecure about themselves they constantly point out flaws in others hoping their flaws aren't brought up...

I wouldn't need to explain to my daughter what was being said was simply "not true" because as a parent I would make damn sure she was well aware of her value.

I would end by explaining to my daughter that the best way to fight the people "bullying' her is to ignore them and leave them to their idiocy. Any attention you give what they say is their fuel. They are looking to get under your skin, and by letting them you are rewarding their behavior...this doesn't make them stop.

In the end my daughter won't be affected by trash talking bullying to the point she's crying over Facebook posts that don't even involve her...she will move on with her life and focus on things that are of importance. Her world won't fall apart the next time someone criticizes her negatively. She won't see a "meanie" behind every corner lurking in every shadow...

Oh and I will teach her how to raise her longest finger to anyone who would stop her from thinking she is of value and accomplishing everything she wants in life. But she will not waste her time or anyone else's time with fruitless crusades against those who simple aren't worth the effort...

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Your daughter is very blessed to have a parent to take the time to explain these life truths to her. That's wonderful.

Sadly, not every child has a parent like you. I see it every day at school. Sad fact, but there it is.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
All the 'life ifs'' I've seen on my news feed are more 'if beautiful'' so I would start one with the same pic and try to push that so if she finds the offensive one maybe she sees the other one too...hopefully with more likes than the other. You might be surprised how many people randomly 'like if you think this is beautiful'' especially with a brief description...prob is she isn't the only one targeted like this. You can try to help her but this will still be a thing people do.

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Sly1one

Your daughter is very blessed to have a parent to take the time to explain these life truths to her. That's wonderful.

Sadly, not every child has a parent like you. I see it every day at school. Sad fact, but there it is.

Unfortunate but true that some kids don't have the support they need to overcome. My brother in law has started up a program called Bully Management

here is the official web site Bully Management

The focus is to bridge that gap that unfortunately exists in young kids lives. The goal is strictly victim based giving the victim ALL the support and resources they need while leaving the "bullies" to their sad insecure lives...the bullies are ignored.

Identified bully victims are given enough support to know that there are people out there who aren't bullies and are willing to befriend them and teach them bully management skills to deal with their adversity and overcome it a stronger person.

I agree the victims need support but the bullies need to be left alone in exile of ANY attention.

If you truly feel this girl in the Facebook issue is destroyed and not speculating on how YOU WOULD feel...then you can possibly refer her to BM, unfortunately BM isn't international yet and we mostly only handle local cases in schools etc...but maybe there is something Facebook user wise that BM could do to help this girl feel like she has the world behind her.

edit to add: the support comes from volunteer work from people who have resources and believe in the cause. For example I volunteer my resources as an experienced exercise/fitness trainer and get victims in physical shape to feel confident about themselves (if they are lacking). The resources we have volunteering for the cause are awesome and a LOT of them are MMA fighters who they themselves were bullied in high-school.
edit on 31-3-2012 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42
reply to post by smyleegrl

Wow...

I dont think this girl (who you dont know) would want you calling attention to her situation and defending her without her knowledge.

Maybe she's in on it... MAYBE she doesn't care... you dont know. Yet, ur crying and reporting to the Facebook staff because your overly sensitive and dont like what you see.

mind you own business, and get your head out of your own @ss. What a lame excuse to make a thread.

lahoo-zehure

I'd rather have someone who over reacted then did nothing only to look on the news later and see that this girl committed suicide because some anonymous person online tried to be funny.
Its a serious problem thats been going on for a while and only recently is getting brought to the attention of the mainstream. Im going to guess its been a long while since you were at school.

I don't even know what else to say to you with out including some insults so im just going to end with

Thanks op for not being like ClydeFrog42

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I see it's been taken care of, but what you could have done is made a new page with her picture saying, "like if you think she is beautiful" and get a bunch more people to like it than the other page.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42
reply to post by Skepticesque

lol, a string of meaningless insults? classy, coming from the guy charging people with a "middle school" mentality.

Who am i? Who are you? Is this helping, a bunch of people who dont even know her having a public discussion about how she's a victim? is she a victim? how the hell do you know?

you dont. and thats all i have said. Your so self-righteous... you cant even see that. In your delusions, you think that I am the one making assumptions... while the rest of you talk about this girls situation as if you know whats best for her or as if your helping.

Heres a tip: neither of those things are true. You have no idea if she cares, your not helping (at all), yet you have a heated discussion about how sorry you feel for her.

what a bunch of BS. I couldn't care less what you have to say about me, after seeing you demonstrate your idiocy by making moronic assumptions about a picture on facebook.

@ overly-sympathetic moralistic ATS wingnuts. Get... over...... yourself!

I think you have totally missed the plot. The point of the thread was to ask for help! Your rants don't help. If you know how to help - then help. Otherwise - button it up.

ATS is a site that is there for everyone to use. I would hope that by joining ATS ..... and if I needed help on anything ..... it would be given. If my house was on fire ....... and I posted ATS for help on what to do ...... I would hope somebody would tell me to get out ...... NOT abuse me for posting about a topic that they didn't agree on.

Or maybe I am wrong. Maybe some on ATS have developed the same mentality as is shown on the movie "Idiocracy". You should watch that movie ..... I think you would fit in quite nicely.

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
or perhaps ATS is being taken over by a bunch of overly PC net warriors who wish to white-knight everything into oblivion.

perhaps

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
People say mean things, in real life and in the internet. On the internet there are things called trolls, ignore them. Feeding them gives them power. This is internet 101.

I;ve been on the internet since around age 8 or so, un-supervised, now 20. There hasn't been one time where a troll seriously bothered me to the point of suicide. If a child is willing to kill themselves over what pixels say on a screen, they have severe underlying psychological issues and other problems in their lives that you couldn't help without knowing them.

Since you seem to know nothing about this situation other than some random photo how can you make an assessment?
For all you know the girl in the picture is a bully getting re-bullied and so forth. Its just all sort of silly to get invovled in teenage girls cattiness on the webs.
edit on 1-4-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Not everyone is thick skinned like you. Some people suffer from low self confidence/low self esteem in addition to maybe bullying otherwise. For some people this might be what finally tips them over. And you cant just say it is just "pixels" on the screen when this is TENS OF THOUSANDS of real human beings attacking you over a photo, saying you should kill yourself, how ugly you look and so on.

But I guess by your logic they deserve it if they have some mental issues?

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hello ATS,

The point of this thread was to ask how to take care of the problem on Facebook. It's been taken care of, thanks to some great advice. Thank you to those who offered suggestions.

Some folks on this thread have accused me and others of being self-righteous, egotistical, right wing nuts overreacting over nothing. That's okay. You are entitled to your opinion and it doesn't bother me. But I'm an adult, with an adult's life experiences to draw on.

As has been suggested, I do not know the young lady in the picture. I do not know the circumstances involved. Perhaps she posted the photo herself? Perhaps she was unaware of the photo? Perhaps she could care less? Maybe to all.

But there's more to consider. The photo and caption were bad enough. Remember those awkward teenage years? Girls, generally speaking, are already sensitive to their appearance. To have an insulting photo circulating Facebook with a rude caption... That's potentially devastating. To see that 50,000+ people agreed with the photo- can you imagine how that would feel? Then there were the incredibly rude and hateful comments on the picture.

I've worked with children and teens my entire adult life. I've seen the problems bullying can cause. Which is the reason I asked for help. Maybe it was not needed. But maybe it was. I'd prefer to err on the side of caution than to stand by and do nothing. Who knows how things might turn out.

Since the photo has been removed from Facebook per the suggestions here, I requested the thread be closed. That was several hours ago, and the thread is still here. I don't know if it will be closed or not, but its accomplished it's goal.

To those of you who offered advice, thank you. You're willingness to help someone who might have been in trouble was refreshing

To those who offered ridicule and scorn, thank you. Nothing could remind us of the bullying mindset than some of the responses you shared.

Happy Sunday to all,

smylee

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

right wing nuts overreacting over nothing.

For a teacher, you sure could use a lesson in reading.

I'm here to help!.. you get over yourself

Be not confused, my child, you are making a big deal out of something menial and stupid that does not concern you.

And while you might think it does concern you, and that you must take the frontline in the hopeless fight against facebook... No. Bad timmy, thats a bad timmy!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join