It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fear Of Radiation Treated as “Psychiatric Disorder” In Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
If you're reading ATS, then you most certainly are aware of the disaster in Fukushima and how the media has basically swept it under the rug. We've all been a little paranoid lately about increased radiation, even if we don't live in Japan. According to an article from Sovereign Independent, about a quarter of the people in Fukushima that have been hospitalized since the disaster are being treated for psychiatric disorders relating to the fear of radiation.

Despite the fact that the Japanese government and TEPCO were caught red-handed underplaying the severity of the Fukushima nuclear crisis, a study has found that almost a quarter of Fukushima residents hospitalized in the aftermath of last year’s devastating earthquake and tsunami were treated as having a “psychiatric disorder” because of their concerns over radiation.

How's that for denial? I would liken it to if we were suffering from a Bubonic Plague epidemic and the medical professionals claimed you were paranoid about getting the plague.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
It certainly isn't just an unjustified fear, but I can also see it causing breaks in people that are otherwise healthy. That's a big thing to live with everyday.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Yeah I mean those people are crazy!
Fearing radiation!

And to think, I must be a lunatic too! I fear things like AIDS and drinking too much cyanide. But hey I'm just some idiot who has mental problems.

Brave or mentally healthy people aren't afraid of things like radiation or AIDS. They know it's all a silly risk to worry about and live life as if those things never existed. And no one gets hurt or dies, do they?

I love living in a perfect world where nothing goes wrong.

They should put those people on medication to help them not think about stuff anymore.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Well when you fear something to the point it's irrational or it affects your daily life it becomes a problem. Like germaphobes, we all fear germs. No one wants to get sick. But some people get OCD and let the fear run their life.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Well when you fear something to the point it's irrational or it affects your daily life it becomes a problem. Like germaphobes, we all fear germs. No one wants to get sick. But some people get OCD and let the fear run their life.

Let's go back to my AIDS example.

Is it irrational to fear STDs so strongly that you always wear a condom? Or that you seek to avoid sexual contact with people you don't know? Or is it practical and reasonable?

Or is it rational? What exactly are the proper precautions that a healthy sane person will take? What crosses that line and goes into loony land?

This is a very clouded area of debate especially considering that we are discussing other human beings and what types of physical actions the State or mental health institutions should take to "control" them and "wash their brain of those dirty thoughts".

Do humans have the right to be overly paranoid? Do I have the right to wash my hands 200 times a day if that is my prerogative? Or does society and the state have more authority over my life than I do and can take medical action to stop me?

My personal stance is that health and living are personal issues and that the authority over those matters is the person who resides within the body in question. I do not believe the state or other institutions should have any real power over other people's lives due to their history of negligence and malpractice.

Do these people need psychiatric care for "fear of radiation" or because they are traumatized and victimized being in the middle of a huge 'radiation disaster'? We need to look at these questions very closely.

What actions are considered reasonable precautions? What actions are considered unreasonable or illogical precautions? What types of behaviors are we discussing here?

I don't know about you, but to avoid AIDS and other STDs, I avoid all of the fun awesome orgies and stuff. Sure, I am indeed missing out on some really fun moments, but at the same time, aren't I avoiding a even more terrible predicament down the line in 25years?

Isn't it acceptable for the victims of the Fukushima disaster to start avoiding many 'seemingly normal daily activities' in order to protect themselves from a very real threat in order to avoid problems 25 years down the line?

Who has the right to tell them they cannot take these 'over-precautions'?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I believe its OK to get really irrational and affect daily life when considering its radioactive. Each seconds exposed might equal years of life gone, can I rationally accept it ? Hell no.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

nice retort.

on one hand i would say that there's not much these people can do to avoid it, so just go on with their lives and live the best they can.
on the other hand i would say that the world government is suppressing the real effects of this disaster and are now calling people paranoid because of their fear, in which case, what to do? what to do?
this is a spot between a rock and a hard place.
we know the radiation is at extremely dangerous levels in that area.
the government is denying it.
people are sick and will die because of it.
but fear cannot help.
but what can?
not a dang thing.
people need to leave the area, but for whatever reason/circumstance cannot.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
NullVoid

I believe its OK to get really irrational and affect daily life when considering its radioactive. Each seconds exposed might equal years of life gone, can I rationally accept it ? Hell no.

It’s comments like yours which fuel the paranoia. You know as well as I, that it would take extreme levels to harm someone this much, so extreme they don’t exist or Japanese would be dropping dead in huge numbers, within hours. The highest level (outside the reactor) was detected immediately outside at 10 milliovets which is fatal within a few weeks
www.world-nuclear.org...

Yes radiation is scary, and will obviously contribute to peoples mental breakdowns, particularly if they are already suffering a house loss and or family members. But I would imagine the Japanese have so many people going crazy, from all the stresses, that only those who really are mad, are being treated for it.

posted on Mar, 30 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liberal1984
NullVoid

It’s comments like yours which fuel the paranoia. You know as well as I, that it would take extreme levels to harm someone this much, so extreme they don’t exist or Japanese would be dropping dead in huge numbers, within hours. The highest level (outside the reactor) was detected immediately outside at 10 milliovets which is fatal within a few weeks
www.world-nuclear.org...

Yes radiation is scary, and will obviously contribute to peoples mental breakdowns, particularly if they are already suffering a house loss and or family members. But I would imagine the Japanese have so many people going crazy, from all the stresses, that only those who really are mad, are being treated for it.

Greetings:

Thank you for your time, consideration and participation.

You know as well as I, that it would take extreme levels to harm someone this much, so extreme they don’t exist or Japanese would be dropping dead in huge numbers, within hours.

Ummmmmm. You appear to think that you know what you're talking about, but we sincerely question that, as you use WNO as a resource. That organization is somewhat biased in their point-of-view, don't you think?

The nuclear fuel cycle does not give rise to significant radiation exposure for members of the public, and even in two major nuclear accidents radiation has caused no harm.

These two major nuclear accidents, would that be Chernobyl and Fukushima?

No harm from Chernobyl? Let's see you defend this point.

This is why WNO, as well as all the other nuclear industry-related organizations, are not to be trusted with revealing the truth.

BTW, what is a "milliovet?"

If you are serious about learning more about what is really going on with this ongoing 24/7/365 nuclear nightmare, please join us here and bring your proof of which you speak.

Japan declares a ‘nuclear emergency‘ after quake

We look forward to further communication.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
As far as i know this are People who get a therapeutic Treatment
because they are not satisfied with this behavioral Disorder,
some People stopped to eat or even drinking Water,
this is dangerous and much more harmful than the Radiation!

We are not speaking about People like here on ATS who belief
that everything in F'Shima is poisoned,
instead we are speaking about People who are suffering!

So, the reason for a Treatment is not the "Fear" but a "Phobia",
there is a huge difference in it like a sunny Day or a Night with Thunderstorm!

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human0815
As far as i know this are People who get a therapeutic Treatment
because they are not satisfied with this behavioral Disorder,
some People stopped to eat or even drinking Water,
this is dangerous and much more harmful than the Radiation!

We are not speaking about People like here on ATS who belief
that everything in F'Shima is poisoned,
instead we are speaking about People who are suffering!

So, the reason for a Treatment is not the "Fear" but a "Phobia",
there is a huge difference in it like a sunny Day or a Night with Thunderstorm!

Greetings:

We have been away for an extended period of time due to "natural circumstances" (if one may call a tornado 'natural') and come back to this arena refreshed and somewhat quizzical.

... We are not speaking about People like here on ATS who belief
that everything in F'Shima is poisoned...

...On TBS Television "Sunday Morning News". Radiation survey by Doshisha University and Kyoto Seika University of Fukushima City (in Fukushima Prefecture).

U-drain at an elementary school 56.9 microsieverts/hour; Fukushima Prefectural Government building 20.8 microsieverts/hour, Fukushima Railroad Station 2.4 to 22.4 microsieverts/hour. "Hot spot" everywhere. The Doshisha researcher was surprised to see these numbers. Does Fukushima City residents know about this? ...

Everything in Fukushima prefecture is radioactive - thus poisoned - that's why there is an 'exclusion zone.'

Perhaps you have proof to the contrary?

Also, directly because of the above post, we feel we must address this point now.

Your intentional butchering of the English language (yes, we picked up on the pattern) to make readers assume you are Japanese is questionable from not only morally, but from an ethical point-of-view and we question the reason as to "why?"

You, my friend Human0815, have become the de facto "go-to person," if not seemingly "the only voice" from Fukushima that is still here on ATS. That makes you "the voice" that peeps here on ATS get their information from because we somewhat trust you as the boots on the ground and 'our' eyes on Fukushima.

The reason we are now bringing this up is that when one reviews your posts, a "disturbing trend" is seen. Yes, we have broached this subject before with you, but to no avail. The subtle way in which you drop 'cookies' belies far more intelligence than is sometimes proffered and perhaps is indicative of a truly nefarious agenda is at work here.

We sincerely hope we are wrong, as we have become accustomed to your (mostly) quality posts and you are an "OK" entity in our book - except for that nagging feeling that we are being 'played.'

Thank you for your time, consideration and participation and we look forward to further communication.

Peace Love Light
tfw
[align=center][color=magenta]Liberty & Equality or Revolution[/align]

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to Human0815 AND Liberal1984[/url]

They have a reason to be phobia/afraid, and its even with a strongly valid reason IMHO.
If you think radioactive is nothing much then please volunteer there.

Taken lungs X-Ray lately ?
Notice how they cover you "ehem" and other vital parts ? Notice low long they open the device ? How long they took time to "prepare" you against the time you are exposed to that thing ? I think its like 3 minutes prep vs 3 seconds expose top, and its just a normal controlled rad.

Radiation is natural stuff, but continuous radiation is not, except if you are in high places.
What takes over a year just to cool down ? Not even meteorite or lava can do that.

Ah, yes, the half life of that thing - we will lose our moon first before it happen. Dang!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
reply to Human0815 AND Liberal1984[/url]

They have a reason to be phobia/afraid, and its even with a strongly valid reason IMHO.
If you think radioactive is nothing much then please volunteer there.

I think you arrogance is a little bit wrong here

Radiation is primary dangerous, no doubt about it
and the People should not live in a dangerous Environment, anywhere in the World!

In Psychology we speak about: substantiated Fear versus un-substantiated Fear aka a phobic Disorder,
both a total different cases, symptoms and results!

Fear is the normal and healthy Reaction and lead to a change,
a Phobia is the un-healthy Respond,
because i am not native in English i just copy and paste the answers for you:

A specific phobia is a generic term for any kind of anxiety disorder that amounts to an unreasonable or irrational fear related to exposure to specific objects or situations.

As a result, the affected persons tend to actively avoid direct contact with the objects or situations and, in severe cases, any mention or depiction of them. The fear or anxiety may be triggered both by the presence and the anticipation of the specific object or situation.

A person who encounters that of which they are phobic will often show signs of fear or express discomfort. In some cases it can result in a panic attack. In most cases of adults, this kind of phobia is consciously recognized by the person; still, anxiety and avoidance are difficult to control and may significantly impair person's functioning and even physical health.

en.wikipedia.org...

Fear is a distressing negative sensation induced by a perceived threat. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger. Fear is apparently a universal emotion; all persons, consciously or unconsciously, have fear in some sort.[1].

In short, fear is the ability to recognize danger leading to an urge to confront it or flee from it (also known as the fight-or-flight response) but in extreme cases of fear (terror) a freeze or paralysis response is possible.

Some psychologists such as John B. Watson, Robert Plutchik, and Paul Ekman have suggested that fear belongs to a small set of basic or innate emotions. This set also includes such emotions as joy, sadness, and anger. Fear should be distinguished from the related emotional state of anxiety, which typically occurs without any certain or immediate external threat. Additionally, fear is frequently related to the specific behaviors of escape and avoidance, whereas anxiety is the result of threats which are perceived to be uncontrollable or unavoidable.[2]

It is worth noting that fear almost always relates to future events, such as worsening of a situation, or continuation of a situation that is unacceptable. Fear can also be an instant reaction to something presently happening. All people have an instinctual response to potential danger.
This emotion is described as fear and is inherent in all people.[3]

Fear, whatever its source, can become a controlling factor in a person’s life.[4]

Fear can channel one’s energies away from areas of perceived threats and into directions that seem safe.[5]

en.wikipedia.org...

F'Shima is the biggest Prefecture in Japan, it is the place of the Daiichi NPP
as well as Mountains, Rivers, Towns, Houses and many, many People,
a part of it is in the "Hot-Zone", other parts are "warm" and again other Places are even cold.

There are Places which are unharmed and the People here need to understand this after
one whole Year of Discussion, i didn't believed it either in the first 8-9 Month but
this changed after studying the Facts for now 12 and a half Month!

Please start your Research here: radioactivity.mext.go.jp...
and from there you can go for Institutions of your own choice

reply to post by thorfourwinds

I think a discussion with you is futile for you, as well as for me,
your Opinion is to Rough and you should first send a Letter of Apology
to me, with a tiny Present like Homemade Cookies, Jam or a Handmade Pullover

edit on 1-4-2012 by Human0815 because: format

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is, of course, the government and nuclear industrial complex lying to the public. Of course, living in a radioactive nightmare is not good for your mental health. That is because everything already is poisoned with radionuclides. Look at enenews.com for all proof of this. Japan's only got a few decades left before it is abandoned. Only economics reasons, keep people in affected and even non-directly affected (Food and water) areas. Real disease rates are skyrocketing, especially among children. Proof is all over.

They want Japanese to believe this, so they don't care about radiation. It stigmatizes being aware of the real levels and the real state of the plant. Fukushima affects all of us, but the ones where the radiation concern comes from external levels, as well as internal for everyone else, deserve to be evacuated and have clean food and water free of radioactive nuclides from the 4 reactors. SFP #4 did as much harm as the others, if not more, due to loss of water, even though it's reactor was empty. It is a shame how ignorant the msm and nuclear industry make people to how dangerous these plants are. ENENEWS.com Look it up!

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Human0815

Lets the semantic stuff go away.

The threat is real, anata jinsoku ni nigeru, hayaku, kakkeru !

posted on Apr, 1 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Perhaps it is not that they are being treated for "fearing radiation", but that they are being treated for the stress, depression, and anxiety that living under the constant threat of radiation has caused?

Treatment for stress, anxiety, and depression, all "normal" reactions to severe, life-changing trauma, is considered "psychiatric treatment" since these conditions are manifestations not resulting from Physical Injury or Disease, which would be treated as Medical issues.

Let us also not forget that we may well be dealing with Japanese-to-English language/cultural issues here.

True, the Japanese government, and the nuclear industry, have been less than forthcoming in regards to the Fukushima disaster.

And yes, I polish my TinFoil Hat at least once a week.

But I am not going to try too hard to see a conspiracy where there may only be a misunderstanding.

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
thorfourwinds I take it you didn’t disagree with my main point, that Japan will obviously be overwhelmed with more than enough genuine cases of madness caused by loss of loved ones, and depression, to start locking up people for fearing radiation per say. I’m sure if there were any credible sources of the Japanese mental system being used for political oppression, you (or someone like you) would actually post them.

thorfourwinds Ummmmmm. You appear to think that you know what you're talking about, but we sincerely question that, as you use WNO as a resource. That organization is somewhat biased in their point-of-view, don't you think?
I’m helping design a new nuclear reactor. My nuclear knowledge is better than most!

Don’t you dislike it whenever someone says “this is a biased source” and therefore it’s untrue? But without bothering to show why it’s untrue.

Some day you might discover everything is biased. In fact it’s widely considered impossible to write an unbiased account of history…
www.google.co.uk...=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=impossible+to+write+an+unbiased+account+of+history&oq=impossible+to+write+an+unbiased+account+of+histo ry&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=hp.3...794l18184l0l18498l52l40l1l11l11l4l1274l10228l10j8j8j8j1j2j1j1l52l0.llsin.&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=59 3c0572e87b028a&biw=1366&bih=646
But not everything is untruthful or false. By all means find one of your sources (biased or otherwise) and then we can at least describe the merits of the contradicting info. So far you haven’t done that, though you have (admittedly) found some pretty mad opinion–it was never my point that Fukushima or Chernobyl had harmed no one.

Nor would it be. I’m content that you’ll discover Fukushima is scheduled to be less bad than Chernobyl, and that all nuclear accidents have in total, killed a fraction of those killed by coal. As long as this remains true, and as long as CO2 is a problem, I’m proud to be an supporting nuclear. I even do unpaid litter picking (for hours at a time) so it’s not like I don’t care about the environment. It’s the big picture on life, we should all be most interested in.

Japan's nuclear power fleet has sat idle since a powerful earthquake struck the nation in March 2011, driving a sharp increase in fossil fuel imports and a spike in the nation's carbon intensity, new data shows. Together, these changes have battered Japan's trade balance, increased the carbon intensity of its energy supply, and raised important questions about its future CO2 emissions trajectory. thebreakthrough.org...

Japan didn’t’ have a nuclear crisis because it built a nuclear power plant in an earthquake zone. It had a crisis because it built a boiling water reactor, second because it had woefully inadequate defences, and thirdly because the design was flawed (generators should have been built above ground, as construction workers noted over 35 years ago). If a Pebble Bed Read Reactor had been built no serious accident would be even physically possible. That’s the best lesson from Fukushima. Unfortunately Japanese jobs is suffering a second, (economic) tsunami, due to importing fuel for electricity, rather than keeping the money within their own economy. I wish them well, both in mitigating the damage from bad decisions, and in coming to the best ones -for all Japan.
edit on 090705 by Liberal1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by KillThePoor
This is, of course, the government and nuclear industrial complex lying to the public. Of course, living in a radioactive nightmare is not good for your mental health. That is because everything already is poisoned with radionuclides. Look at enenews.com for all proof of this. Japan's only got a few decades left before it is abandoned. Only economics reasons, keep people in affected and even non-directly affected (Food and water) areas. Real disease rates are skyrocketing, especially among children. Proof is all over.

They want Japanese to believe this, so they don't care about radiation. It stigmatizes being aware of the real levels and the real state of the plant. Fukushima affects all of us, but the ones where the radiation concern comes from external levels, as well as internal for everyone else, deserve to be evacuated and have clean food and water free of radioactive nuclides from the 4 reactors. SFP #4 did as much harm as the others, if not more, due to loss of water, even though it's reactor was empty. It is a shame how ignorant the msm and nuclear industry make people to how dangerous these plants are. ENENEWS.com Look it up!

"Thank you so much to open my Eye's,
oh yeah, the J-Government want to kill us all
and the new Regulations are all faked, Enenews already explained everything"!

You should get at least the Facts straight but you can't get the right knowledge
when you watch Enenews only, they represent only one Side
but there are much and many more, open your Browser and research!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Human0815"Thank you so much to open my Eye's,
oh yeah, the J-Government want to kill us all
and the new Regulations are all faked, Enenews already explained everything"!
Who were you quoting? Or are you just making up, your own arguments?

PS This thread has given me a really mean joke…
Qu: “What’s the worst thing to tell someone in a mental asylum?”
An: The walls are radioactive, the doors are watching them, their food glows, and the government wants to kill, so it can have peace & quite”
If I can know enough on ATS, it probably won’t be that long, till I try this out!

posted on Apr, 2 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Liberal1984

I quoted No One, just tried to make a tiny Joke on the Posting of Killthepoor!

The People here really failed to see the difference between a Phobia and Fear!

Because of my older Job i really love Statistics and Empiric Data
according to the UN-Report on Chernobyl more People died because
of Mood and Mind Disorders than by Radiation
( This is not difficult because according to the UN not so many People get killed by the Radiation),
many People started to abuse Alcohol on a daily Level and died
as an Alcoholic!

No, the People who feel not comfortable or getting really sick because of the Danger
should rent a good Geiger Counter and doing Measurements around their Environment,
they need to compare the Data with the People who know what they are talking about
and not with Enenews or/and Fuku-Diary because they don't
and when the Amounts of Alpha-, beta- and/or Gamma-radiation is to high
they need to move!
edit on 2-4-2012 by Human0815 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join