It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How many animals have you people killed accidentally?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
as far as I know, 0...outside of bugs, killed lots of spiders, mostly the ones that look like they might not be that nice to me...
I don't drive much so there's less chance of something running out in front of my car I guess...
and I love animals and respect them

but don't worry people, I share all of your guilt!!!
heck, I feel guilty everytime I pass road kill on the road just for driving the car!!!

on the other hand, the owners of those cats and dogs should be taking better care of them, they have taken the responsibility for them, and well, should be taking measure to keep them out of dangerous places...like roads....
my cat never goes out!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I stepped on a frog once when I was a kid :[
and then I hit a deer while driving, I slammed on the breaks (I was going slow enough, I chose not to just relax and plow through it) hit the poor things hip, and he ran off into the forest somewhere... probably to die.. :[
I named him Jeremy....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Funny to read such sorrow over an animal accidentally killed.

Not because empathy or guilt are bad or because the animals life had no value but because an accidental roadkill compared to say clearing a field with a sickle bar mower or taking in a few hundred acres of grain with a combine proabably collects more critter casualties in an hour of operation than a lifetime of driving for most people.

So by consuming any agricultural product each of our animal head counts are much much higher than what we would readilly assume.

That squirrel under your tire from 10 years back isn't even one ounce of the blood on your hands.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Interesting factoid:

More insects are killed every year in the harvesting and production of vegetables than sheep, pigs and cows killed in the last 50 years combined.

Vegetarians ; the true Animal haters
edit on 30-3-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-3-2012 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
I have killed my fair share of insects, mostly spiders because they give me the willies. The smaller ones are ok, but the big one with hairy legs and fat bodies that move like lightning... phoooeeeee, the moment I spy one of those, the hunt is ON.
I've never killed a warm blooded animal, intentionally or accidentally.
Once I saw a pigeon that had been mauled, its legs were broken, all its feathers had been ripped from its back, it's wings were broken. It was using its beak to pull itself along the floor. The sheer horror of seeing such a thing should have had me finding some way to put it out of its misery, but I've no experience in killing birds. A quick twist or pull of the neck should have done it, but if I'd done it wrong, I would have felt even worse than leaving it.
When I walked past it again later than day, someone had done it for me.
I felt like such a coward, I wanted to kill it just to end its suffering, but I didn't know how, or I did but wasn't sure of exactly the right way to do it

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Throughout all of my life it is humans that have caused me so much misery and heartache. Humans have cost me jobs, homes and really the best part of my youth. Animals on the other hand are forgiving, loving and have cost me nothing. Give me some land, some animals and I will be one very happy human.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by KonquestAbySS

Hello to you KonquestAbySS.

I too dislike killing animals with my car. The few animals that I have accidentally run over caused me enough grief that I now drive a bit slower, and watch for animals just as I watch for human pedestrians.

There were two squirrels sitting on the curb together. I come speeding down the road and suddenly one of them runs into the street. I slammed my brakes, but it was too late. R.I.P. When I looked to the curb, the other squirrel was frozen where he/she stood, staring directly at me. I felt a huge sense of sorrow and hurt coming from the eyes of that squirrel. I can't help but to imagine that this squirrel just watched his best friend, sibling, or spouse die because of me.

I don't think we feel more hurt for animals than humans. If you accidentally run over a human, I assume you will be far more traumatized than killing a cat. We are conditioned to hate, to be prejudice, to separate from our fellow human, and to think we are all completely different, whereas we are all family.

For me it's not a human, animal, insect, or plant thing. To me Life is Life regardless the form. I only wish to kill what I must for my own survival. Not for game, sport, fun, because I don't like them, or unmindfully. I respectfully carry insects and spiders out of my house and put them outside. I try not to drive or walk in the rain because worms come out.

Don't get me wrong, I love my fellow human and give charity. But I love and respect all forms of Life, only killing what I must.

Here's an ATS thread about research into the amount of bugs we kill with our cars:

Insects killed by car and the impact on natures balance

That averages to two insects killed (in that particular area of the vehicle) for every 6.2 miles traveled.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by KonquestAbySS
Yeah, I just hope it was knocked silly and it ran off to the side. The problem is my car is kind of lowered. Depressing it is. As for insects? That could be a whole different interesting discussion. Lets just say I have accidentally killed a lot insects, probably around the same amount I killed purposely...

Didn't you stop to see if the cat/possum was alright? it could have been seriously injured and dragged itself off to die somewhere,perhaps in agony,you should always stop after incidents like this,may be that a simple veterinarian procedure would help the poor creature.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I have accidentally and unintentionally killed some animals and it still bothers me a lot.

The first time it was about 5 baby mice. I opened my bottom cupboard and noticed that the lid on my x-lg tub of peanut butter had been chewed on. I pulled the lid off and there were 5 baby mice swimming in about 4 inches of thick, gooey, peanut butter. The tub was about 10 inches tall--too high to climb back up out of the peanut butter quicksand.
I was horrified. I first tried to gas them with car exhaust to put them out of their misery, and when that failed, I had no choice but to set them outside and hope they would die quickly in the cold. I don't like mice, but the way they died haunts me to this day.

2. Last year, I accidentally killed a toad. I was weed wacking out back, being careful to mind the toads, when I looked down and saw that I had sliced a toad in half. I was horrified! I am the one who is out searching the yard and gathering all the baby toads before I cut the lawn. ( every week when I cut the grass, I release them back afterward) The big ones always move out of the way when they hear the loud noise, but this one didn't.

3. I was driving down an old country road and I didn't even see it until
I saw a ball of black fly by my front right tire and skip over the hood and fly to the other side of the road. It happened in an instant and I wasn't even sure what it was until I pulled over and saw the poor kitty's body jerk once or twice and then death came immediately.

I always wondered how someone could not see an animal before they hit it, but know I know. This one came up from a huge ditch, not visible from the road. I never saw it coming.

I hate that I accidentally killed them. Accidents happen and the guilt doesn't go away.
edit on 30-3-2012 by virraszto because: typo

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I accidentally killed 2 squirrels driving. I was sad, and angry, and now I yell at them when Im driving, I know they dont know what Im saying.. but thats what I do.

On a side note, I was watching a commercial for these real life fish baits, and they showed close ups of the fish "falling" for the man made bait. I thought it quite interesting in a weird way, that life is unpredictable, many animals die, and we fell for them, but many humans fall for the same "bait" too.

With hunting, we have to be more cunning, but with things like fish, we use trickery. Maybe we can stop using the word "sheeple" and use schools of fish!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
WARNING: GRAPHIC AND NOT FOR FAINT OF HEART. (just kinda had to get it off my chest...)

you guys probably don't want to read this but...

I was driving to class one night, and I saw a cat... in the road.... and it's cranial cavity was open... and you could see it's brain.... and it was just flipping and flopping around... like. literally jumping with its head stuck on the ground... it was the most heartbreaking thing...

I honestly wish I had a gun so that I could put the poor creature out of its misery..... or I could have driven into the other lane and done so as well... but that would have just made me feel awful.... plus there were cars there too...

sorry everyone... just had to get that off my chest.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am death.

I can't even tell you how many animals I've accidentally killed. I killed a few on purpose while hunting...

As for the insects?

I'm sure I'll be tried for war crimes, but its open season on mosquitoes as far as I am concerned.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I just killed an entire colony. Millions of little lives snuffed out in an instant. You could almost hear the screams. I felt bad for them, but they were only bacteria and I needed clean plates.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
1 squirrel, 1 raccoon, 1 snake, 1 possum, and 3 deer, the joys of a country living

If bikes count 1 semi half dead bird,

Living in the city 0

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I used to drive from Miami to Jacksonville Florida five times or more a week. In the dark on the interstate most times you don't see what it was you just hear and feel it when you run some poor creature of the night over. Always felt terrible after I am a huge softy. My husband laughs at me for trying to catch lizards, geckos and insects that have wandered in the house so I can release them back into the wild. Even though I am allergic to wasps I knocked a nest on the porch into a bucket and ran it to the fence and tossed it over. Live and let live.

I have been thinking of giving up on eating meat and have at least cut way back on how much we eat wish I could say it was more a moral high ground than the crappy economy.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Wow, the squirrel story was really sad. =(

I hit a rabbit once with my car, it happened so fast, all I saw was a white puff of fur in my rearview...Same with the bird that flew into the grill of my car, puff of feathers. Cried both times.

One of the hardest was the half dead gecko my cat had caught. Had a puncture wound into one of it's lungs, I knew it wouldn't make it. I put it somewhere safe to die, but it was taking way too long. I had to take a rock to it's head. That was one of the hardest things I ever did.

But the worst was putting down the kitty love of my life when it was her time to go. I agonized over this one until I decided to have someone come out to the house to do it, and only after the point had passed where she wouldn't think I was killing her, but releasing her.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
One cat rolled under my car, and I tooled an owl on my windshield while driving on the highway...which cracked my windshield....

I still have a vendetta against an opossum I swerved once to avoid hitting that caused me to crash my car.

I don't like to injure animals when driving. But I swear the next opossum I see will have to take one for their team which lead my car to being written off.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
There have only been about seven or eight creatures I have accidentally killed not included insect life. Only three of them were upsetting.

The first instance occurred when I was 9 yrs. old. I was mowing the lawn when I accidentally ran over a huge bullfrog. I felt bad enough that I had ran him over; I felt even worse when I noticed that his shredded remains were all over my feet. I'm pretty sure I threw up and then cried a little.

The next instance occurred at the age of 16. It was one of my first driving adventures as a newly licensed teenager going to pick up some takeout for the fams. I was on a narrow stretch of road in a residential area with plenty of cars going the opposite direction. I saw what appeared to be a small to medium sized smooth rock in the road directly in front of me and figured that if I had to hit something a rock wouldn't be so bad. The resulting crunch and check in the rear view revealed the rock to be a turtle.. one of my favorite animals. I was pretty upset.

The last and certainly the most disturbing was a rabbit. Another instance of myself running over an animal pedestrian. Rabbits jump out in front of cars in our area constantly, to the point where one can almost assume South Florida rabbits are all suicidal. Anyhow my girlfriend insisted on getting out and removing the rabbit from the street. She proceeded to pick it up, and literally play with it.... she giggled at it's entrails hanging out. Pretended like it was hopping about, named it, then speared it with a stick and goose stepped off into the woods with it. It was at that moment that I realized on no uncertain terms that she was, in fact, crazy.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
That I can remember.....2. Up in northern Indiana. Road kill. Possums I think.

I had a dog a few years back though that had a litter of 9 puppies. I kept one, advertised the rest as free for as long as I could when they could actually leave their mother and was able to get just one taker. That left 7. I'm not rich. I can't afford 7 dogs.

Let's just say that I did what I had to the old school way. It's all between the river and me at this point. I figured it was the better alternative than them wasting away in a shelter for God knows how long.

One of the hardest things I ever had to do.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I couldn't even begin to count the number of fish, rabbits, squirells, pigs and deer I have killed for food. I have even eaten BBQ goat meat, now that was a tasty treat. Never felt even a twinge of guilt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join