It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand government bans MMA

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Thailand government bans MMA

www.fighterso nlymag.com

The Thai sports ministry ruled this week that MMA is “too brutal” and it is henceforth prohibited to stage MMA events in the South-East Asian country.

Ministers said that mixed martial arts is “causing erosion” to the sport of Muay Thai and “damaging the image” of Thailand’s native martial art.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
This decision is a very interesting one in my opinion. I do partially agree with this decision though. Through MMA, Muay Thai is mis-represented through the arrogant nature of the MMA fighters, something that has no place in real Muay Thai. Furthermore, there is no sign of tradition, respect or culture present in most MMA fighters who practice Muay Thai.

So, yes, i feel that MMA is damaging the image of Muay Thai. What does ATS feel? Was Thailand swayed by the Muay Thai community to ban MMA, or was it a credible decision?

www.fighterso nlymag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I hate MMA anyway, it's damaging to the human body and nature, violence isn't a problem solver, especially your economical problems. Instead of trying to fight for violence, spend your time fighting for peace. Swings those arms for peace and swing the feet for peace.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
I hate MMA anyway, it's damaging to the human body and nature, violence isn't a problem solver, especially your economical problems. Instead of trying to fight for violence, spend your time fighting for peace. Swings those arms for peace and swing the feet for peace.
I don't like MMA either. Muay Thai is personally my favourite because of the respect and culture which is involved. I also agree with your last point. We need more peace in this world.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

In a real fight , against an encompassing martial artist. Go ahead and use a single art. You'll lose.

Martial Arts is just that ... an Art and a way of thinking / life.

Martial Combat is to kill you and just how quickly can i do it. Martial Combat takes what you have , what he has , what they have , puts it together and then teaches you how to beat it.

Though MMA techniques are not used to kill you or physically break your body in single strikes , they can , but thats not what they have in mind. They have applied power techniques and power strike techniques. Plus ... MMA has rules. MMA gets the drift and is more realistic than a single art.
edit on 29-3-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They're just protecting their own domestic industry from (increasingly popular) foreign competition, the reasons given are just convenient excuses.

Like the article says the ban doesn't affect MMA training, just the parts where money is involved.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I actually like Muay Thai, and I HATE MMA and UFC.

I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks.

They aren't fighters, they are grapplers. There is nothing "Ultimate" about what they do. There are of course a few exceptions, but in general I see the sport as a bunch of nerds with some fight training.

Muay Thai and Kick-boxing is pretty cool, and Karate Tournaments are pretty cool, because they are what they say they are. The old "tough-man" competitions were pretty cool, because they really were tough man competitions. Professional Wrestling is fine, because it is obviously fake, and it is more like a pageant for giant bodybuilders to play make-believe. Fine, I get it, and I enjoy it from time to time.

UFC is horrible. It claims to be something it is not. It isn't kick-boxing, it isn't ultimate, it isn't a karate tournament, it isn't a tough-man competition. It serves no purpose and has no point, and I hate it, and I commend Thailand for agreeing with me, LOL!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
If only we straddled a timeline that glorified cooperation instead of really stupid competition like this. Can you imagine where we would be?

Besides, idiots that fight all the time you should not worry about in any sort of conflict.

Its the dude that never fights -- get him past a certain point, and he'll paint the walls with the likes of Lesnar or any one of the 30 'Silvas' , (read other botched human beings....)

good for Thailand.

edit on 29-3-2012 by gypsychology909 because: filled out

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks.

They aren't fighters, they are grapplers. There is nothing "Ultimate" about what they do. There are of course a few exceptions, but in general I see the sport as a bunch of nerds with some fight training.

Muay Thai and Kick-boxing is pretty cool, and Karate Tournaments are pretty cool, because they are what they say they are. The old "tough-man" competitions were pretty cool, because they really were tough man competitions. Professional Wrestling is fine, because it is obviously fake, and it is more like a pageant for giant bodybuilders to play make-believe. Fine, I get it, and I enjoy it from time to time.

UFC is horrible. It claims to be something it is not. It isn't kick-boxing, it isn't ultimate, it isn't a karate tournament, it isn't a tough-man competition. It serves no purpose and has no point, and I hate it, and I commend Thailand for agreeing with me, LOL!

Finally someone has the same stance as me regardin Muay Thai compared to UFC/MMA!

edit on 29-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Grappling has it's place. It's good to know how to take apart someone's joints from up close, a lot of real fights end up on the ground, or close enough quarters where jujitsu is handy to know. It's better to be well rounded, rather than only know one thing, once you are out of your comfort zone, you have the disadvantage.

I never really liked UFC or MMA that much, or even tournaments. Martial arts was made to defend yourself, not sell tickets and put on a show for a crowd.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by milkyway12

Half of MMA's techniques are derived from Muay Thai, which is a Martial Art/Combat. I did not dispute what you said. I said that i feel that MMA is damaging the identity of Muay Thai.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think this is all about money.

However, there are those in the fledgling Thai MMA industry who think that the government may have been pressured or swayed by the Muay Thai industry.

Muay Thai is huge business in Thailand. It fills arenas all over the country, generates a lot of tourist traffic, airs on television a lot and provides employment for a large swathe of young men who would be otherwise unengaged.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I think this is all about money.

However, there are those in the fledgling Thai MMA industry who think that the government may have been pressured or swayed by the Muay Thai industry.

Muay Thai is huge business in Thailand. It fills arenas all over the country, generates a lot of tourist traffic, airs on television a lot and provides employment for a large swathe of young men who would be otherwise unengaged.

i agree with both sides in the argument. In Thailand, money is the real basis of Muay Thai, the gambling scene is huge! But i still feel thet the 'official' decision is based on fair terms.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
Half of MMA's techniques are derived from Muay Thai, which is a Martial Art/Combat. I did not dispute what you said. I said that i feel that MMA is damaging the identity of Muay Thai.
Is it only damaging Muay Thai? Does it not damage Karate? Judo? Jiu Jitsu? Boxing? Kung Fu? Etc? Why just Muay Thai?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm not a fan. I don't understand the appeal.

But all banning it will do is push it underground along with the child prostitution, drug and weapon markets and other blood sports.

The genie is out since MMA has such broad appeal. This fighting isn't taking place in some shady bar basement with outlaws and tough guys. It's main stream and now a solid percentage of that main stream fan base will follow it down underground where they will encounter other "banned" things.

Stupid move by a government that should know better.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
well I agree with thailand for banning MMA. It's obviously to potect their own national interests monetarily however, they do have a few good points.

First MMA is stupid. The fighters aren't that great, like another poster said whom I agree with that there s nothing ultimate about them. all I see when I watch MMA is bad strikers and bad grapplers. There are a few exceptions but most of these guys can't hold up to a expert in most combatative styles of martial arts. I would like to see MMAers go up against Al Decascos or danny inosanto. Put one of them up against kelly mccann or joe simonet. Hell I think old gene labell could kick most MMA guys asses and he's about 80. Have a real silat guy "play" with an MMAer. try grappling with one of those guys and see what happens. My prediction an cerebral edema related hospital trip. ALso going for a takedown right off the bat in the grappling method that mmaers use in a real fight will fail because the other guy is just going to sprawl for a second and then hit you in the back of the head...very hard... shutting down the takedown attempt. bull fighting doesn't work against an experienced street fighter.

Second. Muy Thai has a ton of history and culture. MMA doesn't really respect that aspect of the art. It may not be important to the average american but its very important in asian culture.

third. maybe the thai are just getting sick of watching wannabes on tv doing BAD muy thai and they've decided to put their foot down and protest against it.

I say it's great to understand both the ground game and the striking game but it seems like MMAers really only get the grappling part and not the striking part. even chuck liddel is a great brawler and pretty cool for MMA but he's still a pretty inefficent sloppy striker with bad angles. and he's one of MMA's better strikers. SO when I watch MMA I just see mediocre martial arts. And fighting like they do in the MMA will get you mashed up fast in a street fight. goes back to angles and what not.

fourth. maybe joe rogans arrogant and ignorant ass is getting on the thais nerves too. even though joe likes MMA "muy thai" doubtful he would really appreciate real muy thai. I've seen his mockery of asian martial arts that aren't jujitsu or mma muy thai and it would be interesting if he actually tried saying all of that s-talk to a good kung fu guy like Al Dacascos. Al if inclined would kung fu hustle him into the nearest wall and elbow and knee and fist and forearm.

FInally maybe the thai just want to preserve the sport of muy thai as it is. the matches are pretty fun to watch.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by daaskapital
Is it only damaging Muay Thai? Does it not damage Karate? Judo? Jiu Jitsu? Boxing? Kung Fu? Etc? Why just Muay Thai?

Karate, Judo, Jiu Jutsu, Boxing and Kung Fu are all extremely well known, whereas Muay Thai is still fighting to rise into international fame, and one of it's main competitors is...MMA. So far, Muay Thai is only popular in Thailand, UK and Australia, maybe some other European countries. I never said that Muay Thai is the only art damaged, but obviously, the uninformed public are going to have misconstrued views off Muay Thai. Furthermore, Muay Thai and BJJ/JJ are the main arts used in MMA.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Thank god, MMA fighters typically make crap up to side step the fact that it is just cage fighting.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Holy crap, it's hilarious that the nation who thought up one of the most brutal fighting systems the planet has even seen has banned MMA because, according to them, it's too brutal.

The real reason is they don't want their national sport, Muay Thai, to play second fiddle. It makes too much money, and they take too much pride in it.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

What a complete load of rubbish! You obviously know nothing about martial arts. MMA is a combanation of many different art forms. This is the way bruce lee wanted martial arts to go, and basically this is what jeet kune do is. A martial art on its own is now way as effective as todays mma fighters, and that is a fact!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join