It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega Millions Makes History with $540 Million World Record Jackpot

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Me and my wife have been looking at several charities and people we know who really need the money to share with.

I heard an interesting philosophy once about this very topic.

Sure, you could simply split up the money and hand it out to a bunch of needy people. However, that means you have to pick and choose who benefits and who doesn't. Also, the people who receive the funds will probably spend those funds rather quickly and be back to square one in no time at all. You may have created some brief happiness for some people, but In the end you didn't really change a thing.

Or you could do something more productive like establish a business which uses a large majority of the profit for funding humanitarian projects. You could establish a firm which monitors government and corporate corruption. You could establish a business which offers cheap education to anyone who really needs it. Or you could fund new ground breaking inventions and ideas.

Simply handing out money doesn't do much in the long term. It's an easy way out and and easy way to make yourself feel good. The deeper causes of the problems still exist. You've just began to scratch the surface, you haven't really cured any of the root problems. You've simply applied a temporary treatment to conceal the true depth and extent of the problem.

But of course this is all fairy tale nonsense. The winner of this lottery will do nothing except buy a massive waterfront mansion that could house 50 people, with a nice boat and a new luxury car.
edit on 30-3-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Yup, put my ten in the pot.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The winner of this lottery will do nothing except buy a massive waterfront mansion that could house 50 people, with a nice boat and a new luxury car.

Or they could donate the funds to publish someone's e-book in progress, and that person after selling 3 million e-copies could start said institutions so talked about about. Money can produce more money, if wisely spent.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
It sure is fun to fantasize about winning. I did go buy two tickets yesterday. If I won, after hiring that finance guru and an attorney, I have a very close friend that would receive a mysterious gift. They are such great people having a hard time.

I guess the thing that blows my mind is the 90% figure quoted on the news this morning for lottery winners that are broke within 5 years. Seriously?
I guess not having much money most of my life, I would be so worried about it, hence the guru.

I would help as many charities as I could.

If you did win, would you want to remain anonymous? Or would you go public?

I would try to remain as anonymous as possible.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
who ever wins needs to see a lawyer first and set up a trust fund, and claim the trust won the money. make yourself a executor for the trust. you can use the money for what ever but if you get sue they cant touch the trust money.(OJ.simpson stuff) buy your house and your cars all under the trust, major tax brakes you can make your children executors as well when you get old and they wont have to pay any inheritance tax. i have a pretty extensive plan in place for when i win
. mind over matter right!
. good luck everyone, your gonna need it. radio said this morning who ever wins this will have more money then jay z, beyonce, or lady gaga, sure there plenty more but those name put in to perspective what kinda loot we talking about here.

funny story my wife and i were talking to our daughters about it and the oldest asked if we would still have to work if we won! lol. i laughed and told her, her kids would never have to work. she was just happy with the thought of being able to open her own veterinary clinic and pit bull rescue, pretty goal orientated 13 year old huh!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by imawlinn

If the Lord means for you to win you only have to buy
one ticket.

Reminds me of a joke.

A good hardworking man was frequently pleading to the lord "Please God just let me win the lottery."
after years God replied. "Meet me halfway - Buy a ticket."

Circkets, Crickets.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

The winner of this lottery will do nothing except buy a massive waterfront mansion that could house 50 people, with a nice boat and a new luxury car.

Or they could donate the funds to publish someone's e-book in progress, and that person after selling 3 million e-copies could start said institutions so talked about about. Money can produce more money, if wisely spent.

lol, are you trying to hint that you want a new chapter of Interconnection?

I'll try to get around to it soon, I've just been busy with other things.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
If I won, I think it would be cool to go into the grocery store a couple times a week, find someone, and ask them if you could pay for their grocery's for a month. And then follow that up with filling their tank with gas! Pay it forward....pay it forward!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

And after taxes, you'll have enough for a tank of gas!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
i would buy couple hundred acres in northern michigan, build moderate sized underground bunker fully self sustainable, build nice ranch style house, huge steel building for indoor rc tracks, get me a couple nice cars, get my medical card back and then just chill. boats and hoes. no nannys no cooks, i would use the opportunity to bring my family closer not hire people to take care of them. hard to get any work done when your day dreaming about that kinda money.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There's no need in any of you all buying any more tickets 'cause I'm gonna win it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

.....and share it with your fellow ATS members?

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
They just upgraded, now its 640 million.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Another 100 million in 24 hours? Amazing.

Talk about a ticket buying frenzy!

Good luck to all who are playing.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrath5639
They just upgraded, now its 640 million.

To me that says...a consortium outside the U.S. is buying up blocks of tickets. It happened about 15 years ago in Ca., Japanese consortium had the winning ticket.

Des

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's 10:00 am Arizona time......can I still buy a ticket or 10?

2nd

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
It's 10:00 am Arizona time......can I still buy a ticket or 10?

2nd

All I know is the drawing is at 7pm EST for me. Go for it, I say.....

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
the mega jackpot went up to $640, 000,000.00 640 million, how much taxes would we have to pay on that? I have the winning ticket!!

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I thought it was 11pm EST? Hmmm...

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by research100
the mega jackpot went up to $640, 000,000.00 640 million, how much taxes would we have to pay on that? I have the winning ticket!!

Count on 50% right off the top. Then everyone who's ever known you will be your new best friend. Anyone who ever got mad at you will file a lawsuit against you.

So that's 50% off the top to taxes....and God knows how much to your team of attorneys.....

Des
edit on 30-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join