It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega Millions Makes History with $540 Million World Record Jackpot

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Mega Millions Makes History with $540 Million World Record Jackpot

www.megamillions.com

RELEASE DATE: 3/29/2012

The Mega Millions jackpot has reached historic proportions. With no jackpot winner in Tuesday’s drawing, the jackpot for March 30, 2012 is an estimated $540 million. This is the largest lottery jackpot in world history, surpassing the previous record of $390 million.

If one ticket matches all six numbers for the half-billion dollar mega-jackpot, the winner would have the choice of receiving the full jackpot in 26 annual payments of about $20.7 million, or a cash option of approximately $389.8 million.

“Friday night’s Mega Millions drawing will truly be a
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
northborough.patch.com
abcnews.go.com
www.foxnews.com

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
(Thanks to the owners for the edit feature!)

At my place of employment, we have been running a lottery pool for quite a while now. Suddenly, we find ourselves in a world record lotto. 42 states participate.

The states that participate have a lotto "consortium", and have guidelines to follow. All well and good.

People, this is half a billion dollars. It's going to grow until Friday's drawing. It's a mad frenzy for hopes of becoming rich, the odds statistically stacked against you, but for a dollar, you can grab a piece of the hope pie for a lifetime of riches.

What is wrong with that?

If the states can produce income obviously from a gambling source, why isn't it utilized to benefit more people? Shouldn't the rules be revised?

It's about money.

Personally, I am running scenarios to help my fellow man if I win. Donating to charity eases the tax burden. How many charities can we think of that will benefit the most people? Creation of a few new ones?

I'm seriously interested in seeing what you people have to say.

www.megamillions.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3/29/12 by Druid42 because: Revised the whole OP.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druid42

People, this is half a billion dollars. Technically, they could disband the lotto, and give the 345 million people that live in the US 1 million each, (think about it), and there would still be change left.

What is wrong with that?

Check your math
edit on 29-3-2012 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4

People, this is half a billion dollars. Technically, they could disband the lotto, and give the 345 million people that live in the US 1 million each, (think about it), and there would still be change left.

What is wrong with that?

Check your math
edit on 29-3-2012 by Carseller4 because: (no reason given)

Divide by 1,000,000. Everyone can have 1 dollar, or maybe $1.25 haha. I want my share!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
That's gonna be a dollar fifty for each person in the USA. But I picked up my ten bucks worth today. Wish me luck!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Not to mention the tax the government wants. Divide by half again. I think there needs to be a new law. No tax on lotto winnings.
(Some other countries do not tax lotto winnings). What can you buy for 50 cents these days? I know the catchphrase "I'd but that for a dollar" but 50 cents doesn't quite have the same ring to it. Not even for a rapper.

In fairness to the OP, all those zeros make me dizzy too. I'm only used to seeing a max of 2 zeros, never mind 6 or 7.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
FACEPALM!

Well, as I lick my wounds, I hope all you guys buy a lotto ticket with that generous dollar.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

You crack me up as always, friend, good to see you around.

Isn't anyone gonna comment on a record lotto here in the states?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I gave you a S&F for making my heart race...if even for just a minute. Math is not my path.....

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Nice to see you around and hey, you meant it well! Congrats on your writer status too. Nice work.
I remember seeing a docu about a guy who won something silly like 400 million a few years back on some mega lottery. He spends his days driving all over the US in a Wienenbago (spelling?(. Ahh...what a life.
ETA Some English busdrivers lotto pool won 40 million recently (was in the paper). No prizes for guessing what they all did. They quit their jobs!

The Dutch have a state lotto. It costs 30 bucks a ticket. Me being a pauper and untrusting of lotteries in general precludes me from taking part.

edit on 29/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Gonna buy my ticket. And while I would give to charities of my choice, I do not engage in collectivism. That money mine (except for the chunk that goes to Uncle Sam

edit on 29-3-2012 by pierregustavetoutant because: wrong emoticon

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by pierregustavetoutant

Maybe we should all take a leaf out of Bill Gates and Paul Allen's book, to name just two. Form your own charity, donate a huge chunk of your cash to your own charity and get a tax break, attract other major donaters and watch your money grow, or at least not diminish. Now that's a conspiracy. Google how much they started with and how much they still have after all that so-called charity work.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

If the Lord means for you to win you only have to buy
one ticket.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Oh, I'll be throwing a $20 in the kitty. What the heck..... $20 to fantasize and lie to myself about how much fun I'll surely have before they call the numbers and announce, one by one they are......NOT MINE!

What is life without those short periods of fantasy though? Over half a BILLION Dollars makes for some very rich fantasy life while it lasts.

Now if I won... Well... Who do I talk to about buying ATS and a few other sites? I'll give everyone working here a raise, shut down the others as I buy them and we'll finally call ATS #1 with no one close. Muhahaha... Capitalism in action.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I bought 50 today.
It was at a poor neighborhood gas station I pass by everyday.

There were about ten people in there including the clerk,so I gave each one of them one ticket.

Me and my wife have been looking at several charities and people we know who really need the money to share with.

I mean,what the hell are you going to do with the cash out of $390 million ?
Sure ain't going to ask my congressman what to do with it,it's a drop in the bucket for them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, but I revised the OP, after realizing utter failure of my thoughts. Temporal displacement sucks hind tit.

Know this, that if the energy of life allows me to interface with the reality of this existence, you will be getting a PM from me. Kindness is repaid, always.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I bought myself a ticket a few minutes ago. And I must say....

How do you all play? Do you choose the random numbers or do you pick your numbers?

I ask because I think the number generator must be broken my numbers range from 27 - 33 including my mega ball numbers. Not thinking its gonna be a lucky ticket......

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Just be sure to remember the OP, muahahah. I have a paypal account,

(Just kidding. If you win, good for you!)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

I don't mean to rain on any ones parade but...I just bought the winning ticket.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks, but I revised the OP, after realizing utter failure of my thoughts. Temporal displacement sucks hind tit.

Know this, that if the energy of life allows me to interface with the reality of this existence, you will be getting a PM from me. Kindness is repaid, always.

Ahhh Druid, the Universe has already bestowed riches upon me today....new baby to the herd born this morn.....

Des

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join