It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thailand government bans MMA

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by getreadyalready

Grappling has it's place. It's good to know how to take apart someone's joints from up close, a lot of real fights end up on the ground, or close enough quarters where jujitsu is handy to know. It's better to be well rounded, rather than only know one thing, once you are out of your comfort zone, you have the disadvantage.

I never really liked UFC or MMA that much, or even tournaments. Martial arts was made to defend yourself, not sell tickets and put on a show for a crowd.

With that logic, why not get rid of boxing too, which is more damaging to the body and head than mma.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

What a complete load of rubbish! You obviously know nothing about martial arts. MMA is a combanation of many different art forms.

sports.yahoo.com...
Yeah! Star
MMA is a combination of many different martial arts forums. You have homo-erotica, power bottoms, interpretive dance, pitcher, catchers and much much more.
edit on 29-3-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BASSPLYR

Again, completly clueless!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

What a complete load of rubbish! You obviously know nothing about martial arts. MMA is a combanation of many different art forms.

Yeah! Star
MMA is a combination of many different martial arts forums. You have homo-erotica, power bottoms, interpretive dance, pitcher, catchers and much much more.

You seem to have an all-encompassing knowledge of the gay sub-culture than most don't. Are you trying to tell us something?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts

Yeah! Star

Pretty much the anwer i would expect from someone who knows nothing about martial arts. Can't you debate any better than that?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The reactions here are funny.
I don't like MMA either (just like Boxing) but i think it's absurd, that the same people who preach freedom and the right to do what you want are the same who want this banned because they don't like it. "I don't like it, i applaud the banning".
If you don't like it, fine, but saying it needs to be banned because you don't like it is absurd. Let those people who are interested in fighting fight. They don't hurt you and nobody forces you to watch it.

Originally posted by ImaMuslim
Instead of trying to fight for violence, spend your time fighting for peace.

Instead of wasting your time on a message board, fight for peace...or seeing as your muslim, better not, you and your kind don't understand the concept of peace

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks.

Not the best idea for extended life span or joint health, but highly enjoyable if you enjoy catching fists with your face.

They aren't fighters, they are grapplers. There is nothing "Ultimate" about what they do.

In an 'ultimate' one on one fight, I can't imagine out lawing grappling would make it any more 'ultimate'. Plus many MMA fighters enter pure striking competitions and win them. What you're saying is quite narrow.

UFC is horrible. It claims to be something it is not. It isn't kick-boxing, it isn't ultimate, it isn't a karate tournament, it isn't a tough-man competition. It serves no purpose and has no point

UFC was created initially as a method to decide which was the ultimate martial art from any discipline with very few rules. I very much do believe it is still a similar concept; as few rules as possible, and designed to let the best fighter win. What would you suggest they call it?

I'm not a massive fan of fight sports, but I've done some MMA and to say it has no point and serves no purpose is misguided and harsh. It's fairly disrespectful to the people that give their lives to the sport and should have the right to do so. UFC fighters are no nicer or worse than any rugby player or wrestlers. In fact, argubly a lot of them are a bit less controversial.

Here is a quote from Bruce Lee regarding this:

“When your talking about fighting, I mean, as it really is – with no rules – well then, baby, you better train every part of your body!’ - Bruce. Lee, “The Lost Interview.”

Now either Bruce Lee is wrong, and a couple of street brawlers could take the UFC belts as soon as they feel like it ... or much more likely, when you're watching something on a 120 frames per second slow mo replay it looks a lot sloppier, a lot less technical, and a lot easier to thwart than it really is.

Yes, not all UFC fighters are romantisized heroes ... but I can't imagine every single Thailand kick boxer is that nice either or there aren't negative links to organised crime or various other issues such as:

Due to the rigorous training regimen (some Thai boxers fight almost every other week) professional muay thai fighters have relatively short careers in the ring.

Source

I think regardless of your personal preference, MMA has every right to exist as any other competitive martial art and each organisation has a right to have its own culture (or lack of it if thats your claim) and I don't endorse a government picking and choosing between them for cultural or commercial reasons. The worst part is, many MMA fighters are cross competition fighters meaning they enter many types of events ... the whole justification that 'UFC suckzor!' is bit like hacking off your leg to take your mind off the pain in your neck.

The brutality just rings false for me also. Many MMA organisations have cleaned up over the last fifteen years, and I really can't see the difference between allowing a person to do ju-jitsu and force them to just kick and punch till the person in the stripey shirt says stop.

Same stuff, different bucket; I suspect likely is a decision to protect Muay Thai commercially and zip to do with brutality.

And honestly, if you think you can out spar MMA fighters and it's that easy ... please go to the local gym and film this. Don't be surprised if you don't remember all of it, but you will have that video of you being so very awesome to cherish forever.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Now if america could just ban all the hyped up affliction clothing and the dips that wear em walking around thinking they are capable fighters because they go to the local buffet style MMA school and dabble a few times a week in jujitsu. training to fight in a ring for sport is nowhere near training for combat. you fight like you train and I know a bunch of MMAer s will come on here saying that oh well we could fight in the streets too. sure you are shown modifications of the sport moves that should work in a street fight but you don't reflex train the combative side of it. if they did it would reflect in their ring fighting which would be much much more brutal than it already is.

My opinion is if they guy has a bunch of culiflowered ears he's spent too much time letting others mash his head in while grappling. Most pros don't have culiflowered ears because they don't let the opponent hit them. they do the hitting because their striking and angling skills are superior to an MMAer. there is a reason the military doesn't train their SF who will be doing a lot more close quarters combat MMA. the basic military learns some jujitsu but most experts agree that the fighting style taught in WW2 (simple combatives) is still better than the grabbing at straws approach they are doing these days. Every few years it seems like the military teaches officially some other martial art. but the hardcore SF guys learn mostly combatives and Jeet Kun DO based techniques. and even though Jeet Jun Do was originally influenced by wing chun boxing some shoot wrestling and fencing theory most of what is taught in Jeet Jun Do that actually works is the excrima/kali/ silat influence. most serious guys that need to fight for real in combat usually learn stuff that comes from those three southern asian arts because they really work. these MMAers are just jumping on a miopic bandwagon and don't have any clue how real combat and violence goes down.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

reply to post by daaskapital

I actually like Muay Thai, and I HATE MMA and UFC.

I'm 38, and I'd be happy to fight any of those UFC punks for charity to benefit my buddy fighting cancer. I hope one of them read this, and I hope they take me up on the challenge. Punks.

They aren't fighters, they are grapplers. There is nothing "Ultimate" about what they do. There are of course a few exceptions, but in general I see the sport as a bunch of nerds with some fight training.

Muay Thai and Kick-boxing is pretty cool, and Karate Tournaments are pretty cool, because they are what they say they are. The old "tough-man" competitions were pretty cool, because they really were tough man competitions. Professional Wrestling is fine, because it is obviously fake, and it is more like a pageant for giant bodybuilders to play make-believe. Fine, I get it, and I enjoy it from time to time.

UFC is horrible. It claims to be something it is not. It isn't kick-boxing, it isn't ultimate, it isn't a karate tournament, it isn't a tough-man competition. It serves no purpose and has no point, and I hate it, and I commend Thailand for agreeing with me, LOL!

What a complete load of rubbish! You obviously know nothing about martial arts. MMA is a combanation of many different art forms. This is the way bruce lee wanted martial arts to go, and basically this is what jeet kune do is. A martial art on its own is now way as effective as todays mma fighters, and that is a fact!

What else do you expect from an internet tough guy that purports to be a man that could take any MMA fighter at any time, with emphasis on his age?

I'm sure Crocop, who is considered washed up by MMA standards, would cave his head in with a left roundhouse, but who knows. We all know how amazing internet tough guys are at fighting.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've seen some silly posts from people who do not understand the sport or how technical & physically demanding it is. Let me say this, I've practiced martial arts since I was a kid, I've been in mixed martial arts as well. Mixed martial arts is more technical than any other martial arts. You have to incorporate boxing, muay thai, bjj, judo, wrestling, and there are many more. Mixed martial artists are elite athletes and anyone from any other martial arts wouldn't stand a chance. Yes mixed martial arts is violent but there are less injuries in this sport than any other combat sports. For the guy who said he'd step in the cage with a mixed martial artist, well I hope you have good insurance!

As for why MMA is being banned in Thailand. Easy, it's all about gambling and they love their gambling. Plus a muay thai bout is easier to fix than an MMA bout.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   

thank you! rarely do i see in ufc the drama or courage one does n a real good boxing match! as you said, most of the time it is the grapplers that win.

as an example, watch the corrales-castillo fight. for ten rounds, both men beating the hell out of one another. 11th round, 30 seconds in, castillo drops corrales, HARD! corrales makes the count and is very hurt and continues. minute later, castillo drops corrales again. barely makes the count. both ref and corner are a millimeter from stopping the fight. he says he can go on. reluctantly, ref allows it. castillo comes in for the killand isses. corrales counters perfectly and connects and knocks him out! you never see that in ufc!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

My opinion is if they guy has a bunch of culiflowered ears he's spent too much time letting others mash his head in while grappling. Most pros don't have culiflowered ears because they don't let the opponent hit them

Alot of rugby players have culiflowered ears. Is that because they are always getting punched in the face? No, it is not. It has nothing to do with getting punched in the face.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Yes mixed martial arts is violent but there are less injuries in this sport than any other combat sports. For the guy who said he'd step in the cage with a mixed martial artist, well I hope you have good insurance!

You realize how contradictory that is right?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

My opinion is if they guy has a bunch of culiflowered ears he's spent too much time letting others mash his head in while grappling.

A lot of pros actually see the cauliflower ear as a badge of honor.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
So basically it'll go back to wher it came from - Underground! sounds good to me.. more money for bookies ;0)

The fights were more brutal that way - Street Fights!!!

Originally posted by daaskapital

Thailand government bans MMA

www.fighterso nlymag.com

The Thai sports ministry ruled this week that MMA is “too brutal” and it is henceforth prohibited to stage MMA events in the South-East Asian country.

Ministers said that mixed martial arts is “causing erosion” to the sport of Muay Thai and “damaging the image” of Thailand’s native martial art.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
you fight like you train and I know a bunch of MMAer s will come on here saying that oh well we could fight in the streets too. sure you are shown modifications of the sport moves that should work in a street fight

You do know MMA fighters aren't placed in soft padded jars until they enter the arena right? Many MMA fighters have completed military training and trained soldiers. Look up Brandon Wolff. Former Navy Seal and ... ... ... MMA fighter!

Furthermore many of them have been involved in street fights from morons coming up to them and thinking they can 'take them'. Read Bas Ruten's posts / discussions / writing in many places or just about any other poor fighter that went into the wrong bar.

there is a reason the military doesn't train their SF who will be doing a lot more close quarters combat MMA.

There is more than one reason. There is long, short and knife, and generally speaking the Chuck Norris 'get your hunting blade' approach is frowned on in most military institutions.

Guns pretty much nullify the need for one on one hand to hand combat in most situations. I suspect you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh and article about MMA and the military:

“While Combatives training alone builds physical and mental toughness, MMA competition amplifies those emotions and causes soldiers to train harder. The benefit competition has on Combatives training is that you have executed these techniques against a resisting opponent. Ultimately, you’ll know what works and what doesn’t work in combat because you have tested it on your training partner.”

Source

edit on 29-3-2012 by Pinke because: Article

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
hey jay explain what part of my post is clueless. there is combative martial arts and there is sport martial arts. Guys that know the difference will notice just how not good MMA fighters really are.

Thailand probably is banning MMA for industry reasons like is generally agreed upon but there is a point about MMA not respecting the culture of asian martial arts.

Also I haven't had any problems fighting MMA type guys and winning. usually they are bewildered because they are very crude with their angle work and don't understand why I'm not playing the same game they are and have them either locked up or have slapped them silly with Silat combos from behind them the second they punch. besides you think guys like kelly mccann are a joke he taught combatatives for the military for a long time and is still considered one of the experts. he's done it for real and knows what works and what doesn't.

I can talk martial arts and combatives all day.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

thank you! rarely do i see in ufc the drama or courage one does n a real good boxing match! as you said, most of the time it is the grapplers that win.

Obviously you have not seen many ufc fights. There have been many epic fights i have seen in ufc alone. And yes, you also get fights where someone is getting battered all through the fight, but wins in the last round with a tko.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

What a complete load of rubbish! You obviously know nothing about martial arts. MMA is a combanation of many different art forms. This is the way bruce lee wanted martial arts to go, and basically this is what jeet kune do is. A martial art on its own is now way as effective as todays mma fighters, and that is a fact!

My problem isn't with the styles. I agree multiple martial arts styles are superior than a single style. My issue is with the sport and the "fighters." And I use the term very loosely!
They are not much of fighters in my opinion, and I'm more than willing to back it up. I'm not some armchair quarterback criticizing folks that I can't get in the same ballpark with. I am saying, bluntly, and blatantly that these guys cannot fight. I could probably scoop up a half-dozen people this afternoon that could take apart 90% of the professionals in the sport. They have no killer instinct, they don't finish their fights, they don't take the opportunities in front of them, they just concentrate on technique and training, and they couldn't survive a typical saturday night bar fight. A couple of obvious exceptions noted. I actually like one of the Diaz brothers. The younger, smaller one seems to have a mean streak, and I like that. (Can't remember if he is Nate or Nick though?)

I am lumping MMA and UFC in together, even though my main contention is with UFC, because UFC has the audacity to pretend to be "ultimate" and they use the ridiculous chainlink Octagon to prove how ultimate they are.

If I were to lump MMA with Kickboxing, then I wouldn't have a problem with MMA, but it seems the MMA marketeers are leaning toward the ultimate fighting persona instead of just a kickboxing persona, so they get to share in my criticism.

I actually LOVE martial arts, and I have a lot of background in it.

I agree with TKRDL that Grappling is also a very important skill. I'm not knocking grappling at all. Most fights do end up on the ground, and one has to have grappling skills.

And what the hell is up with tapping out? Really? What kind of "ultimate" fighter could ever look in the mirror ever again after tapping out? I've seen people beat half to death with brass knuckles and still keep coming back for more! I've personally spent hours trying to find and pick up teeth and sort out who they belong too after a fight!! Nobody tapped out.
The guys I grew up fighting with would make you rip their arm all the way off and knock them out with it before they would tap out.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

And what the hell is up with tapping out? Really? What kind of "ultimate" fighter could ever look in the mirror ever again after tapping out?

One that can fight again some other day and has the intelligence and honor to know when they've lost?

I dunno, it sounds like you're looking for something akin to Roman Gladiatorial combat or something a bit close to before UFC had rules and blood ended up everywhere. It was quite sickening.

I don't see how your desire for ripping arms off makes banning MMA 'okay' and stand by my stance that most people wouldn't last twenty minutes in an MMA gym nevermind against a pro that doesn't know how to finish a fight allegedly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join