It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FDA Deletes 1 Million Signatures for GMO Labeling Campaign

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the FDA has been bought and paid for, for years, along with the DEA, USDA, AMA and many others, i'm unsure why this is a surprise to anyone.
edit on 30-3-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

I just went to the FDA website and left a message... here is the link where I left my comment....
Lets overload their servers with a million comments

FDA comments

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Too bad the guy who fills the vending machines at the FDA headquarters didn't put a label on the food there that says "Product may contain human excrement". Now they can get a taste of their own medicine.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monsatan
Ok, ok, they want to play hardball, let's play hardball. Before tactics change we need to hit me again.(lol reference to my name)...I was on that petition for Christ sake, the bastards just pissed off the wrong man

If 394 pages of signatures isn't enough that's fine, let's have a million pages of signatures, one per page. Yeah, poor trees, but if they keep up business as usual Monsanto will own the patents to the trees. So before they get a chance to get ready to change their tactic, let's play their game of semantics and show them we aren't going anywhere.

We had a million signatures. What if this little stunt got another half mil of support? You think they would pull this crap anymore?
I'm off to make some calls
Ty op

raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawr
edit on 30-3-2012 by Monsatan because: (no reason given)

Hard ball? The next petition needs to read BAN Monsanto. Like you said, a million pages, one signature per page. Maybe include life sentences without the possibility of parole for the "counters" of the last petition.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Here is the "Just Label It" website for those that would like to join the petition.

Tell The FDA
Over one million people have contacted the FDA and told them we have a right to know what's in our food. Become part of this growing movement and join them today. Sign this petition to the FDA and make sure your voice is heard!
I joined as I feel strongly about labeling our food. Say "NO" to GMO!

Here is a video from that site I thought I would embed here.

edit on 3/30/2012 by Devino because: Added Video

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
Too bad the guy who fills the vending machines at the FDA headquarters didn't put a label on the food there that says "Product may contain human excrement". Now they can get a taste of their own medicine.

I might add that this is a fictional scenario and no products have been tampered with. You can bring back the vending machines and call off the investigation. Just words on the internet, funny how people take such drastic action. Maybe take some drastic action and protect the American people from our food and drugs.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Thank you for bringing this topic here so we can read what's going on. I am against GMO products for several reasons and my hope has been that more people would stand with me on this issue. The skeptic in me had a little trouble with your source as it was poorly written so I did a search and found other articles on this subject.

Chicago Tribune
Examiner.com

Here is an exert from Just Label It.org

Studies show that more than 90% of Americans support mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. Yet for twenty years we have been denied that right. While our reasons for wanting to know what’s in our food may vary, what unifies us is the belief that it’s our right. Without labeling of GE foods, we cannot make informed choices about our food. The Just Label It campaign was created to advocate for the labeling of GE foods.

Unlike most other developed countries – such as 15 nations in the European Union, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Russia and even China – the U.S. has no laws requiring labeling of genetically engineered foods. Yet polls have repeatedly shown that the vast majority of Americans, – over 90% in most studies – believe GE foods should be labeled. As ABC News stated, “Such near-unanimity in public opinion is rare.”

I strongly feel that we should have the freedom of choice to make an informed decision and for that we need information. The least we all can do is sign the online petition if for no other reason than to have the ability to know what is in our foods that we eat and feed to our families.
Just Label it petition.

edit on 3/30/2012 by Devino because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I would like to add this after further reading.

"The GMO issue is finally getting traction in the U.S., in the form of an overwhelming preference for labeling among consumers across the political spectrum," said Ken Cook, president of the Environmental Working Group, a non-profit public health and environment advocacy organization.
Source
I truely hope this is true. Personally I read labels when I shop. At first it took a long time to buy groceries but I have gotten better at it over time. I find it very hard to believe that there is a hinderance to the labeling of GMO products, I read about it but find it hard to believe. This is Amercia, right? Freedom to make a choice and all, RIGHT?

FDA declined to discuss the labeling petition, saying that it would respond directly to the petitioner. But a spokeswoman did say that FDA's position on labeling of genetically modified foods is rooted in the premise that there is no "material difference" in foods containing ingredients from genetically modified crops and foods made from conventional crops.
If there is indeed no difference then to label or not is a non issue. This is a line of BS! There is a difference if for no other reason than they are resisting the labeling.

Alongside the national push, the GMO labeling debate is also active in California, where a grassroots coalition of consumer, public health and environmental organizations has submitted what it calls the "California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act" to the state Attorney General.

Backers of the measure must obtain more than 500,000 signatures by April 22 to get it on the November ballot. They say that in addition to giving consumers information about what they are eating, labeling would also allow health professionals to track potential adverse health impacts of GMO foods.
More information found at, Label GMO's.org
This is the next step after the FDA's 'non response' response. If they fail us then we should start on a state level. The premise is the freedom to make an informed choice. Another great point is in the tracking of possible health effects. If GMO products are adversely affecting our health then how can we know this without the basic infomation that labels would provide. Are we to simply trust Monsanto?
edit on 3/30/2012 by Devino because: added link

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
The ‘Just Label It” campaign has gotten more signatures than any campaign in history for the labeling of genetically modified foods. Since October of 2011, the campaign has received over 900,000 signatures, with 55 politicians joining in on the movement. So what’s the problem here?

You're talking about the same government body that approved aspartame and neotame and you're asking what's wrong here? This "government" is wrong. Actually, it's not a government at all. It's a bought-and-paid-for mafia.

There *is* a solution.

edit on 30-3-2012 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I bet if they took a religious stand point it would be labeled.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Cmon gang. We knew how badly government agencies suck at math. That is the main reason everything is going to hell here. You can expect our votes to be counted with the same disregard.

We are all on board the fail-boat.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This reminds me of all the Ron Paul votes that these people (probably the very same people) keep deleting, It has the exact same feel to it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Actually some are
Here's clever a trick I learned for buying produce from a post somewhere.
The produce in US supermarkets is labelled with a barcode, and under that code will be either a 4 or 5 digit number. 4 digits indicates regular, non GMO produce (nothing to do with hybrids or pesticides tho), the 5 digit code indicates either GMO or Organic. If the 5 digit code starts with 8 then it's GMO, if the number starts with 9 then it's organic.

I'll agree with what many others have said, vote with your wallets aggressively!! Refuse to buy or support any product or company that uses/supports unhealthy agribusiness practices. Talk to your friends about this topic, especially your friends with kids, and get them involved in their health and food more. Talk to your local small businesses and find the ones who don't support GMO, and then reward them with your repeat business.

We could easily do some serious financial damage to companies like Monsanto if we all got together on this, sure we gotta kick them and the other lobbyists out of DC first though.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Can't they take the FDA to court to have the papers with the signatures "verified" or notarized or something??

It would seem Everybody signs petitions like these and there MUST be some legal grounds for them being valid - or not, before the FDA can discount so many signatures.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Devino

Thanks for the reply.
I actually posted the Chicago tribune article on my second post,I found it afterwards myself

Here is a picture I forgot to add that goes along with the OP -

edit on 30-3-2012 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter

Originally posted by PerfectPerception
The ‘Just Label It” campaign has gotten more signatures than any campaign in history for the labeling of genetically modified foods. Since October of 2011, the campaign has received over 900,000 signatures, with 55 politicians joining in on the movement. So what’s the problem here?

You're talking about the same government body that approved aspartame and neotame and you're asking what's wrong here? This "government" is wrong. Actually, it's not a government at all. It's a bought-and-paid-for mafia.

There *is* a solution.

edit on 30-3-2012 by jcarpenter because: (no reason given)

I know what is wrong friend
,It is a figure of speech in my expression of how # has gotten this bad,we the people have a part in this as well,a lot of zombies walking around these days,more are waking up,which is good but there needs to be even more before anything will be done..It will take a full revolt if need be..I do not see any other way shy of that to be honest.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
There are many examples of "unforeseen issues" resulting from the modification of the genome.

For example, geneticists found the gene responsible for the fruit fly's eye color. They changed this one single gene which did change the flies' eye color. However, this change of "eye-color gene" also changed the entire behavioral patterns of the altered fruit flies.

I just want to eat my food without worrying about any unnatural, induced, or "unforeseen" health issues associated with mechanized food.

edit on 3/30/12 by Sahabi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   
It's time for guerrilla warfare. Any groups in the vicinity of where these crops are growing, need to go in under the stealth of darkness and rip them out like they did in many countries in Europe. Then, stop buying processed food altogether. Buy only 100% organic fresh fruits, vegetables and meats and other foods. Buy organic seeds and grow your own food in pots, in your yard, wherever there's any soil in your neighborhood. Support CSA's and local farmers who refuse to grow the Frankenfoods.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:14 PM
link   
So from now on just change the petition to "By signing this you allow us to send an e-mail/mail saying "Insert text in e-mail here".

Problem solved....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by lindsay1984

I think you've hit on a sad truth here. Those of us who actually care what's in our food and water are in the tiny insignificant minority economically. Take a look around Walmart some time. 99.999% of people are just shoveling in the very worst of what they can find on the shelf, and loving it. Obesity? Diabetes? Who cares? Hey don't forget the smokes! Are their lives sooo wonderful that they're concerned about not living to be 100? Not likely.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join